Best Utah Trail Tire?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Utah Trail Tire?

Time to replace the stock Specialized tires on my bike and need some suggestions. I want a 2.1 to 2.3 tire for trail riding (low rolling resistance). I have looked a lot at the Maxxis Larsen TTs, and that is about it. Any help will do.
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

Isisrider

conti's

I have been using continental vertical pro 2.3's for quite a few years and I have never had any complaints. They are not the best rollers, but they never wash out. As far as 2.3's go they are on the skinny side but I am happy and my bike is happy.
    Isisrider

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ditto on the Conti's

can't go wrong w/ the Verticals fr/rr

There's a reason they've had that tire in their collection for ages - it flat out works well in most conditions

For a bit more bite in the back check out the new Slash 2.3

mmm bacon

need more info

what type trails, do you shuttle or earn it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 925hell
    what type trails, do you shuttle or earn it?
    I earn them on this bike.
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

Group Hug Participant

Suggestions on this setup?

I'm thinking about bringing 2 different tires down. At this point, 2 day's in Moab (Amasa & Porcupine) and 2 in Fruita.
    Currently I have on some Sp. Enduro Pro's 2.3 that I'd run in Fruita. However, I thought I'd run a pair of Tioga Factory DH 2.3's in Moab. (Cheap and they seem burly.) My thought is that the Tioga's would be a good tire to thrash on (even though they're pretty heavy.) Seem like a good idea? Or should I just focus on one specific, do-all tire?
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    This question is hard to say. It all depends on you. The type of riding and the places you frequent are huge factors.

If you ride DH/FR you will be riding different tires than the AM/XC crowd. For me I would say for most applications on my bike, 8"F and 7"R (more of a DH setting), I run 2.5 tires or bigger. For races I run 2.5 tires to save weight while still keeping the PSI lower for rolling stuff faster.

On the XC stuff I run 2.2 generally. When I know it will be a little rougher of a trail I run 2.3-2.4.

Tread is a different matter. Depending on the terrain I also change my tires for that. Moab will be different than Goosebury... than DeerValley... than the Navajo Rez... than the SLC local trails... and so on. You have smoother hard pack trails vs loose rocky vs fire roads vs single track vs dirt jumps vs street. It correlates like this: more knobs vs less vs more edging tires vs semi slicks vs knoby as H vs angled vs higher profile vs lower and many more.

Then there is tire compound and casing... harder rubber vs softer rubber. single vs dual ply casing. Correlating like this: DH vs FR vs AM vs XC vs Street..... faster rolling resistance vs slower. Weather conditions and so forth..........

Your probably wondering if I even have that many tires... well sort of. I have learned to have at least 4 or 5 sets of tires that are more well rounded. Then I can change tires before I ride according to what I know I will be doing. But I mainly run 2.5 Maxxis High Rollers for just about most trails. For races I run Minions. Kenda Nevagals are also very versitle if you get lazy to change tires, but they wear faster and can be heavey. Panaracers are also not bad for the price, they run single ply casing and are lighter requiring more air.
    Bikeless Rider

Group Hug Participant

Good info!

But alot to chew on. I'm up here in Pacific NW and tend to ride more XC stuff, with an occasional drop/stunt/what-not, so Utah conditions will be completely different. I'm thinking I'll be more comfortable with 2.3 tire vs. 2.5, since I'll be riding a 30 lb. 5x4 bike. My thought with the Tioga's was that with a heavier/burlier tire, I'd be able to rip around/down with more confidence in the Moab area, while hitting drops here and there, and mess around on the slickrock. Am I thinking right here?
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

NW vs Utah

You're in for a big surprise/treat riding Utah singletrack. Where you probably have to deal with mud/roots in the Northwest, you're riding slickrock/ledges/no mud in Utah--it's a completely different kind of riding, but you'll love it and absolutely return to do it again.

I remember commenting on how technical I thought the trails were in Moab to some guys from the East coast and they just snickered, saying that it was way more technical back East--when I asked them in what way, they said the slick roots made the trails much harder to clean all sections. To that I thought--well, there's technical and then there's technical--no way was I gonna be convinced that Utah singletrack was easy in comparison, it's just different. Go out there and hammer dry rocky trails and give us a report back on your experience.

DOH!
    Michi Comp16 DH 2.2 front, Comp24 DH 2.2 rear for general northern Utah trail conditions. I pull the Comp16 when rinding a lot of slickrock, as it tends to squirm too much for my tastes. The Comp24 is fine, however. You can get lighter casing and kevlar bead versions of both tires, too. Hutchinson Octopus tires are essentially the same as the Comp16.

I've run High Rollers and Mobsters quite a bit, too, but prefer the Michi's. High Rollers are generally good if you're aggressive into corners. They tend to drift unless you get the side knobs to bite hard. I'd say with Maxxis, go with a Minion 2.5 front and a High Roller 2.35 rear for trail use. Maxxis is VERY generous in their tire specs. I've found that their 2.5 are easily no bigger than most mfg's 2.35's.

I've found that I, pretty much, can't run light casing tires at all. But that's me. YMMV. My Michi's are on a 6x6" bike (LenzSport Alpine Brawler DH converted to trail use), mounted on Tioga DH rims.

Members who have read this thread: 0