Bike info needed… planning trip to gooseberry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Bike info needed… planning trip to gooseberry

I am used to riding a 29er HT with 100mm front squish. Planning a trip this fall to gooseberry area and surrounding. Will this setup perform out there or should i consider getting a full suspension with some travel on it. I am an intermediate to advanced rider but not wanting to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Your Best Friend
    Is it a mountain bike? Yes? Then it'll work. Riding a road bike there would be more akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hooper View Post
    I am used to riding a 29er HT with 100mm front squish. Planning a trip this fall to gooseberry area and surrounding. Will this setup perform out there or should i consider getting a full suspension with some travel on it. I am an intermediate to advanced rider but not wanting to bring a knife to a gunfight.
    I have ridden Gooseberry 4-5 times, always on a rigid bike, 26" and 29". Always had a great time, and on the surrounding trails, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Frame Building Moderator
    XC bikes are great at Gooseberry. It's not like a giant DH run, it's the flat top of a mesa with lots of small ups and downs - XC trials riding, sort of. You can certainly ride a dualie there and have fun, but you don't need one - and I am saying this as someone who does actually own and ride dualies, so I'm not just giving you the retro-grouch answer.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can certainly find trails around Gooseberry where an XC bike would be hugely inappropriate (i.e. Show Me The Money), but as a first time visitor sampling the archetypical stuff - no problem. These are, among others:

Everything on Gooseberry proper.
    Little Creek Mesa.
    Jem/Gould/Hurricane Rim loop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    You can certainly find trails around Gooseberry where an XC bike would be hugely inappropriate (i.e. Show Me The Money), but as a first time visitor sampling the archetypical stuff - no problem. These are, among others:

Everything on Gooseberry proper.
    Little Creek Mesa.
    Jem/Gould/Hurricane Rim loop.

Those are the exact trails i was looking at…… good to know.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have ridden all those with a hardtail 26er, a hardtail 29er and a full suspension.

Gooseberry is fine with a hardtail. There are no mandatory drops or chunk anywhere.

Little Creek is also fine with a hardtail, but the fun factor goes way up with full suspension. Little Creek is just a giant slickrock playground that can be anything from smooth, flowy cross country to a sphincter-puckering huckathon with chunky near-vertical descents thrown in for good measure. Depends on what you like and how you ride it.

Jem and Gould's is about as perfect a trail as you could ask for a hardtail. There is a little chunk on the rim, but nothing you can't handle. Bringing a 5 inch travel FS here is like lighting birthday candles with a flamethrower.

mtbr member
    Riding Gooseberry on my Moots YBB with an 80 mm fork is what finally pushed me over the edge to full squish. To each their own (and age I suppose) but I'm with Hurkinite on the the fun factor being higher. I'd completely blame it on age but I first rode Gooseberry in the late 90s while I was still in my 30s and 30 pounds lighter.

Just ride!

I rode Gooseberry on a Tallboy C 100 mm rear, 120 front. The rear squish made the ride more fun, and kept me from getting too worn out for upcoming days of riding in Moab. However, a Hardtail with 100 mm travel would have been just fine as well.

JEM is a blast!!

mtbr member
    I can't think of a more perfect bike for JEM. Woohoo!

Like others have said, gooseberry will ride just fine on a 29er HT too but the slick rock is bumpier than you'd think and that takes its toll after awhile and like Rockman said there's lots of really cool off dot options that would be Full squish territory.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I can't think of a more perfect bike for JEM. Woohoo!

Like others have said, gooseberry will ride just fine on a 29er HT too but the slick rock is bumpier than you'd think and that takes its toll after awhile and like Rockman said there's lots of really cool off dot options that would be Full squish territory.
    That's true, it's mostly the pebbly nature of the slickrock that I found annoying on a hardtail. It's not really slickrock, rather it's well-sorted conglomerate. Both L. Creek and Gooseberry are Shinarump Sandstone which is the basal member of the Triassic Chinle Formation. Those quartz pebbles have come a long way, as far as Texas. The same rock at Little Creek is finer-grained and is a smoother riding surface.

mtbr member
    I go to ride these trails 3-4 extended weekends per year and would never ride a HT when I had the option the ride a FS bike. Then again, I feel that way about every area I ride (and yes I actually own a Niner Air hard tail that is me "emergency" bike).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I go to ride these trails 3-4 extended weekends per year and would never ride a HT when I had the option the ride a FS bike. Then again, I feel that way about every area I ride (and yes I actually own a Niner Air hard tail that is me "emergency" bike).
    Which just says, ride the bike you are most comfortable using.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the trails on my rigid and hardtail bikes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Which just says, ride the bike you are most comfortable using.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the trails on my rigid and hardtail bikes.
    This^^