mtbr member

Best home base for a Park City area trip beginning of June?

Hey Northern Utah folks!

I was hoping to get some locals help for planning my trip to the Park City vicinity the 1st week of June (June 1-11). I would suspect that, even though it was fairly poor snow year, some of the higher elevation stuff probably won't be good to go by then?

I am flexible on where to stay for the first half of my stay so, I was curious to get some input on what my best bet for a home base to maximize best trail access would be for that time of year.

I will be staying near Spanish Fork for the 2nd half of my stay with some spare time so if anybody has any recommendations for that area, it would be much appreciated as well.

I like all types of riding, but steep/techy and on the advanced end (but not necessarily 20+ foot gaps advanced) is probably my 1st choice. I also like pedaling and shuttling / lifts (just to extend my riding day!).

Thanks in advance for any advice and always happy to return the favor in Santa Cruz / Bay Area to anyone who visits!

mtbr member
    I'd just go on VRBO or AirBnB and get a place right in town in Park City. There's probably a few thousand options for you from simple studio units to mansions. You can pretty much ride to the resorts just as long as you're downtown somewhere. It's pretty compact overall. I personally like the riding at Deer Valley over Park City itself but Park City is definitely fun as well. If you have the time, maybe look into doing the Wasatch Crest ride. Rumor is some people are trying to get some of the area on the route designated as Wilderness which would mean no bikes in the future.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'd just go on VRBO or AirBnB and get a place right in town in Park City. There's probably a few thousand options for you from simple studio units to mansions. You can pretty much ride to the resorts just as long as you're downtown somewhere. It's pretty compact overall. I personally like the riding at Deer Valley over Park City itself but Park City is definitely fun as well. If you have the time, maybe look into doing the Wasatch Crest ride. Rumor is some people are trying to get some of the area on the route designated as Wilderness which would mean no bikes in the future.
    Thanks for the input - that was probably my first thought as well and you can get really good lodging deals in that area - I have ridden trails in both DV and PCMR (and the now closed Canyons ) but I was thinking that a lot of the good stuff at those places wouldn't be open that early in the season (1st week of June) - any thoughts? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Thanks for the input - that was probably my first thought as well and you can get really good lodging deals in that area - I have ridden trails in both DV and PCMR (and the now closed Canyons ) but I was thinking that a lot of the good stuff at those places wouldn't be open that early in the season (1st week of June) - any thoughts? Thanks
    The lifts won't be spinning at either resort during that first week of June, but the trails should be almost completely dry on the resorts themselves. It is scary how fast it is all melting this year. I don't think it will take more than 2 more weeks before I'll be riding to the top of Bald Mtn on access roads. Still might be damp on the trails in the trees.

mtbr member
    If it's open, Johns'-Moosehouse-Gravedigger is right up your alley and Black Forest too, over at DV. It seems people love it or hate it. I love the techy challenge and also ride a 6" bike there. Maybe I'd hate it if I ventured in there on a 100mm bike It can get crowded on some days but Flying Dog is always a blast and dries before everything else. I could ride out there daily if I was a local.

I'm sure Walt will be along shortly to chime in. He rides it all up there so is sure to have some great input.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Don't forget the free buss system....which can make where you stay a non-issue.

Moderator Moderator
    There really is not a bad place to stay - anywhere in the Old Town area, anywhere in the Deer Valley area, and you can find smoking deals around Kimball Junction (5 miles away from Old Town) too. There is so much riding that you'll have something fun right out the door basically anywhere you end up.

If you're into nightlife and restaurants, I'd stay in Old Town somewhere. Hit High West for really interesting/different food that isn't *too* crazy expensive. Just show up early, the place gets crazy busy.

In terms of riding, if you like tech/gnar, your options are a little limited that early in the year. *If* upper DV is dried out, that will be your best bet, but the lifts won't be spinning yet. You can ride laps on NCS and that alternate-NCS that I always forget the name of via Deer Crest and that can be entertaining - also a bit lower elevation and IMO certain to be dry by June. They are supposed to be building a new blue/flow trail on the lower mountain this year but I can't imagine it'll be ready (or probably even started) yet.

Canyons BP is closed but I don't think they plan to plow under the trails (?) so you can go ride laps on that stuff too. It's more airtime/wooden stunt oriented than DV, assuming the stunts/landings all survived the winter. They also have a very steep techgnar DH track that most people hate.

Otherwise, for techy stuff, you have to expore and link stuff together at PCMR and it's kinda slim pickings. I like John's to Sweeney's but that's more low-speed tight tree tech, not very popular these days.

