Best MTB town in UT?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Best MTB town in UT?

What town is the best place in UT for MTB riding and culture?

Isisrider

there is only one answer; IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller

MOAB!!!!!

There are other great trails throughout this state, but when you add trails, shops, culture, and general biking atmosphere, Moab is a cut above the rest. After all this town pretty much caters to the biking people, even if some of them never get far from the trail head.
    Just try walking into a store or eating joint wearing spandex in any other town and you get weird looks, but in Moab it is just standard attire.
    Isisrider

Brass Nipples!

I agree with Moab. St. George may be #2.

It's nicknamed Mecca for a reason, everyone needs to go there at least once.

Medina might be Saint George, though. We've got Gooseberry, Little Creek, the JEM trail, Church Rocks, the Green Valley Loop plus many other rides. There are 3 good bike shops, but Moab has many more. Mountain rides are an hour and a half away at the Virgin River Rim and at the many good trails in Brian Head. Road riding's not bad, either.

St. George scores more points for general shopping, dining (check out the Pasta Factory and Cafe Rio), movies and golf (not that I care about golf, personally).

I've probably just stopped noticing the looks when I eat out post ride in my bike duds.

To paraphrase the Sphinx: "Moab's number 1, we're number 2. All others are number 3... or less."
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 08-06-2004 at 06:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

The Sentinel

I dunno about that...

Apologies in advance to Moab and it's patient denizens. There is no question that there is a lot of riding in Moab, but how many jeep roads can you ride before you begin to long for some singletrack...and some soul? The Californication of Moab has turned me off to the place. I don't want to sound like some old curmudgeon, but I enjoyed riding in Moab back in '87, back when the town had some real soul. I'll take a cheeseburger at the old Westerner cafe over the trendy food served in Moab any day. Culture in Moab?? Not anymore...it's imported, tourist money-driven kitch. For my money, if I'm gonna drive that far, I'm gonna go to Fruita.

That being said, there is no place in Utah with more riding...but St. George and it's surroundings are getting close.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Feb 2004
    Glad to hear St. George is up there on the list. I will be landing there in a month and doing a Bryce to Zion trip with one day to warm up on the local trails before hand. Now I know where to go eat also...thanks.

Jan 2004
    Come one now, Cedar City has got great XC, DH, FR, and at least a couple reputable bike shops. We even have shuttle access trails at Brianhead, with races twice each summer. All around, I'd say this is #2 rather than St. George. St. George doesn't have many, if any, FR/DH trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_2k
    All around, I'd say this is #2 rather than St. George. St. George doesn't have many, if any, FR/DH trails.
    Broken Mesa, Flying Monkey, Barrel Rolls and the Red Bull Rampage course just to name a few. They might not have the vertical drop you've got associated with the Southern Platue but they're still solid FR/DH trails. The great thing about St. George, like Bob mentioned, is the proximity to so many other riding areas including Cedar City (45 min), Brian Head (1.5 hrs), Vegas (2 hrs) including Red Rock and Bootleg Canyon. Moab (4 hrs) is a bit of a drive but not unbearable if you can get in 2-3 days worth or riding, as is SLC (4 hrs) and the Wasatch Front, Park City and Deer Valley. The other thing Cedar doesn't have is year round riding. All in all my selection would have to be George or Moab.

Feb 2004
    I'm stricly XC anyway, heck the only air I get is when I like my arse off the saddle to fart, impresses the heck out of my riding partners...Crash you'd be way ahead and never know I did it so don't worry.

Brass Nipples!

Maybe I should have said the greater Southwestern Utah area.

Cedar City has some great rides. Mentally, I don't really separate it from St. George as they are only about 50 miles apart. Riding is better near Cedar in the Summer and in St. George in the Winter.

