Best One Day In Fruita- Mtbr.com
    Anytime. Anywhere.

Best One Day In Fruita

My friends and I are going to Moab in October and we would like to take a day trip to Fruita. We are pretty solid riders from BC, although getting a little long in the tooth. I have been to Fruita a few times over the years and really enjoyed Zippity and Ribbon last time I was there. What is the absolute best trail to hit if we only have 1 day?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Day at Lunch Loops or a day at Loma on Horsethief/Mary’s/Moore Fun. Loma is closer to Moab just west of Fruita and Lunch Loops are in Grand Junction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^ Agreed. Some version of Holy Cross and Horsetheif. I've always found the fun factor on Horsetheif/Mary's/More Fun really high and those shelves of rock overlooking the Colorado really cool. Don't forget to get some OG Jersey pizza.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have a little different opinion in that I'd vote for 18 Road trails (Zippity, Joe's, etc.). Hear me out on rationale: You can ride the crap out of that area in a day (getting all of the best stuff in), and while the trails there don't have the tech, features, etc. of lunch loops or Kokopelli, they offer something you're not going to find during your time in Moab... super fast, flowy fun. You're going to get a good diet of tech and featury riding in Moab, so 18 Road is sort of the perfect complement to that.

Of course, that advice is based on knowing nothing about your group's riding preferences, so take with a lump of salt...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I found Horsethief pretty blah compared to Santa Cruz or even Fort Ord---fun enough but not what I expected so far a field so would suggest looking else where--I did not ride other local tails ----

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I remember riding Moore Fun and that's not what I like. My favourite trails are what I call chunk-flow. Rough or buff, I like to go fast down hill. We have our technophile in the group but, he will get his fix in Moab.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Hard choice between LL or Koko

LL: Ribbon, Gunny, Holy Cross

Koko: Horsethief, Mack Ridge (up), and Hawkeye (down, new trail). I actually like Hawkeye up and Mack down, but I like steep tech ups.

18rd has lost a little luster for me, it's gotten kinda hammered over the last few years. Maybe with this winter's moisture it'll get nice again though.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

2006 Yeti AS-X
    You can go wrong with any of the 3 trail systems in Fruita - they are all awesome! If you want fast and flowy, I would hit 18 Road, you can do runs down Kessel and PBR for your fast and flowy fix. If you want chunk, LL and Kokepelli has many options. For variety of trails in one area, LL takes the cake.

For scenery, Kokepelli is my favorite. Steve's Loop would be my trail of choice for scenery and cliff side views of the Colorado River and there is a small butte you can walk out to around the halfway point of Steves.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.