Anyone go to SX last night?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone go to SX last night?

The weather was atrocious, but the racing was solid. As the night went on the crowd thinned quite a lot, but there were still enough to get some big cheers going when long-time favorite Kevin Windham got his 2nd win this season. When everyone else was riding conservative in the very wet , cold, and muddy conditions good ole (32 yrs old to be exact) K-Dub made it look easy.

I have to say I was really surprised to see people entering the stadium without a jacket. I even saw a few in shorts and a t-shirt. The night time temp was about 40F and everyone knew it was mostly likely going to rain all evening. My wife and I were in full ski gear (accept goggles), stayed dry, kept warm and really enjoyed the evening.

On a side note if any of you are local MMA fight fans, we met Johnny Richie (Little Ball of Hate) in the stands. He was a real nice guy and offered to get us tickets to his next show.

If you are like me and sitting home bummed that you won’t be riding today, due to the weather, then check out Speed at 10am and 4pm to see the SX racing action from last night.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah it was good times! James and I ended up under the awning in the west bleachers. I cant believe Windham lapped all but the podium, haha.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Yep; 'girlfriend and I went. Cold as hell, but we had a good time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Was there and wife says I owe her big for watching a race in that weather!

mtbr member
    The wife wouldn't go in that weather so I had to bring the girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, good times! The weather was nuts; but, it made for some great riding. My wife was a trooper and held strong to the end.

As soon as it started to rain hard, I thought of Windham winning Daytona in the mud a few years back and was hoping he'd do likewise here. He framed his jersey unwashed and muddy to remember the Daytona experience. Maybe he'll frame a muddy SLC winning jersey and put it up next to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize
    The wife wouldn't go in that weather so I had to bring the girlfriend.
    So you brought your bike!
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    We were there with a group of friends. Puffy coats with rain ponchos kept my wife and I dry and comfortable. Saw a lot of people who had no rain gear and looked very cold.

We had a great time, and now I have the bug to buy a dirt bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep that was my first SX in person, super cool. Made me want a dirt bike against my better judgment The rain was gnarly.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Yep that was my first SX in person, super cool. Made me want a dirt bike against my better judgment The rain was gnarly.
    Definitely nothing wrong with your judgement for thinking that. I've ridden and raced motorcycles since I was about 4, so I'm pretty biased, but I have a lot more fun on my motorcycle than the mtb. The places you can get to....or riding a narrow goat trail to a peak at 12,000 feet....nothing can match that (to me).

Good to see some favorable talk about the event last weekend.

mtbr member
    I've been riding MX (offroad, not much track) for 7 years. I really enjoy it and have seen some amazing trails that you just can't reach or even ride on an MTB. However, if I had to choose it would be MTBing. For me you just can't beat the one-with-the-trail feeling you get from human power.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I've ridden a dirt bike back in college through the orchards in Bakersfield, CA. Definitely one of the funnest things ever. But I gave it right back to the owner because I knew I'd kill myself on one of those things!

mtbr member
    Mt. bikes and Motos are two different sports entirely for me. Even though there are definite cross overs, I don't compare them as one being better than the other... just different sports.

Like Scott, I mostly ride trails as apposed to track. The great thing about a moto is the ability to grab a handful of throttle and rally up-hill. You can ride single track up-hill the same way you would going down on a dh bike.

Back to the SX event. So much fun to be there in person and see those guys getting after it in crazy conditions. This weekend will also be fun to watch. I wish I was going to Vegas. Stoked to see the east and west coast lights riders come together. Let's see how Pourcel, Barcia and Stroup match up with Weimer, Canard and the west coast crew. I'm guessing Pourcel will dominate; but, I'm hoping for a victory from either Barcia (East) or Canard (West)

Members who have read this thread: 0