Big Rain- Mtbr.com

Thread: Big Rain

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Big Rain

Four of us (Chuky, Err, Mrs. Err and JMH) rode the Crest to Desolation/Mill D yesterday evening... the thunder and rain started before we finished climbing the road, and for a while I felt like I was standing on the prow of a fishing boat as I slowly pedaled through the squall toward the top.

By the time we started the descent, the hail had stopped and the howling wind picked up, drying us off nicely, thank you. A moose on the trail above Deso Lake stopped us for a few, and at this point it almost looked as if the sun might peek through the ominous clouds. The skies opened up again as we dropped down toward Mill D, and another less-patient moose had us all dashing for the trees, shrieking like girly-men and women. He lost interest immediately after our cut-and-run and trotted off, laughing at us. The finish was a wet and fast descent, blinking dirt and salt out of tired eyes, but loving every second of having the Crest to ourselves.

After loading muddy bikes and driving down the canyon in wet clothes with the heater on, we were not surprised to see that the valley hadn't received a drop of moisture, and it was as hot as when we left.

I love the mountains.

JMH

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Classic

I love riding on days like that!!! Strange thing is, I know they are up there, but I have never seen a Moose on the Mill D trail and I have been riding it now for 6-years!!! You got two in one ride, that is cool (well I bet running from the Moose was really not all that cool at the time, but looking back it probably is good times).

Sounds like a fun time.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    What a sweet ride!

Man, that moose was gonna git us...

Bored Carp
    Best ride I have done in a while! Grippy!
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good to see some of the crest got rain. I'm still doing the rain dance, and hoping for a couple of rainy nights.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I would wager that it's raining up there about half the evenings this week. Too bad you can't tell after an hour! The ground is sucking it up quickly.

JMH

Bend, OR
    right on!

can't wait to get back. I had a little rain ride down here, but it was pretty lame compared to your's. Sounds like goot dimes.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

JMH -

Glad to hear that you are back riding so soon after the collarbone. I have not been so fortunate. After the bar, I still probably wont be on the bike for 3 to 4 months. It seems as though my break was of the "rare" type that require additional treatment and caution because very few docs have seen this or are familiar with treating it. Brutal.

By fall though, I hope to finally get out and do some riding with y'all. Live it up dude.

Members who have read this thread: 0