Best time to hit Gooseberry Mesa?- Mtbr.com
    rider
    Jan 2005

Best time to hit Gooseberry Mesa?

Dirt Rag had a piece a while back about year 'round riding at Gooseberry. But my guess is that January/Feb. might be a bit cold. Any input much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best time of year for Goose

Is Oct Nov, and Mar, April. Many times it is rideable in Dec and Jan, Feb. The biggest problem is the access road. If there has been rain/snow the road gets really muddy and makes access hard. People 4X4'ing the muddy road and making it worse. The trail itself is mostly exposed rock so it dries out fast and is pretty rideable even when wet. Look at the temps for St george and subtract maybe 5-8 degrees. Also July and August are super-hot. Highs probably 110+ on the mesa. The rock that is so good at drying fast reflects the sunlight and makes for a hot hot summer ride. There is not alot of shade during the ride either. Today would be perfect. probably 70 in SG, and 65 up on the mesa. I would say there is about a 70% probability that you will be able to ride Goose comfortably in Jan.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Feb riding

I've been down the first week in Feb the last 3 years and it has been high 50's to low 60's in the day. Great time to ride, but cold as hell at night for camping. Definitely well below zero. Bring a warm bag or stay in Springdale (great rates at nice hotels that time of year).

Also, if it is too cold on the mesa you can always ride in St George. In fact, winter riding in Zion/St George is one of my favorite things about living in Utah... Enjoy!

Nov 2004
    well below freezing or below zero??? if the latter, DANG!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

freezing...

below 0 degrees C. more commonly referred in america as below freezing or 32F. sorry about that!

come to think of it, it probably hovered around 32F at night when i have been there, not well below. have fun!

TOdd

high roller
    Nov 2007
    Best time to hit Gooseberry Mesa? NOW! I went a couple weeks ago and the weather was p-e-r-f-e-c-t.

Members who have read this thread: 1