Best months to be at Moab and surroundings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best months to be at Moab and surroundings

Hello,

I have the idea rounding on my mind of visiting Moab and its surroundings sometime this year, but I don't know what would be the best time to be there...

I'm from the semi-desert part of Mexico and temperatures here are about 32°F to 95°F for the coldest and hottest days of the year so I wouldn't like to be frozen neither getting roast as I don't have any special clothing (nor I intend to buy it)... If you ask me, a good temp to ride is about 70°F.

What months do you recommend me the most to be there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Correct me if I am wrong locals but I believe September and October are supposed to be prime months.....temperatures on the down and less chance of bad weather/conditions.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Everything is rideable Sept/Oct. You can ride the Whole Enchilada from Burro Pass.

The spring is also excellent riding but the higher altitude stuff (UPS/Hazard) is not normally ready.

Your Best Friend
    +1 on Sept/Oct.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Been down to Moab twice in October, both times were perfect 55-65 degrees and everything was rideable.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm glad I asked... Hottest months in here are from April-June and was thinking getting there a bit before it was too hot, like sometime in March. Probably not a good idea.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Moab can be fun any time of year. I am heading down again tomorrow, but the only riding down there right now (that I know of) is long "white rim" style riding (dirt roads in big landscapes)

March/April is a great time to be down there, but you can't ride anything high up in the LaSals because of snow. LPS and Porcupine Rim usually open up some time during this period. Everything else is good to go.

July/August can work if you watch the weather and hit the unusual cool spell where it only gets up to 90. You have to get up and ride at 6AM to finish by 10 or so, but I have had good summer visits. Riding in the LaSals is rad, and you can head up there if it's hot down low.

Late September/October is like April, but you have the advantage of everything being clear up top. So yeah, it's probably the best time to visit if you HAVE to pick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    JMH--

Aside from the heat what are the other issues with Summer Wx in Moab? Does Moab get Monsoon like afternoon rains like AZ?

I was toying with the idea of heading out there end of July / early August to do either the Whole Enchilada or from lower at Porcupine / Hazard. Looks like highs can be in the low 100's. Is that typical?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by spec306

Aside from the heat what are the other issues with Summer Wx in Moab? Does Moab get Monsoon like afternoon rains like AZ?

I was toying with the idea of heading out there end of July / early August to do either the Whole Enchilada or from lower at Porcupine / Hazard. Looks like highs can be in the low 100's. Is that typical?
    I worked down there as a river guide for 3 years so this is all my experience

I would try to stay away during the summer if your entire purpose is biking. It gets crazy hot down there. The hottest time of the year is typically august with temps staying up in the 100's.

However it would be fun to bike in the morning and then go rafting or swimming during the days. It is nice escaping to the laSal's as well. Some fun hikes and some pretty nice lakes you can fish in. Also some killer climbing hidden up there.

To add to everyone else. Sept/Oct is my favorite time. Even as late as november typically works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I would vote for October–early November, these are the best months of all sorts of outdoor activities in the Moab area including biking and climbing (according to Utah guide). We bike there a few times last fall, great memories. Check PC MTB, these guys have written great tips on timing, camping, and other logistics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeMeHome View Post
    I would vote for October–early November, these are the best months of all sorts of outdoor activities in the Moab area including biking and climbing (according to Utah guide). We bike there a few times last fall, great memories. Check PC MTB, these guys have written great tips on timing, camping, and other logistics.
    Wow, do you realize this post is over 8 years old?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Wow, do you realize this post is over 8 years old?
    yep I answer not only to help the initiator of the thread, but also those who come across this forum these days

Members who have read this thread: 48