Benchcreek, Woodland trail conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Benchcreek, Woodland trail conditions

Anyone know if this trail is still all mud ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    Anyone know if this trail is still all mud ?
    no takers on this huh. too bad, its a great trail when its not super muddy or overrun by sheep or so dusty from horses....

doesn't even see that much traffic due to the drive from SLC.

post back if you go, i would think maybe in the next coupla weeks it should be getting pretty dry. That creek crossing on the final stretch ( assuming you ride from Benchcreek over to the Little South Fork trailhead ) will probably be pretty exciting ....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    was out in the area 2 days ago - didnt ride, but i would bet it should be ready to ride w/ minimal snow/mud in the next week or two. The stream crossings down low on South fork could be down right sketchy seeing how hard the runoff is pumping on the Provo out there...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Are you referring to the Benchcreek outside of Kamas?

If so, there's a fun ride we do down the road a little ways but it takes a while for the middle upper section to dry out (top of the tree line before you pop out above it into higher and more exposed elevation). Considering that we couldn't get much higher than Mid Mountain over the weekend I would venture to guess that the area needs another week at least. But I'm just e-speculating here.

I do hope it dries out soon to get up there and get a ride in quick before the mosquitos come out to play.

mtbr member
    That was my thought also. I have been sandbagging in the Kamas Valley this week due to excessive snowmelt. Oakley in particular was hit hard. My parents ended up with a raging class IV in their backyard. Cant wait to be able to ride this trail though. its a fun one to blaze down.

mtbr member
    Rode this last week. Dry enough to ride most of the trail. There are still the typical portage muddy spots at the bottom and stream crossings at the top. The trail has many downed trees at the bottom making for loss of flow. Kinda made the ride not as much fun on the way down.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    Rode this last week. Dry enough to ride most of the trail. There are still the typical portage muddy spots at the bottom and stream crossings at the top. The trail has many downed trees at the bottom making for loss of flow. Kinda made the ride not as much fun on the way down.
    Thanks for the update on that one, been wondering how things are shaping up. Anyone want to make any guesses on Shingle Creek, particularly from the lake down? I'm guessing it needs some time still.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I thought shingle creek was made a illegal a couple years back..maybe I'm confusing it with another ride in the Uintahs..IS that the one that goes to all the lakes?
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking
    I thought shingle creek was made a illegal a couple years back..maybe I'm confusing it with another ride in the Uintahs..IS that the one that goes to all the lakes?
    Pretty sure Shingle is still fine, it's one of the first turn offs when you head out of Kamas on the Mirror Lake Hwy. I think most the closures were up higher by Crystal Lake though I think the route out to Long Lake from there is still okay. The closure signs they have at the trailheads are pretty much a joke so I'm not sure anyone really knows. A bunch of random trail names on a list that don't corespond very well with anything on the ranger district maps. That and the fact that actual signage on those trails once you get away from the trailheads is pretty limited makes it pretty tricky to know what's legal and not. I do know the Notch Mtn route is definitely off limits.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks catch 22....Notch mtn rings the bell as to the trail i was thinking about that was closed down
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Granite, trailhead is about an exit or two east of Benchcreek, was completely rideable today. There was one really small snow patch before the lake that will probably be gone as soon as it warms up again (it was in the 50's-60's up there this am). Whoever takes care of that trail, my guess is for the foot traffic/kids who use the buildings/camping area, went to town on the loop with a chainsaw and cleared the entire thing out. It looked fresh as if it was just done within the past couple of days.
    There wasn't much snow left and seeing as how Benchcreek and Granite sort of intersect for a minute at the highest point I would assume all of Benchcreek is also golden.

Members who have read this thread: 0