Best places to camp in Moab?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2010

Best places to camp in Moab?

Some friends and I are planning a trip out West. We'll be staying in or around Moab for three nights, and don't really want to pay for a motel.

Could you guys suggest a good place to crash?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lazy Lizard hostel.

Never been, Never seen it, just heard that it exists and is cheap,
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There used to be a lot of free, uncontrolled camping around Moab, but it is pretty much all controlled now.

There are several commercial campgrounds, but unless you really need that kind of experience, they are to be avoided if you are tent camping. The only exception is the Up The Creek campground, which is tent-only, and right in town. It is a very cool spot. It is *not* a party spot though. http://www.moabupthecreek.com/

There are literally dozens of BLM campgrounds around Moab with pit toilets. Along the river along Highway 128, Potash Road, and Kane Creek Road are several campgrounds. The best BLM campground in Moab is Moonflower, but I didn't tell you that. BLM has bumped their fees to $12 per night. Here is a link to all the BLM campgrounds.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...mpgrounds.html

You can still camp for free about 20 miles north of town in various uncontrolled areas, but you must have a porta potty with you. There are some absolutely insanely cool sites up there, but if I told you about them, I'd have to kill you.

If you are going in summer, there are free and beautiful NFS sites in the La Sals.

Bikes are good

Slickrock area

From AK. We found a cool campground up above the slickrock trail. There are several organized spots up there as well as a few tucked away. We spent 3 nights there, and a few nights other places. That was a cool spot. Take a dust cover mask for the crappers. They are some of the narstiest things I have ever hovered an ass over. Other than that, epic place I thought. $10/ night, and you can ride right to the slickrock trail.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Jan 2010
    haha thanks for the heads up about the outhouses.
    do those camps have a name?

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by -slickwilly-
    haha thanks for the heads up about the outhouses.
    do those camps have a name?
    Sand Flats Recreation Area.

You can get more info on Sand Flats through the link honkinunit provided above. Good info in that post by the way.

FW

Aug 2009
    There are also some uncontrolled spots south of town about 20 miles in the "Behind the Rocks" area-a couple of caves set into a slickrock 'island'. Again, a porta-potty is a must.

When I just need to get out of town for a night I'll head up to the campsites at the far end of the the Slickrock Rec area I think it's $10/night, but the sites are well maintained and kept clean, and there are some killer views!

mtbr member
    I like Sand Flats too. Can't go wrong with any of the riverside camping either.

Bikes are good

I'm not sure of a name

Check out Slickrock Campsites and somethign might pop up on google.

Good luck. We are heading to St. George Utah and Bootleg Canyon in NEvada for riding in a few weeks. Will be nice to get out of the snow.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Members who have read this thread: 0