Best 15ft Section Of Spiro?- Mtbr.com
    Fragglepuss The Chaste

Best 15ft Section Of Spiro?

My friend and I are planning on riding Spiro this weekend, but don't want to ride the whole thing.
    What is the best 12-17ft section of that trail for an Expert level Cat2-Pro sandbagger class Beginner?

Mar 2009

spiro is gheyer than aids

best times ive had on spiro is when i can catch an uphill hiker with a couple of off leash and (bi)curious dogs right on one of those switchbacks towards the bottom doing about 20mph and half asleep. always makes for some jovial conversation and is a great excuse to lay down a long skid or flick the bike into a rally slide which if timed right can place the bike perpindicular to the hiker thus blocking the trail completely.

dont forget to water up.

Mar 2009

almost forgot

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hah, I just came down Spiro 2 hours ago for the first time, I have only climbed it before. Almost nailed a tree avoiding a climber. There are definately some blind spots for conflict! I am looking forward to climb it again soon after today's descent. I am a Park City resident starting next weekend (moving from Mammoth after 16 years....I know life sux). Interested in any group rides that might materialize this Fall.

Fartographer
    Love the unicorn.

I don't usually ride down Spiro because it's too fun, there are too many hikers and uphill riders and it's too easy to go to fast for the traffic. I usually ride up it and then go down John's and Sweeney's Switchbacks. Those downhills are more fun and you're a lot less likely to t-bone an old lady and her poodle.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    t-bone an old lady and her poodle.
    That is the hottest thing I've heard all day.

mtbr member
    Spiro crowded? You should try Rob's on any day of the week. I propose to change the name of this trail to WOCWD for "women on cellphone with dogs" trail. You'd think there's a bunch of trophy wives with dogs hanging around park city or something. Strange.

mtbr member
    To paraphrase Yogi Berra, No one rides Spiro anymore, it's too crowded. It's a pleasant, steady uphill grunt. Real pretty, no technicality at all to it, though. If I had to pick a good section, it would be the second half of the Powerline section. It's fairly steep and a bit rocky, and it's high up so it's a workout.

I'd much rather go up Sweeny's and John's and then down Spiro. It's just not a very interesting climb. Or, better yet, do Sweeny's to John's over to Gravedigger, then up towards Tour De Suds or Team Big Bear. You could also jump on The Steps from the top of John's and head up over Keystone to The Shadow Lake Loop and Puke Hill.

I'll probably ride Saturday with my young (56 yr old) friend...If you're interested in Sweeny's/John's PM me.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Yeah....pretty much a joke Thread mocking the small barrage of similar questions popping up on the Utah forum as of late.
    It was my understanding that MTBqueeR.com received the lions share of all that TARP money and used it to install a 'Search' function on the website at a cost of no less than $300million. Apparently it's been over looked.

Since this got all serious, I guess I'll play....
    IMO Spiro is THE most evil trail in the Wasatch. Well, John's 99 is close-only due to the trail snaking through a myriad of trees the width of a #2 pencil. Great for those still riding their 1998 Rockhopper with narrow flat bars, but not for those of us with 30inch DH bars on our trail bike.
    In a very rare instance, myself and mr.welcorn dropped down Spiro late one evening earlier this summer. We knew it was a huge risk and that we may end up having to replace our brake pads afterwards, but we managed a clean shot down the entire thing until the flat twisty section at the very bottom where some jacktard was f#cking around with his two dogs that were playing graba$$.
    Since it's impossible to ever get a steady flow of DH traffic down that trail, there are literally zero braking bumps and the trail is actually as smooth as glass. I don't think that will ever happen again for at least another decade.

mtbr member
    Ah...now I get it.
    There seem to be so many people who (inexplicably) love Spiro (not that there's anything wrong with that), that I missed the irony.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    What's with the wide bars anyway? "I need more leverage" Your headset should not be so tight that it requires any significant leverage to turn the bars. Or, try working out with 3lb barbells for a week or two.

