Best time of year in St George / Virgin?- Mtbr.com
    I ride with tools

Best time of year in St George / Virgin?

Alright, so my first ever trip to Gooseberry this month got canceled due to some flaky friends. Next year is gonna be different. I'm going if I have to go alone!

What is the absolute best time of year for riding the trails around there - all the good stuff like Gooseberry, Zen, Little Creek, Thunder Mountain, etc?

Also, if any locals want to do a house swap for a week, I've got a really nice house outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Lot's of sweet singletrack, and tons of touristy things to see and do. PM me for more info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alot of those trails are not close together.

Particularly thunder Mtn.
    Late Oct and November, and depending on the year Lots of December are pretty sweet in the St george area. Late December and Early January can be pretty chilly, but things start warming up again around Valentines Day. Feb and March are pretty sweet in St george as well.
    Gooseberry is a little higher then St george and is best in Sep Oct, and April May.
    The Red canyon area is Way Cooler then St george/Zion. I don't ride there so I can't say when its the best.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Gravity Tester
    If you want to ride the high-country trails like Dark Hollow, Blowhard or Bunker Creek, Thunder Mt. -and- the lower trails, the only real good time is early October. Later towards November, you'll get snow up high, and April will be a muddy snowy mess up there. You can ride there from Aug, Sept, Oct, but Aug. and much of Sept. will have temps. in the upper 90's and 100's near St George.

Spring and Fall for St. Wierd and Gooseberry, as mentioned, April/May & Sept/Oct. will have temps in the upper 50's overnight to high 70's low 80's during the day.

October is a tough time to find lodging in St George. They have a big marathon in early Oct., and then a full month of the Huntsman World Senior Games. Hotels book up all month a year in advance.

The guy with 5 kids
    Jim,
    took my first trip out to St. George back in the end of March. Perfect weather however we could not do Thunder Mountain due to snow. We will be coming back in October of 08' so we can include Thunder Mountain and possilbly Brian Head as well. You will LOVE little creek and the Goose. Check out MTN Bike Buddies, Mark Erickson is a great resource and provides alot for a little $$ as a local guide. Next time I would take 2 days for Gooseberry and maybe even another 2 for little creek(yes they are that good)

dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Right now is about as perfect as it gets. I'd try and spend a week in the area if you could, because there are plenty of great trails to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, right now it's great. We rode grafton mesa, flying monkey, and green valley last weekend. Great weather.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mid September - November are the best, as are Mid February - April/Early May. The nice thing about the area is that there are plenty of options given any weather.

Gooseberry Mesa and surrounding trails in St. George are great year round (though a little hot in the summer).

If it's too hot, drive a little ways towards Cedar City or Brianhead, and you'll be loving life up there.

You really can't lose in S. Utah, no matter what time of year you go.

Members who have read this thread: 1