Best Family Rides in Moab?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

Best Family Rides in Moab?

I have a 6 year old you likes to ride flat, mellow, single track like the Lower Loop in CB. Is there anything I could ride with him while we are there next weekend?

jna
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The only trail I have ridden that might work for you is Sovereign Trail. We start from the south trail head and go north and do an out and back. Take Willow Springs road off Hwy 191 and go east. There is some serious sand before you get to the sinle track so we usually drive right up to the parking lot at the trail head. Get directions from one of the shops because there are several trail intersections in the area. It has singletrack, slickrock, some short climbs and a few hike a bike sections. You can always turn around if it is too much for the 6 year old. I am sure there are other suitable trails but all the trails we ride will not be good for most kids.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

6 Year Olds?

This is a hard one to answer. Some 6 year olds are awesome riders, some are sketchy.

I wouldn't take the average six year old on all of Sovereign. There is quite a bit of exposure in a few sections. Also, I assume they are riding a 20" or 24" wheel, and the ruts and rocks will cause a lot of problems for small wheels. There is a really nice but small slickrock area up there that would be fun for 30 minutes of play. Other than that, you would have to stay on the ATV sections.

I used to take my kids out to what is known as the Bar-M Loop out across from the Gemini Bridges parking area. Not singletrack, but still a fun ride. Gemini is good, too, if you shuttle.

Klondike Bluffs is good for kids. Show them the dinosaur tracks.

Monitor and Merrimac is good.

Bartlett Wash is good for tooling around on slickrock without the really steep sections like the Slickrock trail itself.

The rider must have good brake control for all of these rides. If they don't know how to use the front brake (or worse, don't have one), I wouldn't take them anywhere other than maybe Hurrah Pass or the Bar-M.

I can't believe how many people take their kids on coaster brake BMX bikes out to Slickrock. They usually don't even make it to the beginning of the practice loop before they crater.

BTW, there are dirt jumps and a BMX track on 500 West now.

mtbr member

second vote for klondike

Dinasaur tracks are cool and everyone should be able to ride parts or most of it...Very fun trail even for seasoned riders...

Bored Carp
    and I will be the third vote for Klondike - this is our favorite Moab-newbie route as it offers plenty of interest and is an out and back - you can always turn around.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Jul 2007
    Dinosaur tracks is good - mostly flat (but sometimes sandy) in then climb and out
    Beginning of Trail of the ancients is perfect but not in town.
    Parts of In back of behind would be great
    A lot of the White Rim would also be great
    I used a trail a bike with my kid at 3-5 and we rode slick rock and anything else I wanted and had a great time.

Aug 2007
    good beta. I definitely am not comfortable with him on anything with any exposure at all. Mountain biking is only fun if it does not involve bleeding and crying (until he is about 15 and then realizes that bleeding and crying is precisely why Mountain Biking is fun) Double track is great, basically anything that is flat. Sounds like Klondike would be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Drive in as far as you can

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sipper
    good beta. I definitely am not comfortable with him on anything with any exposure at all. Mountain biking is only fun if it does not involve bleeding and crying (until he is about 15 and then realizes that bleeding and crying is precisely why Mountain Biking is fun) Double track is great, basically anything that is flat. Sounds like Klondike would be good.
    when going in to do Klondike Bluffs. The closer to the highway you park the more it's just a road ride. The last time I did it I went past where everyone was parked (maybe a mile in?? Not at the highway parking area anyway), skirted a big sandy area and parked on the left. The turnoff to the doubletrack leading to the Baby Steps trail is a few hundred yards past where I parked.
    Last edited by xcguy; 10-08-2007 at 05:25 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member

+1 gemini

Gemini bridges is another one that I would recommend. There is a bit of a climb at the start, but the ride is all on a dirt road. They will also think it is cool if dad lets them ride over the arches!!!!
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    Poison Spider up to where the sand starts (or beyond) should be a decent ride for a 6 year old...

Green Mojo
    Klondike Bluffs is the easy choice. Make sure you drive ALL the way back to the trail head. Dinosuar tracks, slick rock, limited exposure, minimal technical riding - all make the perfect ride for a kid. With all the slick rock around, mom and dad can have fun too.

(Skip Gemini.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There is no flat single track in Moab. Everything single track is technical and I would think that a 6 year old on the Sovereign Trail would be a liability. In the end, Moab is technical as hell and riders should be aware of the level of difficulty that they are up against. Once you ride a lot of Moab trails, then every other trail outside of Moab will seem easy.

Jul 2007
    I was riding slickrock with my son when he was four. We used a trail-a-bike and had a great time. A six year would be a liability on probably any trail in Moab, but well worth it. I would take a six year old on Gemini bridges, lots of the White RIm, maybe porcupine rim (depending on the individual), back of behind (out gatherer) and others as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0