Best Places To Live In Utah- Mtbr.com
    Wanderer

Best Places To Live In Utah

Hi there,

I've traveled fairly extensively thru the western parts of the US a few times and my thoughts keep going back to Utah.

I am thinking heavily about moving to a totally new place and Utah is high on my list.

What locations would you suggest to look at that meet this criteria:

1) The ability to find a house (not a condo or trailer) for $120,000 or less. Obviously it would not be a large fancy place but I would prefer at least 1300 square feet.

2) Great outdoor activities close by (biking/hiking/camping/etc).

3) Somewhat decent job market.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    You may be able to find a condo in the Sugarhouse area for that price, but likely not a house that doesn't need a lot of love. If you don't mind run-down stripmall suburbs ala WVC or Magna that are a bit further away from outdoor stuff there are those to consider. There really isn't a lot here left in that price range.

You may want to consider Ogden. Property values there aren't very high due to the relatively mediocre level of the immediately local economy, and it's known as the "Armpit of Utah" or "Little Detroit". There are nice areas there, but I'm not sure of the property values.

I'm not going to recommend anything outside of the SL/Ogden metro because it's like the midwest with mountains, and the job market isn't very strong off the Wasatch Front.

What kind of job are you looking for?
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

I railed it like Kong
    Good luck at that price for a house anywhere in the St George area. Maybe a trailer.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

Wanderer
    I just did a real estate search for Ogden. Quite a few places there easily within my range.

Hows the outdoor activities around there?
    Is it one of the more colder locations in Utah?

I have a condo now and I'm just not at all interested in getting another.

I'm currently a data analyst and have an MBA but I know a smaller area probably won't have a job for me that I'm used to.

I'm gonna keep researching a bit.

mtbr member
    As good as anywhere else along the Wasatch, and the same temperature as Salt Lake. Be warned, however, Ogden has some sketchy areas (all goes by what you define as sketchy, I guess). Meaning a good chunk of the town is sketchy.

Where are you coming from? Do you fear the Mormons/hyperconservatism? Ski? These are all things to consider, grasshopper...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Like Bleu said, you will be limited to farm towns or "less fancy" neighborhoods in the smaller cities. Not that there aren't some great houses to be found for that money, you just can't be picky about location.

Culture shock may become more of a factor the further you travel from Salt Lake City.

JMH

mmm bacon
    Sorry to say, 120,000 is waaaay low for the metropolitan areas around SLC, even WVC and Magna are getting $$$ you are going to find a few but they will most likely be in need of alot of love, here's a link that might help you in your search, http://www.blueroof.com/home.php

By the way what do you do....and good luck in your search

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I live in Ogden, and there are some sketchy ares. The homes/neighborhood above Harrison Blvd is great and there is a large trail network very close. However, $120,000 won't get you much. Check out utahrealestate.com and ogdentrailsnetwork.com. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You can easily find an older home in the Cache County-Logan area at that price. The economy isn't as strong up here, but the place is growing and a lot of new businesses have been coming in. The university also provides a lot of jobs even though the pay isn't great. Traffic isn't nearly as bad as the Wasatch front, and we're only about 1-1.5 hours away from SLC.

mtbr member
    I would also recommend Ogden. As for the so-called "sketchy" areas...it seems like salt lakers and those who don't frequent Ogden much are the first to talk bad about the town. Ogden has it's bad places, but it has a lot of heart and the good places are now rapidly growing and outweigh the bad by far. In the next 5-10 years Ogden is going to be amazing. You can find a house for under 120,000...easily up here. Some of the best trails nearby. Wolf Mountain just opened the terrain park...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If your into true Freeride/DH then Ogden and Wold Mountain will be great. However, as many others have already mentioned, if you want to live in the Salt Lake Valley or Utah Valley anywhere close to the mountains, you are looking at serious cash. Just to let you know, I just purchased a 1,300 SF condo in Utah Valley that is right by the mountains, but is was $200,000. As for homes in those areas, forgetaboutit!!! Park City, well I don't even need to start, but if you are not opposed to a hour or so drive to work, you might want to check out some places east of Park City and Heber like Kamas, Oakley, Francis, etc. All in the mountains with great access to everything outdoors you could want. These towns are approximatly a one hour drive up the canyon from Salt Lake City and about 15-minuets from Park City, yet the real estae has not gone completely crazy at these rural little places yet. It might not hurt to check them out.

Bored Carp
    We just went throught the home search process for ourselves and are also helping someone to find a home for less than $200K.

First, get onto Blueroof. This will give you a very clear idea about what is available in the area in your price range. Second, check Craig's List every day (we actually found our place on CL, but most of the places I looked at were on Blueroof). You can find very inexpensive homes in SLC, but these homes are typically very rundown and in parts of the town that some people are afraid of - these areas are more ethnically diverse and poor than the costlier areas in SLC, FWIW.

As for the cities east of PC, you have to go as far east as Evanston before the prices really drop, if what you are looking for is a traditional house situation (added bonus, no income tax in Wyoming). I don't really like Evanston.

Heber, Coalville, etc seem to be suffering "bedroom community-itis". All the people who work in PC have to live somewhere, and since they can't typically afford PC, they have to go to the outlying areas.

One thing people are forgetting to mention when they speak about Ogden: the city is aggressivly pursuing new business, and has created anumber of incentives to encourage companies to relocate - I think that this is going to result in a real shift in property values/lifestyle in Ogden over the next couple of years:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6325422

* Amer Sports (Salomon, Atomic, Bonfire and Suunto)
    * Goode Ski Industries
    * Scott
    * Rossignol
    * Descente (DNA)
    * Nidecker
    * Kahuna
    * SnowSports Interactive
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Wanderer
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    Hi there,

I've traveled fairly extensively thru the western parts of the US a few times and my thoughts keep going back to Utah.

I am thinking heavily about moving to a totally new place and Utah is high on my list.

What locations would you suggest to look at that meet this criteria:

1) The ability to find a house (not a condo or trailer) for $120,000 or less. Obviously it would not be a large fancy place but I would prefer at least 1300 square feet.

2) Great outdoor activities close by (biking/hiking/camping/etc).

3) Somewhat decent job market.

Thanks in advance
    Check out the Uintah Basin. Not sure that there's a ton of jobs out there for MBA's but there's some. The economy is booming and the outdoor possibilities are unlimited. Vernal has 2 resevoirs within 13 miles for water activities, Flaming Gorge is a 45 min drive, you're at the base of the Uintah Mountains, great fly fishing, camping, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Plus you don't have to deal with urban sprawl, smog, and traffic.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Jul 2007

utah county.

you'd probably be able to get a condo/small house in Saratoga Springs or Eagle Mountain for about that. and you'd be right up in the mountains too.

mtbr member
    If by barren hills covered in sagebrush, ATVs, and fire roads you mean "mountains", then sure.

Jul 2007
    hey i never said they were great. but let me rephrase... sagebush coverd, burnt, atv ridden, rolling hills..... better?

Members who have read this thread: 0