Best trails in Utah?- Mtbr.com
    lidless ascender

Best trails in Utah?

My girlfriend and I are coming to the States end of Spetember for two weeks and plan to do a roadtrip from SF through Norcal, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Socal and back to SF.We plan to visit some of the national parks and other points of interest and do as much biking as possible, too.
    Which places would you recommend as the best rides in Utah?
    There can be a decent amount of altitude gain (3000 ft+ no problem, but less is not a problem either ), and like flowy singletrack with rocky, rooty, technically demanding sections thrown in.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

...a wiggle theres a way
    i would have to say
    a) The Wasatch Crest (salt lake city) starting from milcreek side. Start at big water trail head -- go to dog lake---from dog lake go to desolation lake -- from desolation go to great western --- from great western go to Wasatch Crest. the top of the crest peaks around 9900feet. This ride gives you an amazing range of technical areas, fast descents, and AMAZING VIEWS! -

b) Slick rock (moab, utah) this is a wonderful world renowned area for mountain biking!

c) Mineral Fork trail (big cottonwood canyon 8miles up on your left hand side) -- this trail is very technical and very steep i do this one once a year and it climbs high and fast very quickly is never crowded and is very very challenging -- due to lots of loose gravel -- it will take you up to about 10k feet and you get some good views as well (basically its an old mine)

d) Bobsled -- not to challenging climbing wise but a very fun coming down ride

those are the ones i can think of at the moment i am sure others will post some ideas

when you coming? how long you staying in utah for?

best regards
    joe

lidless ascender
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out
    We were planning to go to Moab, but the others sound fun too.Especially Bobsled
    We'll probably stay in Utah for only a few days around sept. 25th.We only have ten days for the roadtrip and a lot of groung to cover

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by problematiks
    My girlfriend and I are coming to the States end of Spetember for two weeks and plan to do a roadtrip from SF through Norcal, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Socal and back to SF.We plan to visit some of the national parks and other points of interest and do as much biking as possible, too.
    Which places would you recommend as the best rides in Utah?
    There can be a decent amount of altitude gain (3000 ft+ no problem, but less is not a problem either ), and like flowy singletrack with rocky, rooty, technically demanding sections thrown in.

Marko
    Marko:

If it's open the best rde in Moab, Utah (if it's open) is Burro down. Over 7,500 feet of downhill and 1,500 feet of climbing. This ride will kick your ass in a good way.

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-13-2008 at 09:09 PM.

lidless ascender
    Sounds great, but the 7500ft of downhill vs 1500ft of uphill is confusing me a bit.Where did the other 6000ft of climbing go?

Marko

Pictography

customized
    Sep 2003
    A shuttle takes you the 6000 feet up.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    The best Trail in Utah IMO I tend towards the XC flowly technical side of things....

1. Virgin River Rim - 33 miles of buff to rocky garden flowly single at 9000ish feet above Zion National Park. Honestly best trail to loose yourself I have ridden in Utah, just goes forever and is fun the whole way.

2. American Fork Canyon, Utah Valley - 100s of mile of riding with some real jems. Big climbs, big decents, big scenery

3. Luke's Trail in Price, Ut. flowly singletrack interspersed with technical rock gardens and big boulder to ride on. Not long but there are other trails in the area

4. Gooseberry Mesa, Rockport, Ut - more fun and technical than slickrock, while being less strenous and less feeling of exposure. Also great view of zion park.

5. Mid Mountain Trail, Park City, Ut - fun, flowly singletrack for 25 miles combine with the crest if you have the legs.

Honorable mentions.

Flying Dog - 24 mile loop across 80 near park city, great choice and has some of the most fun section of singletrack that I have ever ridden.

Thunder Mountain - most alien ride I have ever done

Wasatch Crest - awesome views pretty good trail longer ride if you go in to Millcreek instead of BCC.

mtbr member
    That's a lot of driving time to hit all those states and get some big rides in but if it was me I'd think about:

Norcal-1 day in Downieville shaking out the jetlag with a big shuttle ride.
    Norcal-1 or 2 days in Tahoe. Hole in the Ground and some version involving the flume trail.
    Utah-stick to SLC with one of the above recommendations. Moab if you have time but also consider a ride or two in Fruita.
    Colorado-it will be getting close to the end for the high-elevation stuff but off of I70 hit some of the stuff around Vail and then down through Breckenridge and maybe Kenosha Pass. Back west on I50 and do Monarch Crest to Salida or beeline directly to Crested Butte. 401, Deer, etc. Head to Durango for a ride or two. Maybe Phils World near Cortez.
    Arizona-no lack of riding in Flagstaff.
    Back to sw Utah to hit Thunder Mountain-gooseberry-Little Creek. I15 down to Vegas for Bootleg and then Socal? Not much to see there.

Bored Carp
    You could spend 2 weeks in Utah alone. In fact, you could spend 2 weeks in Moab and still ride a different trail every day. Springdale/Zion would be good for another few days. The Northern Utah stuff is amazing, but you will get more out of Southern Utah as a tourist.

The Burro/Porcupine shuttle is really great. Don't underestimate how tired you will be at the end, just because you get a ride to top doesn't mean it is easy.