I mean, when you get right down to it, if you like technical riding and want to do a lot of it, it's pretty much Deer Valley, Deer Valley, or Deer Valley. There are isolated techy spots scattered around PC but it's mostly pretty non-technical XC.

Hope that helps!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Great info here thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    +1 for John's /Sweeney's
    - 1 for the High West in PC. The Wanship High West distillery, down the road is cool for lunch. (They don't market it much) Rail trail it and see if you can hold the whiskey in on the ride back up to PC.

mtbr member
    Conditions: Trail Conditions

You can also use the Deer Valley webcams to get an idea of conditions: Deer Valley Snow Report and Ski Conditions - Park City, Utah
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you are riding in PC stay in PC, plenty of choices to choose from Airbnb etc.. Most of the trails around the area should be rideable the 1st week in June, just not some of the higher elevation stuff. If you are into old school tech single track, start at the Guardsman road just above the Montage, Ride T&G, T&G2, Black Forest, Link, to Johns 99, Moosehouse, Grave Digger. Loads of fun. I don't know why people like Flying Dog, I hated it. Most of the Deer Valley area trails should be good to go, just not lift access, you can get to all of the trails with a little creativity and not a ton of uphill pedaling. Sorry can't help you with riding near Spanish Fork, there is just not a lot of options there, a little south of there is Payson Canyon, which is pretty fun, or North of Spanish Fork, Provo Canyon area has quite a bit of good riding. Enjoy. Have Fun.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, I've never heard someone say they "hated" Flying Dog. I mean, it might not be your favorite kind of trail, but damn, it's about as good of a flowy smooth XC trail as you can imagine. Loads of fun turns, nice views, a DH that lasts like 20-30 minutes thanks to never wasting any elevation on the fall line, everything from aspens to sagebrush... "hate", really?

I'm biased, though. It's my lunch ride.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone "hating" Flying Dog unless they had to stop every minute or so for hikers, riders going up, etc or they drank WAY too much the first night at altitude.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to think of a trail that I hate.......thinking....thinking.....

mtbr member
    Super helpful info here - got my accommodations booked - screamin deals to be had this time of year - basically got a way nicer hotel than I normally stay in for well under a Benjamin / night including all taxes and fees - gotta love outside CA prices!

Next step is to figure out which bike to bring - my Santa Cruz / Lake Tahoe bike is a Trek Slash 29er, which is basically a mini DH bike that pedals just fine but is not really fun on meandering XC trails - it needs to be pushed to be fun!

I also have a RM Altitude that is built up more XC-ish and pedals very well and is more nimble and playful but less capable than the Slash- and I have a Yelli Screamy HT as well.

I am thinking with the bike park closed the Altitude is what I will bring unless somebody convinces me otherwise

Also if anybody has some tips on how to use that great bus system to extend my day that would be much appreciated - I donít mind pedaling at all I just like to extend my day if possible. Please feel free to PM if appropriate and please let me know if I should take down that comment about the buses - not sure if that is a touchy subject there.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm gonna change my post a bit... Probably Altitude, but your Slash would be fine too. If you're happy climbing 2,000-4,000 ft per day on your Slash, I don't see a reason not to bring it, especially if you plan to lap DV. With that said, outside of the DV bike park, there isn't a lot of gnar out here. As an area, PC is XC heaven and you should expect to climb quite a bit. The bus system isn't touchy at all. It's free and each bus has a rack that can carry a couple of bikes. I personally don't know anyone that uses the bus, but the thing that seems to make the most sense would be riding it from wherever you're staying in PC up to Silver Lake Lodge in DV. You'll be able to gain about 1500 ft of elevation that way, jump on Mid-mountain and then either head off for laps in DV and/or over to PCMR to explore, then back to your hotel.

Be sure to post again right before you come out to get the latest on what trails are gtg. It's crazy how fast the snow is melting. We've been getting regular rain storms passing through that are accelerating the melt that much more. Another area that's worth mentioning for a half day of riding is High Star Ranch in Kamas. About a 15-20 min drive from PC, and they have some fun DH trails that blend a nice mix of tech and flow. Different from most PC trails. (Not the best choice if the weather is warm though.)

Moderator Moderator
    I think it depends on whether you're more ok being underbiked (Altitude on DV DH trails) or overbiked (Slash on Flying Dog). The Altitude (or the Nimble) will be better on 95% of the trails in PC. But if you seek out steep/tech at DV, you'll have more fun on the Slash.

