Bike for Burro Down/Enchilada?- Mtbr.com
    bob
    mtbr member

Bike for Burro Down/Enchilada?

Visiting Moab next week for the first time and will be riding Burro Down/Whole Enchilada. My ride at home is a Yeti 575, but will be renting while in UT. I'm tempted to stay with the 575 but thinking about renting a Yeti ASR 7 or Pivot Firebird but haven't thrown a leg over either. Any thoughts about either bike given the trail I'm riding?

edit: I'll be using a shuttle.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have only done it twice. Once on a too light Enduro and once on my Knolly Endorphin. Liked the Endo much better as it is a bit more burly but still pedals really well. I think all those could work depending on the build and your preferences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My 22.6 lb. Mojo SL (just saying a weight weenie 5.5 inch travel bike can handle the terrain) worked perfectly. Heading out there later this week.

Picture Unrelated
    I have a ASR7 and wouldn't want another bike out there. I'm sure the 575 would be nice, and let's be honest here, there's a whole lot of really great bikes out there. I always find it fun to try something different if I'm renting.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Ride and Smile
    Any bike can handle the terrain if it doesn't break. Some bikes are more likely to break. I rode a 5 inch bike there and found it to be somewhat limiting. If I rode anything less the 27lbs of bike I'd be asking for some emergency room time.
    ASR7 and Firebird are perfect. 575 is good (depending on the build-maybe dangerous) but could be better.
    I have only seen one person I know who lives there and rides well on anything less than a 6 inch bike. (and he doesn't ride it much)

mtbr member

Rode my 575 on it last year and it was great, was glad I had 150mm fork up front. That said, I'm going to try and hit it around the first part of Oct. and I won't be riding the 575. The Yeti is coming down for the trip but TWE day will be on the new Reign X, 7inch bike.

If it were me I'd try the 7, just cuz its kind of a steroid'd 575 anyway and should ride like the 575 just bigger. Have fun.

bob
    mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks for the advice. I'd tried to reserve an ASR 7 but they were out of my size, so I reserved a Pivot Firebird. It's probably more bike than I "need", but hell, it's my vacation and that's how I'm going to roll.

Picture Unrelated
    Whooooo!

You're going to have a great time, enjoy Moab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Thanks for the advice. I'd tried to reserve an ASR 7 but they were out of my size, so I reserved a Pivot Firebird. It's probably more bike than I "need", but hell, it's my vacation and that's how I'm going to roll.
    Good call. An efficient pedalling 6" bike like the Firebird is the perfect set up for BD. Have fun.

I've done that ride on a Turner RFX, Intense 6.6, and Knolly Delirium T and found that they all were just about perfect. I've also done it on my 4 inch HH100x and found that to be fun too.... just different. You have to be much more selective and careful on line choice and have to pass up some of the fun extra-curricular stuff.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

All fat, all the time.
    I rode the whole enchillada for the first time yesterday...what an experience!

We shipped our bikes out for this trip, so I had my 5" trail bike (EX9). It handled things well, but there is definitely many spots where I was wishing I had a 140mm bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That was my original point. Some areas you want something that pedals nice. I just liked a bigger build so I had to be less selective on lines etc. I think a good pedaling 5.5-7" bike is perfect but that is just me. I rode part of it on a Knolly DT and felt it was overkill personally

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Good call. An efficient pedalling 6" bike like the Firebird is the perfect set up for BD. Have fun.

I've done that ride on a Turner RFX, Intense 6.6, and Knolly Delirium T and found that they all were just about perfect. I've also done it on my 4 inch HH100x and found that to be fun too.... just different. You have to be much more selective and careful on line choice and have to pass up some of the fun extra-curricular stuff.
    KR:

Well stated. I can remember riding it on my new Cannondale 80 mm Super V. I thought it was an amazing ride. Then I stepped it up to my 120 mm Heckler: watch-out "comming threw." Now with a stock 160 mm Firebird, I am the happiest old guy in Moab blasting down the last singletrack section of the Porcupine Rim trail with a focused smiling face yelling YAHOO!

I can remember racing two 30ish year old guys riding 180mm bikes from the PR viewpoint down to the singletrack. They took the lead after a lunch break and I followed them on their tails all the way down to the singletrack. That last climb before the singletrack sapped their will to keep up the previous pace, and I was like an old horse racing back to the BARN for a bucket of oats as I passed them.

TD

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great thread. I've also contemplated if my Yeti AS-X ( with Totem ) would be a good candidate? I'm sooooo jealous! Never been out there in the fall due to scheduling. Summers are brutal, but I may have to shuttle in the heat just to do it..HAVE FUN!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A little fyi, Poison spider now has the new 575(2011) in their demo fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Visiting Moab next week for the first time and will be riding Burro Down/Whole Enchilada. My ride at home is a Yeti 575, but will be renting while in UT. I'm tempted to stay with the 575 but thinking about renting a Yeti ASR 7 or Pivot Firebird but haven't thrown a leg over either. Any thoughts about either bike given the trail I'm riding?

edit: I'll be using a shuttle.
    There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Picture Unrelated
    I think your ASX will be a really fun bike up there. Might cost you a bit in energy for the uphills, so don't blow yourself up, but you'll be just fine.

scars > tattoos
    i have two friends that do it on ASXs annually and love it. one with a boxxer, the other with a 160mm van 36.

Talentless Hack

I just rode...

Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    Great thread. I've also contemplated if my Yeti AS-X ( with Totem ) would be a good candidate? I'm sooooo jealous! Never been out there in the fall due to scheduling. Summers are brutal, but I may have to shuttle in the heat just to do it..HAVE FUN!!!
    the Enchilada on a Yeti AS-X with Totem fork Saturday. I bought this bike just for this type of ride and it killed it. I will say it is a bit tall on the top switch backs but was perfect for the rest of the ride. I believe it was faster over the whole course from top to bottom versus other bikes I have due to its ability to float and fly over the Porcupine rim road section. It was hot at the bottom but not terrible, we brought a ton of water and were fine.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sounds like a great time. I also have an older Fox 40 that I run on my AS-X when we head to the lifts, so it sounds do-able either way. My trail bike is an '07 575, but I would have to run the big Yeti for as small of a window as I have to ride there, and as large of an opportunity to really let loose on that kind of terrain! Would love to be up there this weekend for Outerbike.

mtbr member
    I rode my 575 down the whole enchilada last week. Didn't feel like I needed anymore bike than that.....

Members who have read this thread: 0