Beginner on Porcupine RIm?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Beginner on Porcupine RIm?

Ok everyone, to make a long story short....

I have the oppurtunity to get to ride 1 day (and 1 day only) anywhere from Grand Junction to St George. As I'll have to rent the bikes, I figured Moab is probably my best bet. I would love to shuttle Porcupine Rim, but I'll have my fiance with me, who's just getting into mt biking, and honestly, isn't very good yet. I'm from Nebraska, and unfortunatly, I won't be able to make the trip again for awhile, so what does everyone think? If it's to much for her, then I'll save it for another time. If that's the case, I'll need reccomendations to an easier ride, without a huge amount of climbing (we're both a little out of shape...)

Oh, and I'm leaving this Saturday (10-18).... I know, short notice, but I just found out myself....

mtbr member
    Do Klondike or Sovereign instead (or 18 Road Trails in Fruita).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How badly do you want to marry this girl? If you take her down Porcupine she'll most likely leave you.

There are only a few trails in Moab good for novice riders, and only 2 that are well marked to keep you on trail:
    1. Klondike Bluffs
    2. Bar M with the Rockin A and Circle O

There is a very nice beginner ride at Bartlett Wash, but you need to know your way around there so it would be prudent to hire a guide.

If it were me, I'd go for the Fruita option. Rent a bike in Fruita, and in the AM go out to 18 ride. Park at the main trail head and do 2 rides from there:
    1. Up the main road and down Kessle
    2. Up the main road and down Prime Cut
    Both of these are short, fun rides and the climb up the road is very easy. If you are looking for a little more excitement then you could add Joe's Ridge.

After riding 18 rode in the AM, I'd return to Fruita for lunch and then head over to Loma and the Kokopelli Trails for some afternoon delight. There I would ride Rustler's Loop. It is a very fun 4 mile loop with gentle climbs that goes along a bench above the Colorado River. The cottonwoods are just starting to turn so the views are breathtaking. If you want a little more after Rustler's you could do the loop again or you could head out the Mary's trail as far as you desire and turn around and come back the same way. If you do these rides, you can bypass the main parking area and drive up and over the hill down to the start of Rustler's Loop. That will save you a little climbing at the start and end.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Stay away from Porc if you are taking out a beginner, In fact, I would avoid Moab altogether and head for Fruita. Rustler's Loop is scenic and easy. If she is comfortable with that ride, you might then try Mary's and Horsethief Bench.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks guys. Got basically the same answers in the Passion tread. I appreciate the responses. Another quick question... Is it easy to get around and find parking spots for an 18 wheeler in Fruita (reason for the trip, and why I have to rent bikes...)?

Apr 2008
    It's kind of hard for me to say as I haven't driven an 18 wheeler. Both areas are accessed by gravel roads, but they seem to be pretty well maintained. As for parking and whatnot, I think it might be a little awkward for a semi (depending on how full the lots are), but you can have a look for yourself:

18 road parking: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...04828&t=h&z=18

main kokopelli parking: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...06866&t=h&z=18

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Monstey: Thanks for the maps. Looks like 18 rd won't be much of a problem. Kind of hard to tell on Kokopelli though.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by adhumston
    Thanks guys. Got basically the same answers in the Passion tread. I appreciate the responses. Another quick question... Is it easy to get around and find parking spots for an 18 wheeler in Fruita (reason for the trip, and why I have to rent bikes...)?
    I'm a total dunce as far as getting around in an 18 wheeler goes but being that Fruita is right on the interstate and seems pretty reasonable for getting around. You may have some issue parking it really close to the bike shops on Main St but the town is small enough that you could easily park it at whatever the gas station/truck stop is right on the south side of the interstate is and walk over to town from there in 10 minutes or so. There is also a grocery store a couple blocks from the bike shops that should provide enough room to park. Most the hotels at that exit have big gravel lots to accomodate you as well.

As far as getting the the trailhead goes I'm not sure, both are well maintained gravel roads once you get close to the trailheads and there are pretty big gravel lots in both spots as well. As long as it's not a really busy day I would think there would be a way to get it done.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Feb 2004

Klondike Bluffs

If she is a bit adventerous, in reasonable shape, and has some basic bike handling skills (and a patient riding partner), I would take her to Klondike Bluffs. It is certainkly appropraite for a motivated beginner while provides enough challenges to keep anyone interested.

Fruita offers fast, flowing, stunning singletrack and the other opinions posted are certainly full of wisdom. If you were riding with another experienced rider, go Fruita. But, here is why I say take her to Klondike Bluffs...

The scenery and the destination. I have introduced a number of new riders to riding off-road and have always found that if there is a destination during the earliest rides (and a sense of accomplishment in reaching the "end") it tends to be a more satisfying experience. Great sights help as well since they provide a great "excuse" for a rest period or two without the beginner feeling like they are slowing down the fun. When you reach the end of the Klondike Bluffs trail there is a fence which borders with the national monument lands. You cannot ride in that area. When you reach the end of the trail, use the bike racks (no lock necessary) and take the hike into the park. Hike to the Bluffs and enjoy the secenery. It is world-class. Take a lunch and a reward for the fiance and I bet it will be memorable.

I found GREAT singletrack in Fruita, but I found the scenery far less interesting than Moab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    How badly do you want to marry this girl? If you take her down Porcupine she'll most likely leave you.
    Word. There aren't many times my wife has been as flat out angry with me as when I took her down Porc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I vote for Fruita

the beer alone is insane in Colorado! Those of us from Utah stare at the offerings, they know we're from Utah. The laps at Fruita are perfect, no sand, very well marked, friendly riders, easy to get around a 4 block little town that has everything you need.

Klondike is nice but its also sandy road sometimes, that can put the kibosh on a newbie. I rode it, didn't like the jackass moto heads in their one mile an hour jeeps inches from my bike, dropping oil on the same rocks!

NO jeeps in Fruita, good practice laps on Mary's Loop, solid track, and safe too. Fruita is at 4100 feet so plan accordingly. There are tons of 18 wheelers around.

Members who have read this thread: 0