Best tires for Utah mountain terrain???- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Best tires for Utah mountain terrain???

Anyone have any suggestions for good tires for the mountain trails around SLC/Park City? I am buying a Foes FXR 2.1. with CrossMax XL rims. I am a bigger rider 6'0" 220 lbs. I do 33% climbing, 33% XC, 33% downhill.

Thanks!

JT

Team Sanchez
    Go with the Kenda Nevegals. For the type of riding you describe, I'd go for the 2.3's front and rear. Get them in the dual tread compound. They'll last longer. I run Nevegals on my bike. 2.5 in the front, and 2.3 in the rear, but Southern utah riding is quite a bit different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I ride in Park City a lot and like the Conti Gravity Pro 2.3s for the Back, Vertical Pro 2.3s in the front. I also have the crossmax XL wheels, and I chose those tires because they both come in tubeless. I was running the weirwolf tubeless on the back wheel at the beginning of last season, but I like the conti grav pro better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    I ride in Park City a lot and like the Conti Gravity Pro 2.3s for the Back, Vertical Pro 2.3s in the front. I also have the crossmax XL wheels, and I chose those tires because they both come in tubeless. I was running the weirwolf tubeless on the back wheel at the beginning of last season, but I like the conti grav pro better.
    Up in Cache Valley and the surrounding areas, Panaracer Fire XCs have worked out really well. Light, fast and grippy in the sketchy soil around here.

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

PC Tires...Moab, too...

Conti Vertical Pro Tubeless

No issues,no flats - either locations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    conti's.....

Verticals fr/rr or Vertical fr & Gravity rear, the new Slash could be a pretty sweet rear w/ Vert up front when it becomes available
    if you need 2'1's go w/ Explorers fr/rr

cheers

D

NMBP

29" Tires

I would have to say 29" tires work best, of course that might require a new bike, however that is not always such a bad thing.

mtbr member

kenda bluegroove/nevegal combo

Tried both the Condi's (gravity and vertical) and prefer Kenda bluegroove/nevegal combo. They wear out faster, but are super sticky.

Park City, Utah
    Jun 2005
    With my old 26" bike I rode Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tubeless all last summer and loved them. I live in Park City and rode 5-6 days per week. Now I'm on a new 29'er and run the ExiWolf's, converted to tubeless. No rides in PC yet due to snow, but have hit Vernal this winter and loved them so far.

Members who have read this thread: 2