Bennie Creek Cutoff video- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19

    Bennie Creek Cutoff video

    Just quick little ride. And a quick little edit. Lots of fun, just enjoying being on my bike, and not stuck in my office.


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    907
    wow, when did all those changes happen to bennie creek? I guess I haven't been there this year yet, I don't really remember any jumps and such before. (well, there might have been a few natural ones) Looks pretty cool, except for the added traffic it will probably see. i heard they closed blackhawk to moto's this year...wonder if DH shuttle traffic on bennie creek might have the same affect? Hope not, it would ruin a great loop. Wish they would get the fn cows out of there, what a pain in the ass. They ruin the trails every year. Do we really need to subsidize the cows on us forest land? (or sheep, even worse)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19
    slcpunk:

    as soon as you cross the creek, ride for about 100 or so yards, just before you start climbing take a left. that will put you on the cutoff trail.

    As far as the cattle are concerned.................well those are mostly my grandfathers cattle so you are probably talking to the wrong person about problems you have riding a trail on a full suspension bike that has hoof prints

    Lets go ride. pm me with a number. I could show you a couple other sweet rides in Payson canyon if you are interested. Just single tracks, no big hits, or anything built on them...............but most of them aren't smooth. And not all of them are just downhill only.

  4. #4
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdlegend1
    Just quick little ride. And a quick little edit. Lots of fun, just enjoying being on my bike, and not stuck in my office.

    That was super sick.

    Hope you don't mind, but I put my Casio tape player up to my computer speaker (speaker as in singular, one's blown out from playing Quake turned up to 11 for 7 days straight back in 1999) and recorded the second song. I didn't have any power ballads and wanted to ad one to the mix tape I was making for the girl I met at the Maverik buying some soft serve country vanilla frozen yoghurt and a spicey Slim Jim.

    Pretty much what I'm sayin'....


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdlegend1
    slcpunk:

    as soon as you cross the creek, ride for about 100 or so yards, just before you start climbing take a left. that will put you on the cutoff trail.

    As far as the cattle are concerned.................well those are mostly my grandfathers cattle so you are probably talking to the wrong person about problems you have riding a trail on a full suspension bike that has hoof prints

    Lets go ride. pm me with a number. I could show you a couple other sweet rides in Payson canyon if you are interested. Just single tracks, no big hits, or anything built on them...............but most of them aren't smooth. And not all of them are just downhill only.
    oh, that's funny. Sorry about the cows comments. you know how it goes. I mean, I eat beef, so i can't really complain. But I do hate when they trample the trail ... don't they know better?

    I've ridden a fair bit of trail down there. Usually I start at the bottom of bennie creek - where it comes down to that switchback on the road. (where the "grotto" is) Ride up the road a bit, get on Jones Ranch, over towards lizard lake, down shram creek, over on sheepherder?, up a newer trail and work back towards lizard lake to get up to the road and over to BlackHawk. From there, take it all the way across to bennie creek. I don't know all the trail names, i just have the trails illustrated map that is a bit outdated now. I guess I forgot that section of Bennie creek is actually the "cut-off".

    Am I missing anything important? Years and years ago we did something with the calkens hollow trail and cut through the santiquin meadows, but it was pretty rugged and not that well traveled. we ended up coming back on sheepherder.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19
    So you don't like the music I put with the video...........sorry man.
    What would you put with a mountain bike video, just out of curiosity?


    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    That was super sick.

    Hope you don't mind, but I put my Casio tape player up to my computer speaker (speaker as in singular, one's blown out from playing Quake turned up to 11 for 7 days straight back in 1999) and recorded the second song. I didn't have any power ballads and wanted to ad one to the mix tape I was making for the girl I met at the Maverik buying some soft serve country vanilla frozen yoghurt and a spicey Slim Jim.

    Pretty much what I'm sayin'....


  7. #7
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdlegend1
    So you don't like the music I put with the video...........sorry man.
    What would you put with a mountain bike video, just out of curiosity?
    Nope, your video was pretty decent. The power ballad just added to the ambiance. Watched the whole thing.

    A couple of us finally came up with a series of linked trails in the Wasatch that we can shuttle fairly easily and quickly. We had to add one short uphill section as there was just no way around it. But all in all in 3 variations of the happy ending we're getting 12-14 miles of downhill (minus the one transition point) with only 700-900 ft of climbing depending on how you end the thing. I can't recall the Bortis' GPS results, but I believe were getting about 2300 ft of flowy DH. Your video looks a lot like it, but a completely different trail obviously. And no, I'm not refering to Empire. We've dubbed the longest version the Hum Dinger and recently added 14 Miles Of Bliss.

