Best Time to Go to Utah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Time to Go to Utah

My girlfried and I are planning a trip to the S.W for a couple of weeks. We are planning on spending a week in the Moab area. Get a little Mtb/climbing in ect ect. The way our work schedual is it our options are either early summer (may/june) or early fall (sept/oct) from a weather and crowds perspective which is the best time to go. Also we would like to bring our kayaks down with us and does anyone know if the river flows are to low on the green/colorado(above glen canyon)/san juan in the fall for enjoyable white water?

No, that's not phonetic
    The fall, definitely. The high country is free of snow and there are more riding possibilities high and low. I like early October.

I boated Westwater on the Colorado a few times in the fall. Plenty of water for that.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab

September/October is definitely better for riding, but May/June is the peak of the whitewater on the Colorado and Green. You'd better be pretty damn good if you are looking at Westwater or Cataract. One of the things about the Moab area is that there is not a lot of easy whitewater. There is the 'daily' stretch above Moab that is class III in May-June, and other than that it is pretty much flatwater or serious Class IV-V stuff. The big rapids require permits that are given out months in advance, so you need to get on that now if you plan on doing Westwater. You are probably too late for May-June in Cataract.

http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/ww-cal-07.html
    http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/reservations.htm

May/June is definitely more crowded riding and climbing and possibly hotter than September/October.

Members who have read this thread: 0