best flow like trail in St. George/Hurricae area- Mtbr.com
    DGC
    mtbr member

best flow like trail in St. George/Hurricae area

I might be able to swing through St. George are, for 1 maybe 2 rides. I have ridden Gooseberry, and the lower portion of JEM where it is cliff side above the river. What other trails would anyone recommend that how a longish decent and good flow to it?

Thanks.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Longish descent? Flow? I think you are thinking of someplace else, I would not use those words for any of the trails here.

I am sure that someone will have an opinion.

mtbr member
    Icehouse? Havn't ridden it but kind of fits the description, it's on MY list for April. To me the magic of the St.G area trails is the mix of flow,tech,chunk on one trail.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by castnblastut
    Icehouse? Havn't ridden it but kind of fits the description, it's on MY list for April. To me the magic of the St.G area trails is the mix of flow,tech,chunk on one trail.
    Very true, its sad there isn't really a trail out her with a long flowy descent. Most trails are just chunky and short. However, when I think of flow down here upper Jem comes to mind(short but hey) though you don't loose that much altitude. Second would be riding icehouse for the descent. You'll get a fast descent that can be sort of flowy but its more chunky then flowy in my mind. Zen also has some good flow in setions but thats only in sections so yeah. Unless someone wants to spill the beans on that secreat local trail that drops 3000 feet in 8 miles then your screwed.

mtbr member
    Hey Shelby, how long is that Icehouse descent? We did it last thursday and really enjoyed it. I'm guessing 3-4 miles? Or is it more than that. It's pretty flowy... but you'll definitely want some suspension to really enjoy the lower part of Broken Mesa.

We climbed most of the road to the Broken Mesa TH then climbed the switchbacks up to the mesa. I really like that climb and I'd forgotten how much the mesa slants down along the rim before you get to the Icehouse trail. I call it techy flow (Yes, there's primo techy flow on Zen too, but it's considerably more techy than BM/IH). If I'm not mistaken, DGC can handle a little chunk.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

DGC
    mtbr member

Icehouse

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Hey Shelby, how long is that Icehouse descent? We did it last thursday and really enjoyed it. I'm guessing 3-4 miles? Or is it more than that. It's pretty flowy... but you'll definitely want some suspension to really enjoy the lower part of Broken Mesa.

We climbed most of the road to the Broken Mesa TH then climbed the switchbacks up to the mesa. I really like that climb and I'd forgotten how much the mesa slants down along the rim before you get to the Icehouse trail. I call it techy flow (Yes, there's primo techy flow on Zen too, but it's considerably more techy than BM/IH). If I'm not mistaken, DGC can handle a little chunk.
    I was reading about that trail on the Utah mountain biking site. Krob, how far do you figure the ride was the way you did it? I would not be doing any shuttle, I will climb, so where would I want to park?

Some chunk is fine, the Spot should handle that just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best flow like trail in St. George/Hurricae area-img_1503-copy.jpg  

OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not long, steep, steep or technical(still fun nonetheless), but you can definitely find some flow at the end of the bearclaw poppy trail

I'd rather be biking...

Icehouse is just over 7miles I believe and it meets up with broken mesa maybe 4 miles into it. About a mile before the bm junction and the last 3 miles are super sweet chunky float goodness. I love it

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRepresentative
    Not long, steep, steep or technical(still fun nonetheless), but you can definitely find some flow at the end of the bearclaw poppy trail
    Speaking of that 7sh foot wide singletrack. Stucki springs is fast and flowy for a mile too that I really enjoy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    I was reading about that trail on the Utah mountain biking site. Krob, how far do you figure the ride was the way you did it? I would not be doing any shuttle, I will climb, so where would I want to park?

Some chunk is fine, the Spot should handle that just fine.

I suspect that if you start at the water tank and ride up the road (5-6 miles I think) to the Broken Mesa TH then ride Broken Mesa to the bottom of Icehouse (another 5-6 miles maybe) then do an up and back on Icehouse (four each way according to Shelby), then descend Broken Mesa (three more miles) then ride back to the tank along the Middleton Poleline trail (2 miles maybe) you'd have a pretty good ride (25+). That feels about like what we did.

If they hadn't trashed Stucki Springs on the Grit 50 race I also like doing Bear Claw Poppy then return on the micro loop, then Stucki Springs as an out and back, being sure to drop down the roller coaster at fenceline. I think that ride is around 14 miles.

The Zen/Barrels combo is also about 14 miles but slower, techy flow. Good stuff.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Icehouse is just over 7miles I believe and it meets up with broken mesa maybe 4 miles into it. About a mile before the bm junction and the last 3 miles are super sweet chunky float goodness. I love it

Seven miles. I wouldn't have guessed that. We must have been enjoying the flow.

Nice work on those flow-killing berms you guys have built. There was a couple new little booters too that were fun. Are you guys responsible for those?

Speaking of berms... there had been a moto on Icehouse the morning we rode it, which got me thinking. I don't suppose that's legal but with just the right amount of moto traffic they would create some good berms on all the corners (Then we'd have to kick them off before they started to create whoops and braking bumps and widing and straightening the trail of course).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I'd rather be biking...

Nice work on those flow-killing berms you guys have built. There was a couple new little booters too that were fun. Are you guys responsible for those?

DGC
    mtbr member

thanks

Seven miles. I wouldn't have guessed that. We must have been enjoying the flow.

Speaking of berms... there had been a moto on Icehouse the morning we rode it, which got me thinking. I don't suppose that's legal but with just the right amount of moto traffic they would create some good berms on all the corners (Then we'd have to kick them off before they started to create whoops and braking bumps and widing and straightening the trail of course).
    Thanks all you guys for the info. If I end up going through there, i will check out a suggestion or 2 of yours for rides.

Thanks again for the info.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0