ATTN: CA Coastal Peeps!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

ATTN: CA Coastal Peeps!

I'm bringing some friends from the Left Coast out to Moab in the fall. I'm a seasoned desert rider, so I might be blind to some info they might want to know.

Any advice you wish you'd had before you rode the Utah desert? Any advice you got that was good? Bad? Anything I should prep my pals for before they make the trip?

Thanks so much!
    Trail Miss

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMiss View Post
    I'm bringing some friends from the Left Coast out to Moab in the fall. I'm a seasoned desert rider, so I might be blind to some info they might want to know.

Any advice you wish you'd had before you rode the Utah desert? Any advice you got that was good? Bad? Anything I should prep my pals for before they make the trip?

Thanks so much!
    Trail Miss
    The one liquor store only sells warm beer and closes at 7 PM.

Depending on exactly when you are going to Moab, you should get hotel reservations ASAP if you are staying in a hotel, they only get more expensive the closer you get to October. If you are camping, don't plan on getting a primo spot close to town unless you happen to get lucky. It is better to arrive on Sunday->Thursday if you are camping.

Sunscreen and water.

Depending on exactly when in the fall you get to Moab, the upper trails (TWE and Hazard) may already be snowed in. Once you get into November, Porcupine could also be snowed in.

There is no way to predict the weather, so be prepared for anything from snow to 100F temps. High winds are also a definite possibility.

If you are coming from sea level, you may feel the altitude a little. Trails range from 4000-11,000 feet. Most are 5000-6000 ASL.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thank you for the reply! I've actually been to Moab many times, so I know the drill as far as lodging/logistics. But altitude -- that's a good one to keep in mind.

Hell Track
    City market sells cold beer well into the night. I was actually surprised, based on all the things i've heard about Utah and Alcohol

mtbr member
    If they are heavy coffee drinkers in the morning, switch to 50% decaf! It makes a huge difference in the degree to which you can get and stay hydrated. It has made a big difference in my riding there (and at home in Northern Utah).

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Take lots of water and then take more, even if there's snow.

Aclimate, altitude sickness can happen when transitioning from sea level.

Whatever tire pressure you run in California, forget it. Skinny tires should be left behind and don't run more that 20 lbs unless your over 175 lbs. changing out tires is perhaps the biggest thing you can do to improve you experience out here.

Run tubeless. Tubes don't play well with cactus spines and a variety of sharp objects you will find on every ride.

Carry a map and supplies to get you back, unlike California there is not cell reception everywhere. Medical aid is a minimum of an hour away if you're lucky. Ride smart/ ride safe.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Whatever tire pressure you run in California, forget it. Skinny tires should be left behind and don't run more that 20 lbs unless your over 175 lbs. changing out tires is perhaps the biggest thing you can do to improve you experience out here.
    Thank you! :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The carryout beer at City Market or any other non-liquor store or non-brewery in Utah is 3.2 beer. It is the same in Colorado.

Yes, they sell 3.2% IPA, which is...wrong.

Here is a hot insider tip. Whoop whoop. The Moab Brewery, because they actually brew beer onsite, is allowed to sell cold beer greater than 3.2% for carry out, even on Sunday or after the liquor store is closed. Some of their beer is pretty good, but it is pretty expensive. I think a 4-pack of 16oz cans will set you back $10.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMiss View Post
    Thank you! :-)
    That advice is a bit nuts, IMO unless you:

1) Ride very slowly and carefully
    2) Don't mind dented (alu) or cracked (crabon) rims
    3) Are WAY under 175#
    4) Are riding HUGE tires with super-beefy sidewalls

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    That advice is a bit nuts, IMO unless you:

1) Ride very slowly and carefully
    2) Don't mind dented (alu) or cracked (crabon) rims
    3) Are WAY under 175#
    4) Are riding HUGE tires with super-beefy sidewalls
    It has worked for me for years, no flats, no rim damage, foldable tires with high tpi. Now I ride with under 10 lbs in fat tires. There's a reason all 4WD drivers let air out of their tires.........

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    It has worked for me for years, no flats, no rim damage, foldable tires with high tpi. Now I ride with under 10 lbs in fat tires. There's a reason all 4WD drivers let air out of their tires.........
    Yah - the high tpi is the important part. I'll count that as #4 on my list.

Do NOT try running these low pressures, however, with "regular" tubeless-ready mt bike tires. I've even had trouble with the EXO "protection" on Maxxis. I finallly gave in and went with 1000g Michelins with 120tpi casings. So far... so good. I *did* have to learn the hard way, though.

Oh - and for the record, I'm mostly a skilless hack. So if you are a skillful rider you might be able to get away with low pressures in "regular" tires.

And my diatribe is pretty much aimed at rear tires. Seems like you can get away with almost anything on the front...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Area can eat the knobs of nice new tiers. Perhaps slap on a downgrade part bin tire to save knob if you wish.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd