Bike selection for the whole enchilada- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Bike selection for the whole enchilada

We are planning to ride the WHole Enchilada in mid-Sept. My Son has a downhill bike (Iron Horse SGS), he really doesn't enjoy peddling it up extended climbs. From what I gather he should be fine. Good idea or or should he ride a 4" Jamis?

Ride and Smile
    Some might say the Jamis would be better, but I would ride the DH bike. Many would say 6" is a minimum of travel. The only extended climb is the first climb. I think it is short and parts are very steep. Not unusual to see full DH rigs with lots of pads getting pushed up the climb. My vote is WAY MORE FUN on 8" vs. 4"!

Chumley for prez!
    If:
    1. You aren't in a hurry
    2. your son is a mule
    3. You want to see your son suffer

then the IH would be a perfect choice. It isn't so much the sustained climbs I would be worried about....it is all the pedally sections in between. I don't remember the SGS being renowned for it's "pedalfriendliness".

I'd just pony up the 50 clams and rent a 6" bike.

mtbr member

agree

+1 Mr. Welcorn. TWE is a place where you could have a lot of fun on someone else's bike. FYI if you use an AmEx it comes with free insurance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about rentals. Any recommendations on the best shop - I know of Poison Spider and Moab Cyclery.

Had my Son on Hermosa Creek (Durango area) last weekend with his downhill bike. He wasn't impressed after the climb out.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfly
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about rentals. Any recommendations on the best shop - I know of Poison Spider and Moab Cyclery.

Had my Son on Hermosa Creek (Durango area) last weekend with his downhill bike. He wasn't impressed after the climb out.
    I think you are looking at a little more than $50, but if money is not the object and your son's enjoyment of the ride is, then I would rent a 6" bike. For the climbs the Pivot Firebird seems to be really efficent as well as other brands.

http://www.poisonspiderbicycles.com/rentals.html
    http://www.chilebikes.com/rentals.html
    http://www.moabcyclery.com/moab_bike_rentals.htm

The problem with renting him a cool bike for that ride is that he will want you to buy him one at the end of the ride. If you want to keep your son happy and money isn't an object, it will be a good way to help stimulate the economy.

TD

Your Best Friend
    You're looking at about $75+ for a rental in Moab. I say, love the bike you have.

Ride and Smile
    Many folks ride dh/fr bikes from Burro down. I think they tend to get to the bottom much faster than the folks on the xc bikes. And if some local folks are riding bikes from 38-43lbs as their only bike, where is the hardship riding a dh bike down one of the most amazing trails around?
    Most people push their bikes up the only real climb to Burro pass and after that it's a half dozen or so really small up hill sections.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I rode it on my 42 lb Bullit and wished for more travel, bring as much travel as you can pedal and you'll have more fun and go faster...........man is that thing "rattlle-ly!"

I want to see somebody on a 4 inch bike tackle upper body bag!
    I like bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 2