best wheelbuilder in the North Davis county or Weber county area- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

best wheelbuilder in the North Davis county or Weber county area

My wheelset needs to be trued up, retensioned, etc. Specs are Chris King ISO QR, Mavic 819, DT Super Comp, DT alloys. Obviously I don't want the shop sweep tweaking on them.

I ran into a guy yesterday on the Ogden Overlook trail who recommended Nate or Matt from The Bike Shoppe. I went by the shop and talked to Nate. Seems like a real nice guy. He even suggested to bring in the entire bike, so that after they true, tension, dish the wheels, he can verify the dish matches up with the frame. I just wanted to make sure there aren't others I should be considering. Are these guys the end all be all of wheel builders?

Thanks.

Roy
    Last edited by royta; 07-31-2008 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member

I know it's not in the area you're looking for....but....

Not North Davis/Weber area, but my money is on the guys at Go-Ride, 3300 South 400 East in SLC, 801-474-0081 (yes, they're in my speed-dial). I heard some crazy numbers when I was in there once about how many wheelsets these guys have built - in the thousands.....

A couple months ago I was in there and a guy brought a wheelchair in and Von sorted it out for them. I guess I never thought they were the same but a closer look at the basic construction and the parts were the same... go figure. Trust them for that and your bike is basic in comparison!

Anyway, for your high-end wheelset I think it would be worth the drive. I just had a new DT 5.1 laced up to my Industry Nine hub and the thing is bomber. They work with top notch stuff all the time (CK, I9, Hadley, etc.). They're busy, busy, busy but will give you an honest estimate when it will be done and deliver. Not sure, but if you called and made an appointment you might be able to only make one trip, and there's plenty of stuff in the shop to browse while you'd be waiting. Just be prepared to walk out with more than your sorted-out wheelset! (Note: Not making promises for Go-Ride, just a suggestion to call and ask if it could be an option!)

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If it matters I am having another wheelset built up by Todd at Uinta Bicycles in Kamas Utah (affiliated). In the last couple weeks (he was already a Chris King dealer and could get pretty much any component) but he has become and official Hope, Hadley, and several other components dealer and service center. He has also build hundreds and hundreds of wheels as well. I hope it helps.. Andre

Members who have read this thread: 0