Bike Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Help

Jul 2008

Bike Help

So I may be going to Westminster College in SLC next year. I am an aggressive All mountain/XC rider. I have ridden in Utah this summer. I would take the lift up and then ride the XC/all mountain trails on top, and then blast down on crazy technical trails. I was just wondering what kind of bikes you guys ride, and what bike you would reccomend for All mountain/light FR in Utah. I ride Deer Valley, Sundance, Bobsled, the Crest, Pipeline, and Park City.

POST PICS OF YOUR ALL MOUNTAIN/ LIGHT FR BIKE IF YOU CAN.

Thanks

mtbr member
    You're young....why ride the lift up when you can just climb?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Westminster has the best AD in the State......(just thought I would add that).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Giant Reign X

mtbr member
    Get a Knolly or a Turner.

mtbr member

Titus!

This Switchblade has been a great Utah bike!

Jul 2008
    Nice whips you all got? And what do you mean Westminster has the best AD in the state? Does Westminster have a bike team or club?? Post more pics of your bikes and of just shots around SLC. I want to get a bike where I can ride aggressive AM/light FR. I imagine I will take some trips to St. George and Moab in the Winter. However I will probably be shredding the pow pow.

Jul 2008
    Trying to get a new bike soon

Jul 2008
    any one else? Please post pics of your all mountain/light fr bikes and some action shots. Anyone elso got info on westminster college. Like how are there academics?

Also i found this video. what trails are these? What kind of bikes are they riding? Anyone know where that like rock face thing is he rides down at 1:24?

Jul 2008
    Sorry to be annoying. Its just I need to get a bike kind of soon. So please post pics of your all mountain/light fr bikes and any other info.

thanks a lot

mtbr member
    What does someone posting a pic of their bike have to do with you purchasing one?

Here take your pick from the pics, go purchase one and you will have your bike.....

Jul 2008
    No I was just curious to see what you all ride.

Apr 2007
    Dude, no offense, but this is like asking "what kind of foods do you eat in Utah? What kind of clothes do you guys wear there? Post pics!" There is no one answer nor a right answer.

When I go ride, there are a zillion different bikes that people ride. It's all just based on their preferences. My advice is to demo a few bikes and see what feels the best for YOU.

biking is fun
    PM me when you get in town if you want to ride, i live 2 min from westminster and am always down to do some riding.
    tons of bikes out there, i have the exact same riding style but maybe a little more freeriding. look for something between 5.5 and 6.7 inches of travel. something with about a 67 degree headangle, the more standover height the better,

check into (in order of cheapest to $$$$$)
    kona coiler or coilair
    transition preston FR or dirtbag
    giant reign X
    specialized SX trail
    santa cruz heckler, bullit, or nomad (again in order of $)
    09 intense tracer vp or intense SS or wait for the new intense uzzi

Jul 2008
    Ya, I was thinking of going to Westminister. I ride mostly all mountain. Some DH and realy little FR stuff (2 foot drops) I want a bike that can handle really technical riding, but is not too heavy for XC rides on like the Crest and Park City. Also do you road bike? How is the road biking around there?

Apr 2007
    I road bike, but it's not exactly a road bike friendly state. Not only because of the lack of bike lanes, but because of the construction and weather. Seems like I'm always hitting cracks and pot holes and dodging orange cones. Gravel and debris everywhere, too.

But it does have nice scenery. There is a road called "Wasatch Blvd" that is a pretty good ride. If you're going to be by Westminster, it's close to it. Of course, going up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons is nice (be warned that there is really no shoulder or a bike lane). People who don't like hills much go out to Utah Lake and it's pretty flat around there. I love road biking, too, but just gotta be more cautious around here.

biking is fun
    my bike weighs 35 which i take on crest and up to PC on a regular basis. it all depends on what you consider light. might be best to buy two cheap used bikes. a XC and a DH. its too hard to comprimise between having a light bike that can pedal and a heavy stable bike for DH.
    hmmm....if you road bike and love XC then maybe we shouldn't ride together, im more in it for the fun. i go up slow and down fast, hitting every jump and drop i can find. last time i went with a road bike dude it wasn't fun for either of us. but if your willing to push yourself that 2 feet can become 10 easily, lots of places around to progress and get better at jumping and drops.

Jul 2008
    i am really digging the Trek Remedy 9 with the lyrik. How does it do for fr though?

Members who have read this thread: 0