Assuming you don't hate pedaling uphill on the Slash, I'd just bring that. It'll still be fun on mellow XC, and it'll be much more fun on our limited techgnar.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Spanish Fork: If you want to try something different or more "Utah" you could drive to Bear Canyon campground FR-048 (35-40min) and bike up Nebo Loop rd, believe the winner gate will still be closed. Or up Bear Canyon Trail-132 also called Salt Canyon trail. And then ride down Bear Canyon near Devil's kitchen. The yellow line on the map has a trail, I don't know what the guy is taking about.
    Yelli Screamy it!
    Bear Canyon to Salt Creek Canyon
    I've climbed both trails, kind of sucks but I like that kind of crap, probably best to ride up the road.
    If you can't see the link, click below the blank space under Yelli Screamy
    Last edited by Turd; 05-15-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: See link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Spanish Fork: If you want to try something different or more "Utah" you could drive to Bear Canyon campground FR-048 (35-40min) and bike up Nebo Loop rd, believe the winner gate will still be closed. Or up Bear Canyon Trail-132 also called Salt Canyon trail. And then ride down Bear Canyon near Devil's kitchen. The yellow line on the map has a trail, I don't know what the guy is taking about.
    Yelli Screamy it!
    Bear Canyon to Salt Creek Canyon
    I've climbed both trails, kind of sucks but I like that kind of crap, probably best to ride up the road.
    If you can't see the link, click below the blank space under Yelli Screamy
    Thanks again for all the great info!

It turn out I was mistaken on where I am staying for the 2nd half of my trip. It is not Spanish fork but I am actually staying in Alpine, and looking at Trailforks it looks like there are quite a few intermediate, XC trails in that area and it looks like it hooks up with Corner Canyon?, which I have ridden before and is pretty fun XC - any must do trails in that area?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Also if anybody has some tips on how to use that great bus system to extend my day that would be much appreciated - I donít mind pedaling at all I just like to extend my day if possible. Please feel free to PM if appropriate and please let me know if I should take down that comment about the buses - not sure if that is a touchy subject there.
    Download the "Mystopmobile" app for your phone - it has all the routes and times - busses all have gps on them so you can see exactly where they are. System is Free and super easy to use.

The two bus routes that go up to Upper DV are currently out of service until "Mid-June" according to the city website, call them to find out when they are back online. Park City Transit | Park City, UT

For riding - basically everything below the Mid-Mtn trail is open (dependent on the rain we have been having) by June - MMT & a few select rides above should be open. I think based on all the other feedback you have the picture that PC is an XC town before the lifts/busses start spinning.

Have Fun - The flowers are going off, the town is super quiet & the dirt is awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Alpine sets you up for a ton more riding than Spanish Fork. Not sure how long ago you rode Corner Canyon, but if it's been more than 3 years, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the new trail that has been laid down (Vertigo & Levitate are new as well as additional XC sections to connect everything). The other DH specific trails are Maple Hollow DH, Rush and Jacobs (defacto DH). There's serious quality in Corner Canyon now, and yes you can ride up from Alpine via Hog Hollow. Lambert Park is right there in Alpine, and while much smaller scale is worthy of a day of riding. Another great option is heading up American Fork Canyon. The trails up there have a more old school alpine (ecosystem) feel to them and the scenery is amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone "hating" Flying Dog unless they had to stop every minute or so for hikers, riders going up, etc
    This happened to me last week on a weekday. Everyone was riding it clockwise as well. Every person with a dog was not using a leash and I seemed to keep meeting the dog flying around a corner. I kind of agree with the other guy, trail wasn't quite for me. The downhill just wasn't doing it for me, but again, probably the most crowded trail I have ever ridden.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    This happened to me last week on a weekday. Everyone was riding it clockwise as well. Every person with a dog was not using a leash and I seemed to keep meeting the dog flying around a corner. I kind of agree with the other guy, trail wasn't quite for me. The downhill just wasn't doing it for me, but again, probably the most crowded trail I have ever ridden.
    It needs to be directional. But it's unusual to see that many people on a weekday. I avoid it on weekends, that's for sure.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It needs to be directional. But it's unusual to see that many people on a weekday. I avoid it on weekends, that's for sure.

