Besides Moab?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Besides Moab?

mtbr member

Besides Moab?

The GF and I are heading on an Oct roadtrip to Moab to ride with some friends. We've got 4 days free before we get there and will be heading through SLC from Vancouver Island.

I'm thinking of spending 2 days at Gooseberry Mesa and 2 days at Fruita, CO before meeting our friends in Moab. I've never been to either spot.

Any other suggestions for places to ride in that area that might be better choices? We are from coastal BC so techy trails are no problem.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Besides Moab?

The redbull rampage course is in Utah. But seriously fruita/grand junction can easily occupy you for all 4 days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    The redbull rampage course is in Utah. But seriously fruita/grand junction can easily occupy you for all 4 days.
    We could skip Gooseberry and just ride Fruitia. Less driving.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    lots of info here:
    Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

Check this out on the way to Moab:
    Good Water Rim Trail

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Maximize your riding. Ride moab and fruita. Enough to keep you happy. The Good Water trail is in a very remote area. Dont spend your time searching for a trail when they are plentiful in Moab and Fruita. Just my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The absolute busiest month of October will give you the full, no-holds-barred Moab experience. Take it or leave it! These days Fruita isn't much quieter.

Coming from SLC and adding Gooseberry, Thunder Mtn et al, as mentioned already, will significantly increase driving time. If weather allows, better to spend the 4 days in the Wasatch. Smooth singletracks, big climbs, amazing mountain scenery. Couldn't be a better compliment to the rugged dersert riding waiting!

I live in Moab. PM if you need help.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    You can do a quick 1 hour loop of the Bobsled in SLC on the way. It is a pretty fun ride, not a destination trail in itself but if you are in the area, a pretty fun ride. That will help give you a small break in the driving. Moab and Fruita have plenty of riding options that would be a challenge to ride all of them even with 4 days.

Fruita/GJ has three main trail systems by itself that each can easily occupy a day of riding. If you can get a shuttle in GJ, go up an do the Ribbon down to Holy Cross/Holy Bucket, then to Miramonte Rim...that should be a 3 - 5 hour ride in itself depending on how much you stop for pictures and such.

18 Road in Fruita has alot of fast and flowing trails to get your inner speed monkey on.

Kokipelli in Loma (6 miles west of Fruita) has alot of beautiful scenic trails (Horsethief and Steve's are my two favorites).

Moab you have the two famous trails, Slickrock and Porcupine Rim, but don't leave out the other trails as well..even the Moab Brand Trails north of Moab offer lot of fun riding.

You will have fun regardless of what you ride in either location.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    The absolute busiest month of October will give you the full, no-holds-barred Moab experience. Take it or leave it! These days Fruita isn't much quieter.

Coming from SLC and adding Gooseberry, Thunder Mtn et al, as mentioned already, will significantly increase driving time. If weather allows, better to spend the 4 days in the Wasatch. Smooth singletracks, big climbs, amazing mountain scenery. Couldn't be a better compliment to the rugged dersert riding waiting!

I live in Moab. PM if you need help.
    Thanks Jan. I realize Oct is busy. But it makes the most sense for our schedules and [hopefully] will let us still ride the Whole Enchilada.

I'll PM you when we are close to Moab. If you have time for a beer it would be nice to put a face to your posts. I've been to Moab enough over the last 20yrs I don't need any help filling the time we have as most people will be new in our group so we'll be doing a "Greatest Hits Tour".

I am thinking of buying a packraft while I am in the US to save shipping/border hassles. I'd would be good to pick your brains about them as I'm sure you've forgotten more about those rafts than I know.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. It was a good reality check. We'll stick to Fruitia and Moab for more fun and less effort driving. Coming from Canada's far west coast there will be enough driving all ready!

Getting in one new riding area will be nice. As much as I love Moab I feel like I get sucked into its vortex every time I am nearby and don't check anything else out since we rarely have more than a week or so in the area.

I know we are missing out on other amazing riding so broadening our horizons will be good.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not between SLC and Moab, but still a lot less driving that going to Gooseberry etc is heading down to Cortez. Some great rides there and really not much more driving considering the total length of the drive. Will probably be quieter than Fruita or Moab too.

mtbr member
    Goodwater Rim is about 1.5 hrs from Price, which is on the way from SLC to Moab. Follow directions as show here. If you reach Castle Dale, you missed the left turn about a mile before the town line.