Peace
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Broken Mesa, Flying Monkey, Barrel Rolls and the Red Bull Rampage course just to name a few. They might not have the vertical drop you've got associated with the Southern Platue but they're still solid FR/DH trails. The great thing about St. George, like Bob mentioned, is the proximity to so many other riding areas including Cedar City (45 min), Brian Head (1.5 hrs), Vegas (2 hrs) including Red Rock and Bootleg Canyon. Moab (4 hrs) is a bit of a drive but not unbearable if you can get in 2-3 days worth or riding, as is SLC (4 hrs) and the Wasatch Front, Park City and Deer Valley. The other thing Cedar doesn't have is year round riding. All in all my selection would have to be George or Moab.

I don't think that St. George can claim Flying Monkey and The Red Bull course....Virgin is everyone's playground. The other two are in St. George, so I'll give you that. But where in St. George can you find a nice, wooded, singletrack for 7-13 miles? Blowhard, Dark Hollow, Bunker Creek....These are ideal trails. Plus for the serious XC folks, the Marathon Trail, and the Virgin River Rim trail are 2 "must-do" rides for 25+ mile rides in Utah....

Brass Nipples!

Well if we're starting a pissing contest...

Cedar has few trails if we're going to be so strict in our definitions. Duck Creek Village and Brian Head would be the towns to lay claim to the mountain rides.

Plus St. George has TWO Super Wal-Marts! Wait, that may not be a plus.

Can't we all just get along? I think we can both enjoy the great riding in Panguitch, Parowan, Duck Creek, Brian Head, Cedar City, Virgin, Colorado City, Apple Valley, Hurricane, St. George and Santa Clara.

Feel the Color Country brotherhood love!

I Just Ride....

Slc!

Salt Lake!
    Where else in the "Land of Zion" can you get both riding AND culture so close togther than the "City of Salt"!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Feb 2004
    So much to see so little time, sounds like a repeat trip maybe in order...gotta get the first one in the books before that.

Jun 2004
    Park City's not bad, sometimes you get those tourists that have no idea what they're doing but its still got good trails and cool atmosphere.

shaved yeti

polygamy and riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    I think we can both enjoy the great riding in Panguitch, Parowan, Duck Creek, Brian Head, Cedar City, Virgin, Colorado City, Apple Valley, Hurricane, St. George and Santa Clara.

Feel the Color Country brotherhood love!
    I'm feelin' the love!

Put me down for Colorado City for best riding and craziest culture. Anybody know where I can get me some wives?

Mink, you'd need more than a yeti tandem if you wanted to cart you and your lady friends in that town....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    best place in UT for MTB riding and culture?
    definately Knosh, UT!!

Feb 2004
    Now having been in the St. George, Cedar City, and Sprindale area I find that it would not be hard to live in any of these towns/cities for me. I wish I had more time to become familiar with St. George and Cedar City, I did get to spend a day in Springdale. Cedar City looked like it had a historic downtown when driving through it, I don't know if this is the case.

I think further investigation of the facts on my part is in the future, maybe another trip next year.

mtbr member
    SLC baby!!!
    Culture, fun, food, deer valley and all the resorts for DH. And not to mention the best shop in all of UT and the Mt West...Go-ride. But I guess it all depends on what you're after...XC, FR, DH, urban.

Sep 2004
    slcizzle my nizzle no compizzle

Aug 2004

Pc

Park City. Everywhere else is too damn hot. Oh yeah, the trails are ill too.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by potatohead
    Huh? I did not find anything ill about the VRR trail, yee hah, I found it sick.

Jan 2004

no culture, but fantastic riding

Vernal

shaved yeti

it wasn't too hot today....

Quote Originally Posted by potatohead
    Didn't seem too hot today....

Who's that guy?
    Logan?

AHAHAHAHAHA....I crack myself up!

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

Removed at birth
    I gotta give another vote to the greater St. George area. I've ridden Moab several times, and I just moved to St. George. St. George is every bit as good or better than Moab...check the list

Grafton Mesa
    Little Creek Mesa
    Gooseberry Mesa
    Broken Mesa
    Guacamole Trail
    Barrel Roll
    Green Valley
    Church Rocks

not to mention a bunch of locals only trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peace out! War In!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weyvoless
    ...check the list

Grafton Mesa
    Little Creek Mesa
    Gooseberry Mesa
    Broken Mesa
    Guacamole Trail
    Barrel Roll
    Green Valley
    Church Rocks

not to mention a bunch of locals only trails.
    Hey Weyvoless, I'm familiar with all of those but the Guacamole Trail. Care to divulge?