There are pretty much zero roots/traditional forest rides in Southern Utah, but it is pretty hard to beat some of the desert trails for flow.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    You could spend 2 weeks in Utah alone. In fact, you could spend 2 weeks in Moab and still ride a different trail every day. Springdale/Zion would be good for another few days. The Northern Utah stuff is amazing, but you will get more out of Southern Utah as a tourist.

The Burro/Porcupine shuttle is really great. Don't underestimate how tired you will be at the end, just because you get a ride to top doesn't mean it is easy.

There are pretty much zero roots/traditional forest rides in Southern Utah, but it is pretty hard to beat some of the desert trails for flow.

C

VRR trail is 100 percent forest

here is the TR for VRR, Gooseberry, and thunder Mountain

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...+Southern+Utah

Luke's Trail and american fork

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=70816

more american Fork

http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=25

a mix of everything

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...343#post933343

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky

C
    +1 what chuky said. So many great rides in Utah. Hard to pick just a few.

FWIW, I'm plannng on doing Burro Down in Moab on September 26 and am looking for folks to fill the shuttle. One of my favorite rides ever. Like Chuky said, don't underestimate the awesomeness of this ride. It has it all.... Don't underestimate that first 1500' of climbing either. Going from 9800' to 11,200' feet in about a mile and a half is punishing.... and there's more climbing all the way "down".

Let me know if you're interested in joining me.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-15-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Go to UtahMountainBiking(dot)com and click on the Classic "must ride" button. They do a great job on picking out the best trails and you can read the description and choose for yourself.

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    +1 what chuky said. So many great rides in Utah. Hard to pick just a few.

FWIW, I'm plannng on doing Burro Down in Moab on September 26 and am looking for folks to fill the shuttle. One of my favorite rides ever. Like Chuky said, don't underestimate the awesomeness of this ride. It has it all.... Don't underestimate that first 1500' of climbing either. Going from 9800' to 11,200' feet in about a mile and a half is punishing.... and there's more climbing all the way "down".

Let me know if you're interested in joining me.
    I realise we could spend a month in Utah alone and not ride all the good stuff.You can also spend two weeks+ in my hometown and ride a different trail every week without having to drive for more than 20 miles to get to the trailheads.

@KRob: Sounds good.We'll try to make it and do the ride with you guys.

Btw, thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Marko

Pictography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by problematiks
    @KRob: Sounds good.We'll try to make it and do the ride with you guys.

Marko
    Cool. Let me know. 8:30 Friday morning at Poison Spider Bikes. Sign up here if you're coming.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Team Hardcore Cornbread

If you had 4 days in St. George/Hurricane

I will be making a trip to St. George/Hurricane area the first weekend in October. We plan on spending 4 days in the area and do nothing but ride. So...how do you suggest we use our time wisely? Obviously Gooseberry Mesa . How far is Thunder Mountain from this area? I have never been to the area so I want to make the most of our time and get in some sweet rides. It sounds like Virgin River ride is a must too. All riders are strong for XC and enjoy techy decents. Much appreciated.

Also, is St. George too far of a base? What town is better for location? We have a few whiners in the group who have to get a shower in after a day in the saddle so unfortunately camping is out.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Santa Gorge is a great base for that time of year. You can hit all the local stuff on an am./pm. schedule but still do some of the mountainy stuff as well on other days and get in some good sight seeing. There is usually a few local groups that ride most days of the week so you can just about count on hooking up with some local home cooked guide service.

Give a shout and we'll help you out!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by ddujnitsud
    Santa Gorge is a great base for that time of year. You can hit all the local stuff on an am./pm. schedule but still do some of the mountainy stuff as well on other days and get in some good sight seeing. There is usually a few local groups that ride most days of the week so you can just about count on hooking up with some local home cooked guide service.

Give a shout and we'll help you out!
    Thanks. There is a slight chance we may have to move to 3rd weekend but I will check back later.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member

The Whole Enchilada

Without a doubt my vote goes to The Whole Enchilada (Burro Pass down) I did it twice last year and it rocks. 35 miles 2000' of climbing, (comes in small bites) 7000' of descent. Shuttle up to Geyser Pass at 10,400 ft. and get on your bike and climb a very hard 900' up to Burro Pass at 11,300', I think it's the highest pass in the LaSals. Then the fun begins dropping Deep Creek trail and then Burro Pass trail to Werner Campground. Then climb a tough 300-440' up to the top of Hazard County Trail. Hazarrd is super fun with plenty of doubles, berms and flowy single track for 6.5 miles, it goes too fast. Then you jump on the Kokepelli trail to Sand Flats rd. down Sand Flats a bit then jump on UPS (Uppper Porcupine Single Track) to LPS (Lower Porcupine Single Track) with the Notch, definetly rideable but not by many. Big fun!! Incredible veiws throughout this ride. after LPS you flow into Porcupine Rim trail proper and down down down. The last bit of Porky is single track and super fun. Hit the road and ride 5 miles back to Moab You can do it in 3 hours if you don't screw around and are fast. Man I am salivating just writing this!!! I hope to be on it again this fall. Last year we got one of the last rides in before snows in the LaSals, I think it was the 3rd week in Ocrober.
    Must Do Epic Ride, Have Fun!
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    I forgot Here are some photos! of TWE, Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

Members who have read this thread: 0