best tire for Moab (2.2-2.4 size) ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

best tire for Moab (2.2-2.4 size) ?

i'm coming down from Seattle so i don't have a lot of tires suitable for dry riding conditions.

i ride a Specialized Enduro 6" bike w/Fox 36 (lowered to 5" in the front)

i'd greatly appreciate it if everyone could suggest their top 3 tires in the 2.2-2.4 size.

thanks in advance,
    soulcraft

mtbr member
    We were in Moab and rode Slickrock, The Whole Enchilada and the Sovereign Trail. I started out with Maxxis High Rollers on Slickrock and they did just fine. I blew my rear tire and put on some nevagals 2.35 and wow, serious hook up on those rocks. I would not hesitate to recommend those to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    slick rock is best ridden with the oldest, baldest tires you have. I rode the Big Betty 2.4 single ply for the first time on Porc and Soveirgn this year and it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Moab trails have a lot of variation depending on the trail. You will see smooth slick rock (almost like pavement), broken rock, and sand. Sometimes you'll see all three on the same trail. Most good tires will work. I like Nevagals, but second what smithrider said...use old tires on the slick rock trail. It's is like sand paper and eats rubber.

banned
    I would recommend only Dual Ply 2.35 or larger tires for Moab. I did a ride with a bunch of guys recently who didn't take my suggestion and over 30% of the group pinch flated and I spent alot of time helping with fixing the flats that could have been avoided.

If you love to fix flats single ply tires are the way to go.

I personally run getto stans with either a John Tomac 2 ply Neval or a Maxxis 2 ply Minnon or High Roller. Running getto costs about $6 per wheel (when you get good at it) where running normal Stan's costs about $28 a wheel (if you do it yourself).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by traildoc; 12-16-2009 at 11:21 PM.

alien exchange student

Kenda 2.35 Nevegals are my favorites

Howdy, I've been running 2.35 Nevegals in Moab for the past few seasons and I really like the traction, float in sand, and the fact that I don't seem to pinch flat with them. As Traildoc suggests, tubeless works great and it allows me to run pretty low pressure for maximum hook-up.

Cheers!

Mel

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hey Rider Mel!
    we used to know each other well when i worked at sportworks bike racks.
    great to hear from you. i still have your awesome maps! haven't been to moab in 5 years so this late april i am going before the fruita fat tire festy.
    i'm in seattle. please find me at [email protected] or on facebook. let's go for a ride if you are ever in my area.
    all the best,
    eric

Chumley for prez!
    I've had pretty good luck with kenda telonix and el moco....pretty much anything without a bunch of transition knobs should do the trick. Minion F supertacky tubeless (2.5) is a burly tire, and is awesome in dry, sandy, dusty terrain. I don't really care for the minion rear all that much.

Desert Seeker
    Another nod to Kenda Nevegals. I was there for a week of riding this November running 2.2 x 29ers. Performance was great in all conditions and no flats in 6 days of all out riding. I run No Tubes ZTR Arch rims and Stans sealant. For 26" wheels, the 2.35s are a solid choice for Moab's terrain.

mtbr member
    I really was impressed by my 2.4 Motoraptors. They roll really well on the slickrock and hook up well in the dirt. I rode slickrock three times on a pair and it did no noticeable damage.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0