April Trip to Hurricane Questions,,Again- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

April Trip to Hurricane Questions,,Again

A couple of guys and myself will be in the Hurricane area the second week of April for the first time, riding the Goose, JEM and also want to ride Thunder Mountain and Casto Canyon, any other "must do" cross coutry trails??

What is the best way to drive from Hurricane to Red Canyon? I-15 or the back roads??

Also is there a sign or marker to get off the road on the way to Gooseberry Mesa?? Does any one know a good way to make sure not miss the turn from Hurricane??

Thanks in advance and I will probably have some more questions later

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I would double check on thunder mtn, and anything else high up as theres a pretty good chance it will still be under snow, that was the situation last spring when we were there at that time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr
    Also is there a sign or marker to get off the road on the way to Gooseberry Mesa?? Does any one know a good way to make sure not miss the turn from Hurricane??

No sign but if you follow the mileage estimates from Hurricane given on www.utahmountainbiking.com you'll see a poleline/fence line road coming in from the left that merges into the highway at a pretty sharp angle. That's the road.

Have fun.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The quickest way to Red Canyon is through Zion, heading through the tunnel out the East entrance of the park. Then you head North at Mt.Caramel Junction. Total drive time to Red Canyon from Hurricane is probably 1-1.5 hrs and it is a stunningly beautiful route that I never grow tired of.

But I agree that in April the upper Thunder Mountain trailhead will be under snow. March is the heaviest snow month up there.

To Gooseberry... the dirt road isn't marked, but you can see it coming down on the left from the mesa and drawing closer and closer to the highway as you head South East towards Arizona. The dirt road itself is a 150 left turn back to the North, pretty hard to miss.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr
    What is the best way to drive from Hurricane to Red Canyon? I-15 or the back roads??

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    No sign but if you follow the mileage estimates from Hurricane given on www.utahmountainbiking.com you'll see a poleline/fence line road coming in from the left that merges into the highway at a pretty sharp angle. That's the road.

Have fun.
    Actually, theres a small sign on the right hand side of the road just before you make the left onto the dirt road. Easy to miss so go with the mileage from Hurr. as well just to be safe
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Feb 2007
    I live in St George and work in Panguitch (7 miles from Thunder Mountain). From Hurricane and St George the fastest route to Thunder Mountain is I-15 to Hwy 20 and north on Hwy 89 to Panguitch. Through Zions and through Cedar Canyon are shorter, more scenic, but slower.

We usually can't ride Thunder Mountain until the middle of May and the Brian Head rides until the first of July. The rides here in St George should be spectacular in April and there are certainly plenty of rides to keep you busy for a week. Have a great time and look for an old, fat guy on a Kona Dawg Supreme.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by mbb-utah
    Through Zions and through Cedar Canyon are shorter, more scenic, but slower.
    Nothing personal mbb-utah, but Zions is the bank, Zion is the National Park.

mtbr member
    I will have to keep an eye on the weather before we go the second week of April,, Thunder Mtn. is on top of my list but if is going to be miserable ther is no point. Are Casto and Losee (sp?) Canyons also out that time of the year or Thunder sits at a higher altitud?? The plan is to ride them all in one day weather permiting.

Members who have read this thread: 0