IMO it is well worth the excursion. The riding itself is fairly easy, you can really fly on the slightly downhill half, but watch out for those corners, miss one and it could be fatal. Starting at the Wedge Overlook, the elevation drops about 400 feet from one end to the middle then back up 400 feet on the other side. Return loop on the road is about 4 miles. The views are spectacular. We took the Green River Connector rd back to rt 6 and south to Moab.

Here's my GPS tracks.

SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Like Jan mentioned, some great riding in the Wasatch near SLC in October. Wasatch Crest, Mid-mountain trail, Flying Dog are excellent options, and that is the most beautiful time of year (barring a freak early season snow storm!). It could be a great counterpoint to desert riding.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

one sick puppy
    Hey DirtyJack, how long does it take to get to Goodwater from Moab, or Fruita? Those trails look outstanding.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiBear View Post
    Hey DirtyJack, how long does it take to get to Goodwater from Moab, or Fruita? Those trails look outstanding.

it's about 3 hours from Moab according to google maps, more like 2.5 if you drive like me :-)
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

one sick puppy
    Thanks Jack. My 2 brothers and I are hoping to hit Fruita, and Moab in a couple of weeks. I may have to try and convince them to take a 3 (2.5) hour side trip.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Like Jan mentioned, some great riding in the Wasatch near SLC in October. Wasatch Crest, Mid-mountain trail, Flying Dog are excellent options, and that is the most beautiful time of year (barring a freak early season snow storm!). It could be a great counterpoint to desert riding.
    A quick ride through Wasatch Crest wouldn't be a bad idea if you're driving through. There is a shuttle that will take you to the top for $10/person (well-worth it!). There is still some climbing, but not too bad. It will be close to 10k ft, so be prepped for some burning lungs. Then you ride all the way down the canyon back to your car.

bigrackshuttle.com

mtbr member
    Some good suggestions here vik. Park City and the Wasatch Crest would be tops on my list then also Fruita/Grand Junction. I was like you for many years going to Moab and never going that extra 90 miles to Fruita because of the awesome Moab "vortex". It's worth the jaunt.

Check out the Lunch loops in GJ (Eagle's Wing to the Ribbon to Gunny to Free lunch to Holy Cross etc) and the Kokopelli trails in Fruita (Moore Fun, Mack Ridge, Mary's to Horsethief Bench).

Not exactly on the way (but not totally out of the way either) but I'd be happy to show you the trails in Ely and you would be welcome to stay if you choose to come out this way.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Perpetual n00b
    I don't know how you guys can deal with all the crowds in the places that have been recommended (except Goodwater Rim, of course). That's why my favorite place to ride in the state of Utah is in the Dixie National Forest. 10,000 feet elevation, trees everywhere, people few and far between. The temps are much cooler as well.

Virgin River Rim Trail

Navajo Lake Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Cedar City, Utah || SINGLETRACKS.COM

If you are in the area, check out Cedar Breaks National Monument. It's like Bryce Canyon without all the people.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hit Park City, then Strawberry Reservoir and it's Shoreline Trail. If not snowed in take Skyline Drive south to Interstate 70 for one of the most scenic roads on the continent. The view just above the northern end is super as the whole road. If bad weather (11,000') head east to Vernal and the Uinta Mountains riding. Then south to Moab.
    agmtb

NOT Team Sanchez
    Shhhhh! It's our little secret

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I don't know how you guys can deal with all the crowds in the places that have been recommended (except Goodwater Rim, of course). That's why my favorite place to ride in the state of Utah is in the Dixie National Forest. 10,000 feet elevation, trees everywhere, people few and far between. The temps are much cooler as well.

Virgin River Rim Trail

Navajo Lake Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Cedar City, Utah || SINGLETRACKS.COM

If you are in the area, check out Cedar Breaks National Monument. It's like Bryce Canyon without all the people.
    I like bikes.

Perpetual n00b

Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Shhhhh! It's our little secret
    Yea I meant to say avoid the Dixie. Riding totally sucks down there!

NOT Team Sanchez
    I took my family for a hike at Cedar Breaks yesterday and I'm always in awe as you round the corner headed up or down the mountain and take in the view of the Rim and Zion beyond. It's a great time to get up there, the aspens are catching fire and a sight to behold. Good call on this recommendation dgw2jr, good call!
    I like bikes.

Perpetual n00b

Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    I took my family for a hike at Cedar Breaks yesterday and I'm always in awe as you round the corner headed up or down the mountain and take in the view of the Rim and Zion beyond. It's a great time to get up there, the aspens are catching fire and a sight to behold. Good call on this recommendation dgw2jr, good call!
    You ain't kidding! We were supposed to go down there this weekend but we got rained out.