Beginner trails in or near Park City- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Beginner trails in or near Park City

We'll be in Park City soon for a wedding and will have one full day for some riding. I read that there is plenty of singletrack but my wife is a beginner. She would like to try some MTBing there, so are there many beginner trails around Park City--by beginner, I mean not too steap, not too technical, but harder than a dirt road. If there's not much, she might opt to bring her road bike instead.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    round valley. pick up a map at any of the bike shops. its all sagebrush and scruboak, but there is great network of beginnerish trails. enjoy!

mtbr member
    Lost Prospector is also a good option, and is more scenic than Round Valley, IMHO.

Pick up a map - lots to ride up there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you have a full day..I'd try and get her on the mid mtn trail. Go to a bike shop and they'll let you know the easiest (non technical access points)
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Check out Utahmountainbiking.com It lists most of the trails in utah and the difficulty

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by utsnowgirl
    Lost Prospector is also a good option, and is more scenic than Round Valley, IMHO.

Pick up a map - lots to ride up there.
    While I thought this same thing, descending the switchbacks freaked my beginner wife out to the point of crashing and caused her to be too scared to bike for over a year. You'll be happy to know that she has since asked me to take her biking again and she's out killing it in her first year as a biker.

Round valley Matt's Flat trail is a great way to go. You can get up into the valley and poke around on the trails a bit, most are pretty easy to deal with for beginners. Lost Prospector is great, but if I were to do it again, I would suggest climbing the switchbacks instead of descending them, then finishing when you come to the road.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! It sounds like there are good options.

scars > tattoos
    i have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea where matt's flat is "scary." and i'm a beginner. but then, i don't find most descents scary, i guess. just climbs. ha! however, i had a badly photocopied map one time and couldn't find my way back really easily. i got annoyed out in the 95 degree sun, and just met a friend in town instead since i was on a time limit.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetmafiosa
    i have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea where matt's flat is "scary." and i'm a beginner. but then, i don't find most descents scary, i guess. just climbs. ha! however, i had a badly photocopied map one time and couldn't find my way back really easily. i got annoyed out in the 95 degree sun, and just met a friend in town instead since i was on a time limit.
    Depending on where you access Round Valley there is a climb/descent that could be a bit over a beginner's head. Most people access it over by the Ability Center which is a rather tame entry into that trail system. If you start on the other side of that area, way over by the horse property it can be rather rough and challenging in spots for someone new OR a more fun way to end a ride over there if you're a more advanced rider/can keep your crank arms from falling off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetmafiosa
    He was talking about Lost Prospector, most likely Skid Row down.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton
    He was talking about Lost Prospector, most likely Skid Row down.
    Yep, though SOS is also a poor choice for a beginner.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

scars > tattoos
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Depending on where you access Round Valley there is a climb/descent that could be a bit over a beginner's head. Most people access it over by the Ability Center which is a rather tame entry into that trail system. If you start on the other side of that area, way over by the horse property it can be rather rough and challenging in spots for someone new OR a more fun way to end a ride over there if you're a more advanced rider/can keep your crank arms from falling off.
    touché, touché. point to the jolly green giant.

1/4 semi-pro
    yuor cranks fall off?
    not anti-bobsled

scars > tattoos
    i lost (later found) a crank bolt up on glenwild, yes. my shame, it does not hide. now hand me some aloe vera, because it does sting a little.

Members who have read this thread: 0