    I think mr. welcorn currently holds the record down 14MOB with his super slack 6 Point mod and fancy new rear tire. I'm too old to see through all the freakin' tall weeds that line the trail. Sure wish the cows and sheep on your trail would venture over and go to town.

    Yes, we're all out of shape now with all this shuttling. Need to pull out the Sweatin' the Oldies VHS tapes and work off my gut.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19
    I have ridden Calkens a couple of years ago also...............but it was too rough and there was always some very un-friendly horseman riding the trail. So after having a few confrontations with them , we just decided to not ride that trail. It just wasn't worth it. There is an epic ride that we would do that starts off on the North end of the Meadows. You end up almost at the Mouth of the Canyon coming out on the pipeline. We would then ride into payson and back to santaquin on the canal road (approx 18 miles from the meadows to my house). It is rough, and sees mostly horses. But not too many people ride that section of the trail. I haven't ridden it yet this year, but last year we had a lot of fun on it. We have yet to ride it without having multiple crashes!

    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    oh, that's funny. Sorry about the cows comments. you know how it goes. I mean, I eat beef, so i can't really complain. But I do hate when they trample the trail ... don't they know better?

    I've ridden a fair bit of trail down there. Usually I start at the bottom of bennie creek - where it comes down to that switchback on the road. (where the "grotto" is) Ride up the road a bit, get on Jones Ranch, over towards lizard lake, down shram creek, over on sheepherder?, up a newer trail and work back towards lizard lake to get up to the road and over to BlackHawk. From there, take it all the way across to bennie creek. I don't know all the trail names, i just have the trails illustrated map that is a bit outdated now. I guess I forgot that section of Bennie creek is actually the "cut-off".

    Am I missing anything important? Years and years ago we did something with the calkens hollow trail and cut through the santiquin meadows, but it was pretty rugged and not that well traveled. we ended up coming back on sheepherder.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdlegend1
    I have ridden Calkens a couple of years ago also...............but it was too rough and there was always some very un-friendly horseman riding the trail. So after having a few confrontations with them , we just decided to not ride that trail. It just wasn't worth it. There is an epic ride that we would do that starts off on the North end of the Meadows. You end up almost at the Mouth of the Canyon coming out on the pipeline. We would then ride into payson and back to santaquin on the canal road (approx 18 miles from the meadows to my house). It is rough, and sees mostly horses. But not too many people ride that section of the trail. I haven't ridden it yet this year, but last year we had a lot of fun on it. We have yet to ride it without having multiple crashes!
    Ah yes, the mysterious pipeline trail that takes you down to the mouth of the canyon. I have heard stories about that trail. I'm guessing it comes off the bottom of the meadows - but the question is do you start down sheepherder, and then break off, or is it a completely different trail out of the meadows?

    Cool to chat with a payson local. Have you even been king of Onion days? (do they still do onion days? )

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19
    Starts at the North end of the Meadow on the Sheepherder trail, then yes it breaks off. take a left at the first and second forks in the trail. You want to stay ABOVE "Red Lake".

    It is a pretty hairy downhill (we have nicknamed this trail sasquatch). It is a beautiful ride though. The section just before the pipeline (about 1 mile) is very fast and flowy. some of the upper sections are just technical and super steep. Lots of dead trees cross this trail. We thought about organizing a cleanup, but didn't want to bring too much attention to the trail. The trail has a few good climbs in it also (which helps keep traffic down), but summer time rides with my 43lb bike and armor are pretty tough, but well worth it. I highly reccomend it. This is one trail that I ride that I always bring 2 tubes, patch kits, etc. it is not one that is just a mellow afternoon ride.

    I highly reccomend this trail.

    My mother has actually been "The Onion" once.......years ago.
    But no......I haven't ever been involved in the parade.

    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Ah yes, the mysterious pipeline trail that takes you down to the mouth of the canyon. I have heard stories about that trail. I'm guessing it comes off the bottom of the meadows - but the question is do you start down sheepherder, and then break off, or is it a completely different trail out of the meadows?

    Cool to chat with a payson local. Have you even been king of Onion days? (do they still do onion days? )

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.