Best tires for xc/am trails around slc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Best tires for xc/am trails around slc

hi all, i'm looking for a new set of tires for my stumpy fsr. I ride mostly singletrack trails around town. which tires do you recommend???

my bike came with resolutions, but I keep having problems with them (cuts on sidewalls, pinchflats, etc).

I would prefer something between a 2.2 and 2.4.

thanks for your help.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by rotty2004
    hi all, i'm looking for a new set of tires for my stumpy fsr. I ride mostly singletrack trails around town. which tires do you recommend???

my bike came with resolutions, but I keep having problems with them (cuts on sidewalls, pinchflats, etc).

thanks for your help.

double post
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by rotty2004

thanks for your help.

I've been using a 2.5 WTB weirwolf front and 2.4motoraptor rear combo for about 3 years, 2nd set currently, no issues with flats at all. Good traction, cheap online, and wear well. Have heard good things about the Kenda Nevegal Stick-Es as well but haven't tried them personally.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    After trying out several different tires I have found Kenda Nevegal (DTC 1.95 or 2.1)to be the best all around tire for Wasatch front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run the motorraptor 2.4s also and they are killer.. Literally not a single flat, handle everything well and great all around tire..

Fartographer
    I think the Nevegals are great. I've also been running Weirwolf 2.3's. They roll very fast so they climb good. Downhill they're a little loose if you're on the brakes a lot. And they wear out too fast. But overall I'm pretty happy with them. I do think blockier tires work better here, though.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IMHO 2.5's are overkill for SLC trails. Most of the riding here is smooth and steep. If you ride the wasatch you will be climbing and climbing and climbing, and then a few minutes of Killer DH. This being the case I reccomend a light fast tire that is grippy enough to get you down. I have been using Specialized Fast tracks and love them, but they are easy to shred up, and wear quick. I got some 2bliss Captians with the reinforced sidewall and really think they are top notch. 585 Grams, Tubeless, Grip well, just work. I am sure 100 people will reccomend 100 diff tires, but for me these are as good as anything I have tried.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree with that too. Largely depends on your bike and type of riding. I ride mostly the smooth XC too but ride an aluminum hard tail so the larger tire volume helps. But is a lot to trek around with you.. If you have a plush full suspension then something smaller and lighter is a better way to do. Down south I think the fatter tires would help a lot though...

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    IMHO 2.5's are overkill for SLC trails. Most of the riding here is smooth and steep. If you ride the wasatch you will be climbing and climbing and climbing, and then a few minutes of Killer DH. This being the case I reccomend a light fast tire that is grippy enough to get you down.
    I agree with that, too. Fat tires are always nice on the downhill. But if you've got to pedal, you need to find a balance. Plus, skinnier tires will make you a smoother, better rider. I was using the Weirwolf 2.3s for those very reasons. They're a great compromise.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hutchinson Spiders are great tires for all around use.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Depends a lot on your style of riding, I pretty much destroy anything under 850g mark on the first or second ride if I'm not real careful.

For lighter tires, I love Schwalby Knobby Nick's around here, they're some of the only lighter tires that I've enjoyed. I'm running mine tubless and find they do a great job on my hardtail at 610g. On my other trail bikes I'm running Maxxis 2.4 ADvantages tubeless and they're holding up to anything I can throw at them. Even Mill-D at mach speed doesn't flat them which is pretty cool considering we have 3 or 4 flats in our group almost every ride.

I've tried running various Kendas without much luck for durability. But even my "xc" rides tend to be aggro. I see plenty others running the Nevegals just fine.

Another notable lightweight tire that's great for trail is the Conti Explorer Pro. I've run these tubeless off and on for a few years and had good luck.

With our loose scree around here I find that tires with close blocks, like Small Block 8's don't work that well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wow guys!!!

Thanks a lot for your feedback!!! This stuff is really useful to me and anyone else looking to replace their tires in the SLC area.

I will destroy my current tires ( ) and once they're gone I will try these suggestions.

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0