mtbr member

Anyone still single speeding in SLC?

I have been on an SS for the last 9 years, and noticed in the last year a serious drop off in fellow SS riders...Did everyone follow the mass exodus of the major bike brands??

Your Best Friend
    Your post made me think. I mentally checked off everyone who I know SS and I can't think of one who still does it. I'm pretty sure they still own the bikes but it's not what they do exclusively. Not to offend but SS'ing seemed like a "look at me" club. This is reinforced by your post.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Your post made me think. I mentally checked off everyone who I know SS and I can't think of one who still does it. I'm pretty sure they still own the bikes but it's not what they do exclusively. Not to offend but SS'ing seemed like a "look at me" club. This is reinforced by your post.
    What in my post suggested that? I just notice bikes period... I prefer to ride SS, but I ride gears too... it's an observation only....don't judge

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm new to SS, and love it. But only 29 plus...lol
    Enduro is the new fad, like free-ride, and dual slalom, and 4 cross, and DH, etc, etc. In time this will pass.

mtbr member
    Still SSing most of the time. Even mostly riding fixed gear on dirt. I should win the "Hey look at me!" medal for that

There always seemed to be a lot less SS in Utah than where I came from- Arizona and Colorado.

Let's start a crew.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ride one gear at a time. Does that count?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Big group everytime we go out.

mtbr member
    I saw quite a few out on the trails this year. However, there could be a location bias happening. I saw plenty other singlespeeders in the Glenwild / Flying Dog area this year, probably because it's a pretty great place to do it, but don't think that I saw any others my couple times in Corner Canyon or the Shoreline behind the U of U.
    Let's face it: the cycling industry serves up fads in an attempt to get us to buy the next new bike. Most of those fads (new bike styles) are tried on by a lot of people, but it doesn't "stick" for most.
    Example #1: Singlespeeding looks fun. I'll try it. ( 3months later)-> Damn, this is always hard. My knees hurt. etc, etc. Bike is now racked in the back of the garage or sold or geared up.
    Example #2: That fat-biking thing looks fun (2 months later) Damn, it's always cold. I can never feel my fingers. Bike is ignored or sold.

Cynicism aside, we're all looking for a new fun way to expand our fun and experience doing what we enjoy - riding bikes. So we try on new styles and then want to associate with that "tribe" of fellow sub-sub-culture enthusiasts. And if we love it, then we want to share our euphoria with others (or misery, in the case of singlespeeding).