Big mountain trail @ Snowbird?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big mountain trail @ Snowbird?

I normally do my lift assisted biking at Snowbasin, was thinking of trying Snowbird for a change of pace. How technical is Big Mountain trail? Currently running a new Tracer so I shouldn't be under biked. I've only ski/boarded there is it worth the trip in summer?

Thx
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    it's a great option. A lot of the Gnar Bros shit talk about how bad it is, but it's really well done. Their terrain there is very steep and rocky, and they have limited options.

There are also good trails in the Baby Thunder and White Pine areas, with a simply 200' climb back to Snowbird Center for another tram lap. This area is not ridden much, and it's more fun than anything there IMO.

If you buy your ticket online at least 1 day before it's only $20/day. There are really only 2-3 technical spots which you need to be careful of, but walking them is easy. Only 50m total if they make you uncomfortable. If you let me know when, I'll meet you up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think some folks got a little excited when they saw this photo(sic photo), and had high expectations for the trail...

But dont worry you won't need a DH bike and there are no drops or technical sections that require a DH bike.

A XC or AM bike is fine. The trail is fun and gets a little better every year with the improvement of berms and the trail getting burned in. I can't imagine wanting to ride this trail more then once or back to back for that matter. I'd do a one ride and then go explore some other trails in the canyon. Or get there early and pedal up before 11. If you want to pedal up give yourself around 2 hours to the top. IMO dropping coin for a full day pass isn't worth it.

I think the Big mountain trail and Snowbird has potential to make it better, its a shame they didnt utilize some of the natural terrain and granite rock slabs. Some advanced B-lines through steep granite sections would be awesome.

Descending Baby Thunder is probably my favorite section in the Snowbird area.

Honestly if your going to do a day of lift served Deer Valley, Canyons, or Sundance would be better if you haven't been yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,

I was scanning mtbparks.com and saw the trail was a 8 mile down hill, perked some interest. The resort is hosting the tour of Utah Saturday might check it out Sunday (not a fan of crowds).
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Combine it with a trip to Oktoberfest and its worthwhile. Do 2, maybe 3 laps, then go hit up the festivities.

mtbr member
    It wasn't worth paying for. Now it's free with a winter season pass. Nice to link it up with another unnamed trail.

Pretty easy overall. Won't need to walk anything if you are a decent biker. Trail bike will be fine.

mtbr member
    Oh, and there are rumors of a new trail going in from halfway down, through Black Forest, and down to gadzoom. Not sure if this is substantiated

mtbr member
    I have done it with a hard tail XC bike. But I climb up and then ride down. This has to happen early since it is downhill only after 11am.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good to know they have some thought for ascending in the trending times of overbuilt bikes and under...errr guess that's overbuilt trails as well.