Best winter XC riding in S. Utah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Best winter XC riding in S. Utah

Anyone have any advice on some great riding near St. George or ???
    Planning a winter trip in Feb.
    Long Slightly techy rides with good scenery desired..
    Thanks
    spokes-person

mtbr member
    Prospector from Red Canyon fits the bill and holds water really well, it's a great winter ride.
    The JEM is also excellent but does not shed water quite the same.

Goose and Little Creek are about 2000 feet higher and will sometimes have snow or ice depending on what kind of precip we get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hard to go wrong really.

The trails in St George are all pretty good, I think the biggest reason that you will get so many opinions about what are the best trails is that there is such a variety of riding avalible. There is smooth fast flowey singletrack on the Green Valley Loop, Stuki Springs, and the Hurricane Rim/Goulds/JEM Technical XC riding on the Barrel roll, and Paradise Canyon, and the Prospecter/Church Rocks are, More difficult All mountain type riding on the Zen trail ,Barrell ride, and Goose/Little Creek. There is Downhill and Freeride stuff that I don't really know too much about too. The variety of riding in St george is like no other place I have ever ridden. Don't tell anyone but its much better then Moab.

So my advice is plan more then one trip to St George. All the trails are great. My personal pick for a long ride with some techy would be to start at the bottom of the green valley loop. Climb to Clavicle Hill and then get on stuki springs and climb to the point. Ride over to the Barrell roll and do a loop on it(Fun). Then make your way to and up garbage hill (Not fun) and Get on the Barrell ride (More Fun) This trail will take you to the top of the Green Valley loop and you can ride the roller coaster back down to your car. Count on 3 hours for this loop if you are super fit, 4 if you are in shape, and 5 if you are in ski shape. I will see if I have a GPS file of this route and post it if I can figure out how.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Members who have read this thread: 0