In and Around UT: May 7-14- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

In and Around UT: May 7-14

Help me plan my trip. Right now, 2 days in Moab and 1 day in Fruita for sure. Other possible options are Thunder Mt. in St. George. In Moab, planning to do the Whole Enchilada one day, and Amasa Back and Slickrock the second day. Not sure about Fruita trails yet. Any other recommendations and can't miss spots?

As far as Moab goes, do I need to go ahead and get a reservation at a campground? I'm thinking it might be crowded this time of year. I stayed at Up the Creek last time. It was fine but I'm wondering how early I might need to make reservations? Any insight appreciated.
    Thanks, Chuck
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    The La Sals (Burro Pass where TWE starts) have been slammed with snow this year. I'd be very surprised if TWE would be rideable from the top in mid-May. You might be able to do Hazard Down if things let up in the next couple of months. Most likely UPS down would be doable.

I would add Gold Bar Rim singetrack to Portal to your Moab ride list.

In Fruita don't forget about Grand Junction trails. The Lunch Loops area has some terrific riding. One day there. One day at 18 rd (Book Cliffs) and one day at the Loma Exit (Kokopelli) in/near Fruita is also recommended.

Then ride Thunder Mountain on your way across the state to Hurricane. It's about an hour or hour and a half from "Hurkin". When you get to Springville/Hurricane you'll want to ride Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mesa and the stuff in St. George at Green Valley including Zen, Barrels, Stucki Springs and Bearclaw Poppy.

If you're not from the west and won't get back soon, a stop in Bryce Canyon and/or Zion Canyon Nat'l Parks is highly recommended for some hiking/sight-seeing.

www.utahmountainbiking.com is a great source for trail maps and descriptions.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot about Gold bar to Portal. Also read a little about Blue Dot so those are definitely back ups to TWE. I'd love to ride it if possible but it may not be. Is Gold Bar to Portal a full day's ride? What can you tell me about Blue Dot? It's looking like we'll spend 2-3 days in Fruita/GJ, 2-3 in Moab, and may only get one in Hurricane/St. George. I'm really interested in some trails there that could be done say one in the morning and one in the afternoon thus combining the max rides in minimum time.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Picture Unrelated
    +1 on Lunch Loops in GJ, really fun stuff. Gold bar to Portal is probably a full day, though I've only ridden it up from Poison Spider (awful idea). Do a search for the Portal trail, and make sure you're ok with some pretty serious exposure. It's no joke that the entry is accompanied by a sign that informs you that 3 riders have died there.

Anyway, I love Amasa to Jacksons in Moab and you'll have fun in Fruita pretty much wherever you go. The shops sell some great maps that will help you out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    I've heard a lot about Gold bar to Portal. Also read a little about Blue Dot so those are definitely back ups to TWE.
    Gold Bar Single Track = Blue Dot
    Same trail/route.

Is Gold Bar to Portal a full day's ride?
    Depends. It's a tough ride. The last two times I did it, I rode Sovereign after the first time, and did Amasa/Rock Stacker before it the last time. Big day, no doubt, but doable.

I'm really interested in some trails there that could be done say one in the morning and one in the afternoon thus combining the max rides in minimum time.
    If you've got the legs, that's the way to maximize your ride trip. We did Moore Fun to Mary's at Kokopelli in Fruita in the AM then caught a 1:30 shuttle in Moab for Porc Rim one day. Another trip I did Little Creek Mesa in the AM and Thunder Mountain in the PM.

If you're focused and fanatic you can string together lots of two-a-days.

Some popular combos for two-a-days:
    Amasa Back/Slick Rock trail
    Sovereign/ Bar M/Circle O
    Gooseberry/Slick Rock Swamp (Hurricane)
    Zen/Barrels in the AM then Bear Claw Poppy-Stucki Springs in the PM (St. George)
    You can string a bunch of stuff together at the Lunch Loops for a full day, 30+ mile ride in Grand Junction
    Same with both of the main trail areas in Fruita (18 Rd and Kokopelli)

More Chasmism
    You and your two-a-days, KRob.

Baby Monday (induction) in GJ.

hfly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    You and your two-a-days, KRob.

Baby Monday (induction) in GJ.

hfly
    Today's the big day!?! Cool. Hoping to get an e-mail with a proper announement later.

Thoughts and prayers for a successful delivery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Blue Dot is a closed trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully we can get in a few two a days. I did Slickrock AM and Amasa Back PM last time I was there. It was tough but I made it. As far as shuttles go, who do you recommend in Moab for Gold Bar to Portal and as much of TWE as is doable when we are there? Also, do the shuttles fill up as in should I book them in advance? I'd rather wait until we get there and book the day of or night before since our plans may change when we are out there.

Also, any can't miss trails in Fruita/GJ that require shuttling?

mtbr member
    Also, any can't miss trails in Fruita/GJ that require shuttling?
    I wouldn't say there are any trails that REQUIRE shuttling (Icarus?.... but that one may or may not be "open" anymore depending on who you talk to). You could shuttle portions of the kokopelli trails (you could start in Loma at Mary's and end up in Rabbit Valley for example), but most people ride them as loops.

The Ribbon Trail at Lunch Loops is a popular shuttle.

If you want to shuttle, I would do Ribbon/Prenup/Holy Cross

-or-

If you want some jumps/drops/freeride add in Free Lunch
    Ribbon-->Lunch Line--->Free Lunch--> (back up to prenup or down the Widowmaker Hill) --->Holy Cross

I have a hard time not recommending Holy Cross if you're only gonna ride lunch loops one day! But Holy Cross could be dropped for Pucker Up if you want some extra jumps.

Members who have read this thread: 0