-Walt
    Yeah I agree that would really help that trail, but I bet they would make it clockwise based on how everyone that day was riding, hiking, and running it that direction, and while I have never ridden it that way, I can see why it is strongly recommended to ride it CCW.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Yeah I agree that would really help that trail, but I bet they would make it clockwise based on how everyone that day was riding, hiking, and running it that direction, and while I have never ridden it that way, I can see why it is strongly recommended to ride it CCW.
    Yes, this has been discussed many times. You just do an odd/even day swap thing.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I'm now convinced that the Flying Dog trail trail use discussion is the Park City trail community's version of Godwin's Law.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    For sure, the fun factor for FD is really dependent on how much or little uphill traffic there is on the descent. I try to only ride it mid-week, but this year I've been surprised by how much mid-week traffic there has been as well. Odd/even directional would be great...not sure there is much political will for Basin Rec to do that though. Thankfully, traffic on the dog typically calms down soon as trails in PC proper dry out. Flying dog is always that much busier in the early season. The bright side is things are just about to get really good in PC... More and more options coming online everyday!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    I'm now convinced that the Flying Dog trail trail use discussion is the Park City trail community's version of Godwin's Law.
    Ha! That's a good one. I love it.

Yes, it comes up every freaking year, with the same arguments. Every year basin rec says they're thinking about it. Every year nothing happens.

At some point Flying Dog just won't be fun anymore, of course, and then maybe there will be the will to do something.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nobody does Flying Dog anymore, it's too crowded!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    I don't even try to go fast on the downhills there any more. Or, at least slow enough to come to a complete stop just prior to the next blind corner because the laws of the universe seem to dictate that's where you are gonna come "beak-to-beak" with an uphill rider....or a runner or hiker. If you hear someone yelling, "corner", that's me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yogi Berra??

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I don't even try to go fast on the downhills there any more. Or, at least slow enough to come to a complete stop just prior to the next blind corner because the laws of the universe seem to dictate that's where you are gonna come "beak-to-beak" with an uphill rider....or a runner or hiker. If you hear someone yelling, "corner", that's me.
    If my wife wants to go fast, she'll send me ahead. I can get enough time on her on the straight/good sight line parts to scout the turns at safe speeds.

But I know what you mean - it's completely out of the question to go "fast" on Flying Dog anymore. It's simply too dangerous for everyone.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Yogi Berra??

mtbr member
    Re: getting around on the bus system--in addition to the myStopMobile app for real-time estimates, Google maps will give you an overall sense of which buses & connections to take based on your start & end points. Google currently works with scheduled times (not real-time), so imo the combo works well.

mtbr member
    Very good!
    He never said most of the things he said! (Another classic Berra quote).

After all, mountain biking is 90% mental....the other half is physical.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone "hating" Flying Dog unless they had to stop every minute or so for hikers, riders going up, etc or they drank WAY too much the first night at altitude.
    Flying Dog is a super ride - a lot of climbing (which is to be expected in the mountain) but you are rewarded amply with great scenery and a good sampling of downhill as well - well worth the ride!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Rode it this past Wednesday. Get there early and itís great. Anything in the afternoon is too busy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What is the traffic after 7 or 7:30 pm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    What is the traffic after 7 or 7:30 pm?
    Light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's also light prior to 9am. There are many other trails/spots where you have to be careful when you are there due to rider density.

mtbr member
    Update: After all of this great info from this thread, booking, planning everything and getting fired-up, I hyper-extended my wrist and it looks like I may not be able to ride on this trip - I'm leaving today and I'll be in the area for a week & a half and still holding out some hope that I'll heal enough to ride a little bit toward the end of my stay, but not counting on it.

So what else is fun to do in the area with an injured wrist?! My 2nd favorite thing is rock climbing and of course that is out of the question! I assume I'll be doing a lot of hiking and looking at the awesome trails wishing I could ride. Thanks again for your help on this - hopefully I'll come back again soon or this info helps somebody else.

mtbr member
    You could drive up into the Uintah's by way of Kamas and the Mirror Lake Hwy. There's a nice, short (2.6 mile) hike up to the top of Bald Mtn at just under 12,000 feet. Very scenic up there. It's a straightforward route. Other hikes in the area are nice as well, like out to Ibantik Lake. Mirror lake is past Bald Mtn and those facilities open on 6 June, but I think the road is open.

If you do go on other long hikes, keep track of where you are. People get lost up there all the time.

mtbr member
    Ugh! Sorry to hear. It's definitey good timing for hiking too, and if it's warm you could spend some time at one of the nearby lakes/reservoirs. There are various events in town too--Park Silly market on Sundays (food/drink & artwork/crafts), movies at the library, shows at the Egyptian, etc.