It is quite handy to fit through narrow trees. TG1 and John's are actually fun.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by PC_Vern
    What's with the wide bars anyway? "I need more leverage" Your headset should not be so tight that it requires any significant leverage to turn the bars. Or, try working out with 3lb barbells for a week or two.
    Couple of reasons I choose to use wide riser bars: 1. I am of superior height and don't have the upper body/shoulder width of a sparrow. 2. I like to get oxygen to my lungs when exercising. 3. I'm not a homosexual.

Talentless Hack

Of utmost importance...

is what tire to choose for that 15 ft section. I personally ride a set of Kenda Nevegals until I hit the twisty part of Spiro. I then switch to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (which I carry EVERYWHERE in my Camelback) to take full advantage of the smooth trail offered up by the lower part of Spiro. The ride is so sweet and I'm sooo cool!
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Couple of reasons I choose to use wide riser bars: 1. I am of superior height and don't have the upper body/shoulder width of a sparrow. 2. I like to get oxygen to my lungs when exercising. 3. I'm not a homosexual.
    One of these three reasons is a lie. Anyone care to guess which one?
    Need some hints?
    He really likes horses with phallus on their forehead.
    His handgun of choice is a glock which rhymes with _____.
    When he's not riding he seems to have unlimited time to spend behind his keyboard talking about the above, with other guys.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbak73
    One of these three reasons is a lie. Anyone care to guess which one?
    Need some hints?
    He really likes horses with phallus on their forehead.
    His handgun of choice is a glock which rhymes with _____.
    When he's not riding he seems to have unlimited time to spend behind his keyboard talking about the above, with other guys.
    He really likes horses with phallus on their forehead.-True, unicorns are a man's best friend.

His handgun of choice is a glock which rhymes with _____.-Ooops. You f#cked up. Go back and reread my rant with Traveler5 and take your ritalin this time. I prefer the feel of a Springfield XD 9mm with a 5inch tactical barrel between my legs. Glocks are for cops and fags with mustaches.

Oh well, nice try retard.

Insert lines upon lines of idiotic redneck gun banter here _____________________.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    is what tire to choose for that 15 ft section. I personally ride a set of Kenda Nevegals until I hit the twisty part of Spiro. I then switch to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (which I carry EVERYWHERE in my Camelback) to take full advantage of the smooth trail offered up by the lower part of Spiro. The ride is so sweet and I'm sooo cool!
    Idiot Boy 1, you seem to 'get it.' And for that I give you ice cream. Way to be prepared and have the eye of an eagle to not only choose the best line, but also taking the time to choose the correct tire(s) for the job.

Ummmm...it's just so good.

mtbr member
    People who accuse others of being gay are often covering up their own latent homosexuality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm never going to Whistler again. I can't believe I missed out on the world's most retarded question, and one of the best, most comprehensive answers to said question.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I'm never going to Whistler again. I can't believe I missed out on the world's most retarded question, and one of the best, most comprehensive answers to said question.
    Apparently I had no idea there was rift within the mountain biking community over bar width-but now I'm on board and ready to defend my choice.
    Granted I was a little upset a number of years back when I had to be cool and switch over to the new 31.8 standard-which also meant buying new/bigger bar mounts for my Nite Rider setup, but I got past it pretty quickly. That switch was much easier than the 8 to 9 speed crap and the accompanying 'dual control' junk Shimano pimped through riders like Wade Simmons who never used the crap .

However, having said all that I fell asleep during a ride this past Sunday and clipped my bar on a tree while on the DH. I did manage to save the fall by impaling the head of my garbage on the stem. But then my eyes teared up so much I crashed a few feet beyond the save. Oh well.

Spiro is the new Whistler.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I prefer the feel of a Springfield XD 9mm with a 5inch tactical barrel between my legs.
    Glad to hear you have something between your legs, to bad it's not what god gives most men.

Try again, pickel sniffer!

Members who have read this thread: 0