Bartlett's Wash map with features labeled?- Mtbr.com
    I can't ride 45!

Bartlett's Wash map with features labeled?

I made it out to Bartlett's Wash for the first time this weekend. I was with my son so we explored and tried to identify features like "the thread" and "the toilet bowl". We were never certian what was what. Does anyone have or know of a detailed Bartlett's Wash map with the terrain features labeled?

jason

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As far as I know what you see is what you get. It is up to you to decide what features you are comfortable riding. The obvious ones you did name so I guess you don't need any help with that. I have ridden all over that rock several times and this is what I know:

1. There are some good launchers right near the front where you get on to the rock. Head back towards the camping area, but stay on the rock, and you will see some smooth bowls with nice lips. The take off points are usually marked with small pebbles so you know where to aim your front wheel.

2. Mushroom rock is huge. I have seen it in many adds. Pretty obvious but just in case, it is on the way out just after the sand trap. I have not and never will launch this one.

3. Toilet bowl is on the back side around the corner to your right. There are a couple of smaller features you pass on the way over that are fun to "surf" as well. If you drop into the toilet bowl then ride down past the pools and climb back out onto the left ridge. This route is almost completely ridable.

4. Heading all the way out (north-west I guess) there are two longer deep steep chutes to ride. Make sure and stop before you get to the bottom because they both end in high cliffs with drops to a sandy bottom at least 100 feet below. Falling off here would hurt a lot.

5. All the way out on the end there are several lines that you can ride from top to near the bottom. These would be intermediate level runs for Bartletts but you can still mess yourself up royally so wears protective gear and be careful.

6. There is a very cool very secluded camp spot at the base of #5. It is up to you to figure out how to get in there.

7. There are one or two runs on the opposite face (other side of road) from where you come up on to Bartletts. They are right at the beginning. I have ridden all the way out to the end to try and connect this to Tusher but I could not. Fun trying though.

And that's what I know. Anyone else know any different?

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by XTRKona
    As far as I know what you see is what you get. It is up to you to decide what features you are comfortable riding. The obvious ones you did name so I guess you don't need any help with that. I have ridden all over that rock several times and this is what I know:

Actually though I know a couple names I don't know exactly where the features are. Thanks for the descriptions and info. Where is "the thread"?

I grabbed this image from Terraserver. Anyone want to start labeling? I will compile all labeled maps that folk want to send to jbertolacci at yahoo dot com.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who's that guy?
    Hey jasonb....that's a great idea.

Hard to get my bearings on it though. Where is the 'entry point' with the nasty wall?

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Hey jasonb....that's a great idea.

Hard to get my bearings on it though. Where is the 'entry point' with the nasty wall?
    The entrance and gate would be to the northeast but it is not on this map.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Entrance and gate are way off this map. In fact, I would say that about half of the wash is missing.

Camped there last weekend and things have changed. All of the area at the entrance among the cottonwoods is now fenced off. There is only one entrance to "walk in" camping at the top most camp spot - room enough for 3 or so groups. This is probably a good thing since it will keep most of the motorized group at bay as there is very little room to park big trailers and such. A significant amount of signage and fencing has gone in to try to limit the access points and protect the surrounding area. Again, this seems like a good thing. If they could just add a pit toilet then I think work would be done here.

Anyway, this is still a great place to play and work on your skills. I found one more feature that would be fun to roll. Just after the sandy section that leads out towards mushroom rock there is a small basin on your left. It is possible to roll in off the top into the bowl if one picks the right line. It is daunting and I will admit that I chickened out but next time I promise I will roll this one. It is probably a 10-12 foot roll in with a nice G-out at the bottom. Have fun.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XTRKona
    I found one more feature that would be fun to roll. Just after the sandy section that leads out towards mushroom rock there is a small basin on your left. It is possible to roll in off the top into the bowl if one picks the right line. It is daunting and I will admit that I chickened out but next time I promise I will roll this one. It is probably a 10-12 foot roll in with a nice G-out at the bottom. Have fun.
    The roll-in you are talking about is good fun, only it's not quite a roll in (though you would think so). You just start on top of the gigantic formation in your description, roll down the slope slowly, and let off the brakes about 2' from the lip. You fall for about 7 or 8' before hitting the tranny, but it's super smooth (provided that you don't carry much speed off of it and overshoot it). There is also an 8-10' on the eastern (?) tip of the same formation - about 30' from the one you described.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So what about Tushers left side? About 7 years ago I was told about this wonderful bowl out at Tusher. I have been out there twice looking for it and never found it. I did find a big long half pipe run at the very end that drops down and to the right and continues for a good long while. But none of the bowls I found actually seemed ridable cuz the large ones both had big piles of rock in the bottom and the rest just had really odd shapes. Any beta on Tusher? What about Tushers right side?

mtbr member

Map of Hidden Canyon to Bartlett Wash

No wirte up yet, but here is a topo map of the ride. Bartlett is the southern half

http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/other/bartlett.html

Enjoy

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by gjmtb
    No wirte up yet, but here is a topo map of the ride. Bartlett is the southern half

http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/other/bartlett.html

Enjoy
    Any pointers on what feature is where?

mtbr member
    I like the idea of using the satellite images, so I pieced this one together using google.

I can't ride 45!
    Sweet! Let's get some labels on that bad boy.

Members who have read this thread: 2