Removed at birth
    The Guacamole trail was shown to me by a few locals. I've only ridden it twice in the past 3 months. It is very similar to Little Creek, in that it is not marked well at all. The Wilson's in La Verkin are the trail designers, and they are the ones who took me on it. Only a handful of people know about it. The trail sits up on one of the mesas just before you get to Rockville, on the left hand side of the road. In fact they have also blazed some new variations on Little Creek that are a blast. We are riding there this Saturday.
    Peace out! War In!

Feb 2004
    I rode in that area when I was out there last month, don't know the true name of the area. They called it the bench.

mtbr member
    They called it the bench.
    You probably rode Rockville Bench, previously known as Slickrock Swamp. Did it clip Zions NP?

Hey Weyvoless, I shot you a PM.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    You probably rode Rockville Bench, previously known as Slickrock Swamp. Did it clip Zions NP?

Hey Weyvoless, I shot you a PM.
    Yes that's it. I went to the border fence then turned by the corral and went to the slickrock.

Removed at birth
    Slickrock Swamp(Rockville Bench) is not the same trail as Guacamole, although they are in the same area.
    Peace out! War In!

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=71236

I'm tired of urban sprawl of Californication. I need unlimited open trails to my
    door steps How is Hurricane as a place to live? Just want to able to ride XC, DH & Freeride all year long.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

That was a fence?

Yes that's it. I went to the border fence then turned by the corral and went to the slickrock.
    I thought that was to keep the horses in! Ha! Fun trail...

PAB

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Logan?
    AHAHAHAHAHA....I crack myself up!
    What is the problem with Logan (sincerely curious)

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdbike
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=71236

I'm tired of urban sprawl of Californication. I need unlimited open trails to my
    door steps How is Hurricane as a place to live? Just want to able to ride XC, DH & Freeride all year long.
    One big factor is whether you can deal with the dominant conservative Mormon culture. No problem for some. It is maddening to others. I'm viewed as a tree-hugging liberal here. In California, I'd likely be considered right of Atilla the Hun.

The scenery is beautiful and the area's riding is great. Hurricane is still "small town" in its mentalilty, and that can be good and bad. St. George is big enough to have decent shopping including 3 good bike shops. You have to go to Las Vegas (about 140 miles from Hurricane, 120 from St. George) to get to a real city. That's about the right distance for me.

May 2005
    Down here in price we are getting a good trail system set up

P.A.S.S.

P.A.S.S. PICS

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB
    What is the problem with Logan (sincerely curious)
    Sorry, I just now noticed your post.

Nothing is really wrong with Logan. We have a bunch of great trails. The canyon is a five minute drive away. We have the best bike shop I have ever been to (Joyride).

It's just that, well, Logan itself is not exactly a hub of excitement and culture. It's not bad, but seriously, Logan shuts down at 9pm. And it's probably an average of 10 degrees colder here than anywhere else in the state.

Dave

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

Nov 2004

cedar!

Personally i dont like hurricane. The whole town is kind of whack. If you want good access to trails and everything move to cedar city. We have a couple good trails in cedar and yet you are only 45 minutes away from st. george, virgin and brian head.

Mar 2004

Read the question

Come on, this shouldn't even be a discussion. Moab is obviously #1. Without Moab I don't think MTB would be where it is today. The obvious #2 is Park City. No where in the state do you get more singletrack and epic rides. If you haven't been there talk to those in know. there is riding from below 6500' up to over 10000' to be had and can traverse from Dear Valley all the way to SLC if you want. Take that and add great bike shops and tons of bars and food and you have the makings of one of the best mountain bike spots in the country.

I refuse to hear anything else on the subject.

mtbr member
    You know maybe I've been in Logan too long. What culture am I missing? Or maybe I don't even realize I'm missing it. I've got a nice little life wrapped around me right now.