Beta on trails around Monticello?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Beta on trails around Monticello?

Anyone have recent beta on mt bike trails near Monticello UT? I won't have time to make it up to Moab but would like to get in a few rides while in the Monticello area,,,,,,,,seems like there were a few trails up near the old ski area but it's been years since I explored the area
    thanks

More Chasmism
    Robertson Pasture. Looped from Foy Lake (with Robertson as the DH). Very fun.

hfly

mtbr member
    When are you going to be there? My wife's dad lives in Monticello, and we're going to be down there over Laborday weekend. I'll have to check out that loop.

mtbr member
    El Rancho, there's some info in here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ertson+pasture

mtbr member
    May 2007

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    El Rancho, there's some info in here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ertson+pasture

thanks to all for the info,,,,,,,,i should be there labor day weekend

I'd rather be biking...
    post info about ur trip, there isnt a whole lot of info out there just a few threads here and there and I am hoping to get out there in the next month or so. That would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66

thanks to all for the info,,,,,,,,i should be there labor day weekend
    Cool. I don't know the details of our trip yet, but I know we're staying with my wife's dad in Monticello and I'll be looking for an excuse to escape for a few hours at least once. We should meet up if it works out.

mtbr member
    Well, I rode Robertson Pasture yesterday. Before anyone asks, I forgot my camera. I know I'm an idiot. The weather was perfect, the scenery is absolutely beautiful, and the trail is without any exaggeration the worst thing I've ever dragged my bike over. It has been utterly and completely decimated by horses. Yes a lot of it was rideable, but even those short sections were loose and cratered. A couple miles were only rideable by following the newly forming path paralleling the existing trail - no doubt formed by other trail users that would rather avoid walking in the soft, shredded, crap-filled, narrow, rutted out hourse trail. The surface conditions in the worst sections were either like riding along a loose scree slope or a rocky river bed (not a river bed, just the same concentration of loose, cantelope sized rocks). But by far the bulk of the trail had a similar consistency to that of a freshly tilled field ready for planting - not sand, not mud, but just loose very soft dirt. It's truly sad because the area is spectacular, but I simply can not bring myself to suffer through that ******** hike-a-bike again. I'd rather ride the 4wheeler trails, and that's saying a lot.

I'd rather be biking...
    You forgot the camera....IDIOT! No but seriously, it was in bad shape, huh? Did you anything else on the abajo's? That's total bad news. I was looking forward to riding that sometime in the future. Mostly have been waiting for more info before i take the leap. So was the trail damage due to mostly horses? or are they grazing cattle or sheep up there? I've rode a lot of trails that are stellar in the spring and by summer the grazing cattle and mostly horse traffic has turned them into loose, clumpy, crap filled game trails. Purely sad news to hear and to think we are not allowed to enter wilderness areas because we are mechanized travel. Have they seen our footprint that 99.9% of us leave behind?

mtbr member
    Yes the cows out there weren't helping anything. Good point; I guess I can't 100% blame the horses, but it's so easy to do. I can't speak for any of the other trails in the area, as I just rode Robertson, but I don't hold much hope if they're in open grazing land. I think every trail there that's open to bikes is open to horses.

Members who have read this thread: 0