Best trails St.George/Hurricane area - your opinion- Mtbr.com
    Come on, dare me!

Best trails St.George/Hurricane area - your opinion

Hi guys,

We're a group from Montreal, Canada and we'll be in St.George/Hurricane in early may for a 8-9 days stay. We have intermediate and advanced riders and I'd like to hear you about the "to-do" trails in the area. All suggestions are welcome. Descriptions, even short, are a must.

Thanks !

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Do you have a special camelback just for the Poutine?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    We have well in excess of 50 (fifty) trails in this area with everything from some pretty gnarly downhill stuff to easy fast and flowy single track.

How many in your group?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

I'd rather be biking...
    Depends a lot of your riding style. We have a lot of different riding options which is a good thing for you. Gotta ride gooseberry mesa, little creek mesa, jem trail system, grafton mesa (if you want some gnarly scenic riding with extreme tech.) While over in hurricane. while in st george go ride zen, barrel trail, barrel roll trail system at the santa clara river preserve, Icehouse trail. Not sure if cedar mountain will have the snow fully melted by then and be rideable ill have to think about that but trails would be bunker creek, dark hollow,blow hard trail and virgin river rim trail are amazing trails up in the trees. check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail info
    Last edited by shelbster15; 02-22-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Where is there 'gnarly downhill stuff'?

Curious...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    We have intermediate and advanced riders and I'd like to hear you about the "to-do" trails in the area. All suggestions are welcome. Descriptions, even short, are a must.

Check these two links; they cover everything.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-st-g.htm

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...gooseberry.htm

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Do you have a special camelback just for the Poutine?
    Oh, I see we have a "connaisseur"... yes, of course! And since I'm French (yeah, froggy, made in France Frenchie), mine will be filled with Bordeaux wine...

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog
    Thanks, I know these sites. I just want to have your personal insights and maybe hear about "secret/hidden gems"...

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    We have well in excess of 50 (fifty) trails in this area with everything from some pretty gnarly downhill stuff to easy fast and flowy single track.

How many in your group?
    We're four. I'd like a mix of those (tech + flowy) depending on the day and power left in the meter... We've been to Moab and Durango last year and enjoyed greatly the two places. Would you say that St. George/Hurricane is pretty similar to Moab?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Where is there 'gnarly downhill stuff'?

Curious...
    Either Red Bull site, Grafton, Flying Monkey and of course stuff up at Brian Head.

We're not "Shuttle Monkey" central by a long shot, but there's a little bit of everything around here.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, I know these sites. I just want to have your personal insights and maybe hear about "secret/hidden gems"...

Secret trails and hidden gem's don't stay secret or hidden if you spout them out to folks on the internet... makes sense?

Is one of your group a lady named Joanne who rides a Juliana???
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

NOT Team Sanchez

The most secretest hiddenest gem of them all!

*in a shrill whisper just loud enough to be heard while pressing you ear to the screen* Have you ever of *pause for dramatic effect* Moab?!!!!!!!
    I like bikes.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Either Red Bull site, Grafton, Flying Monkey and of course stuff up at Brian Head.

We're not "Shuttle Monkey" central by a long shot, but there's a little bit of everything around here.
    Yeah, that all counts!!!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Come on, dare me!
    Secret trails and hidden gem's don't stay secret or hidden if you spout them out to folks on the internet... makes sense?

Is one of your group a lady named Joanne who rides a Juliana???
    No. We have a lady named Anja who rides a Nomad, though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    In 8-9 days, you could ride most every trail around st george/hurricane worth riding... All the stuff around Brianhead will be out in early May. Thunder Mtn in Bryce might be rideable if you're lucky. Trails I would recommend, in no particular order - Gooseberry, Goose to Grafton, Little Creek, Hurricane Rim loop, Guacamole, Church rocks, Zen/Barrels+, Paradise Canyon, Icehouse, Barrel Roll+. Depending on how much you plan on riding a day, you could even squeeze a day or two in Vegas - bootleg canyon, cowboy trails, cottonwood.

I'm sure if you post up again before you leave, you could get some folks here to show you around. I don't know any, but maybe someone might even show you a secret trail or two .

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    In 8-9 days, you could ride most every trail around st george/hurricane worth riding... All the stuff around Brianhead will be out in early May. Thunder Mtn in Bryce might be rideable if you're lucky. Trails I would recommend, in no particular order - Gooseberry, Goose to Grafton, Little Creek, Hurricane Rim loop, Guacamole, Church rocks, Zen/Barrels+, Paradise Canyon, Icehouse, Barrel Roll+. Depending on how much you plan on riding a day, you could even squeeze a day or two in Vegas - bootleg canyon, cowboy trails, cottonwood.

I'm sure if you post up again before you leave, you could get some folks here to show you around. I don't know any, but maybe someone might even show you a secret trail or two .
    Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. We expect to ride Thunder Mtn too, but we'll see once there. We will stop in LV on our way back, but just for a night on the strip...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. We expect to ride Thunder Mtn too, but we'll see once there. We will stop in LV on our way back, but just for a night on the strip...
    Seriously... don't expect to ride Thunder mountain in early May, chances are pretty slim but sometimes you get lucky.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Depends a lot of your riding style. We have a lot of different riding options which is a good thing for you. Gotta ride gooseberry mesa, little creek mesa, jem trail system, grafton mesa (if you want some gnarly scenic riding with extreme tech.) While over in hurricane. while in st george go ride zen, barrel trail, barrel roll trail system at the santa clara river preserve, Icehouse trail. Not sure if cedar mountain will have the snow fully melted by then and be rideable ill have to think about that but trails would be bunker creek, dark hollow,blow hard trail and virgin river rim trail are amazing trails up in the trees. check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail info
    ++1!! shelbster knows what he is talking about...
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

... and if we just ...

Just moved to washington area from santa cruz, ca. Have my v10 and forgot my Nomad (which I quickly realized I will be going back home to grab!). But I can peddle up pretty much anything and can go down pretty much anything.. I need some riding buddies, some practice, before the race season.

Love going fast, working on trails, shaping berms, etc. hitting big jumps, drops, chutes, anything and everything, just need someone to follow rather then gunea pigging everything.. Rocks out here arent so forgiving...

And about your "secret trail" secrets dont remain secrets especially on MTBR or Pinkbike when people start broadcasting over the internet. I just need someone to ride with... PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I WENT FROM RIDING EVERYDAY TO NADA!

mtbr member
    What is the weather like in this area during the summer months? I've only been thru St George on the way to Lake Powell and don't know if I've ever actually stopped? I'm guessing it's scorching hot and not mtn bike riding weather?

Memorial Day weekend? Crowded? Too hot?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    From what I have learned summer is 110 on average, meaning early morning, late evening and night rides are where to go if your looking to ride. other then that, your s.o.l. and want to find some shade, a lake is key during the day. good luck! ive found it here!

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's what I figured based on Lake Powell weather. We could go over Memorial Day weekend which is the only time our sons are out of school from here on out...other than Spring Break and we'll be snowboarding in Park City that week.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964
    What is the weather like in this area during the summer months? I've only been thru St George on the way to Lake Powell and don't know if I've ever actually stopped? I'm guessing it's scorching hot and not mtn bike riding weather?

Memorial Day weekend? Crowded? Too hot?

We ride year round. However, from early June - Aug we get up early and are at the trailhead and on the bike by 7AM and ride until 11AM and then go home a float around in the pool. It;s also a great time for night rides.

Late May is when the higher trails open up like T-mountain, Virgin Rim, North Rim... some pretty yummy riding.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0