Anyone ever camped at Spirit Lake?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ever camped at Spirit Lake?

We've got a family reunion up there this July and while it looks beautiful and remote I don't find much in the way of mountain biking trail near there either on utahmountainbiking.com or skidmap.

It's in the Ashley National Forest west of Vernal, somewhat close to Manila or Dutch John.

Just wondering if it's going to be worth taking the bikes. We won't have time to drive down to the Vernal Trails while there.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Spent 3 nights there last summer. Didn't bring the bikes, didn't regret it either. Not much in the way of riding. Good hiking and good (cool) temperature in the summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would take a bike as long as you are prepared for a bit of adventure. The national geographic map for flaming gorge has lots of trails marked in that part of the uintas. They are generally double track and very rocky, but can be a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing and don't mind the occasional bit of pushing. The trails round red canyon lodge by flaming gorge are more popular for bikes. Don't expect purpose built single track though. I haven't ridden by spirit lake, but I have ridden a loop near Browne lake and ute mountain a few miles to the east and a loop near cheepta a bit to the south so I am assuming the trails round spirit lake are similar.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, guys. I've got a 15 year old to keep busy (ie: out of Mrs. KRob's hair) for three days so I think I'll take the bikes based on your input. How far is the drive back down to the closest Vernal trails (Flume, Red Canyon etc)?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Re: Anyone ever camped at Spirit Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. I've got a 15 year old to keep busy (ie: out of Mrs. KRob's hair) for three days so I think I'll take the bikes based on your input. How far is the drive back down to the closest Vernal trails (Flume, Red Canyon etc)?
    I believe the closest trail system would be the red fleet trails, just north of vernal. From what I remember, spirit lake from vernal is about 2 hours up 191 then west right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2hr to red fleet sounds about right. It is a nice drive with some good view points. The reservoir is nice for swimming and boating too. The trail system is very good (all purpose built single track). Will be hot in the summer.

Red Fleet Trail Complex

If you want a guide let me know, I might be able to come out.

Red Canyon from spirit lake is about 1hr 30 mins. The Red Canyon trails are less developed. My friends have said they are worth a trip by I haven't tried them yet. I have attached a link to the relevant link on Utah mountain biking
    Red Canyon Rim Trail

It will take 2hr 30 mins to 3hrs to get to the flume as you will have to go past red fleet, through Vernal and north again. It is a nice trail and is under the trees. There is information on it on the utah mountain biking site. A short section of the upper flume is currently closed until a reroute is put in place.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yeah, it looks like Vernal is about 2 hours away according to googlemaps so the Red Fleet trails at least an hour and half. They look fun though. Hmm. Probably just explore around the Ashley NF near Spirit Lake?

Red Canyon Rim is quite a bit closer (34 miles instead of 63 miles) but google maps still predicts an hour and a half to get there. Must be a lot of slow, windy, forest roads.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Just to follow up for completeness in case someone searches this in the future.
    We had a great time at spirit lake. The cabins were nice (we stayed in the bigger ones with a loft). The lake was beautiful for canoes and rafts. The trails near the lake were quite rocky but it was a fun challenge to see how much you could ride. My favorite was a four mile ride over to Dagget Lake. Techy but all rideable except the very last bit up to the lake.

We did drive down to Red Canyon rim one day but didn't take the the bikes. Great views of Flaming Gorge and nice visitor center.

The favorite ride fog most of my non tech riding family was down Spitit Zlake Riad. It was about six miles with almost no pedaling.

If you go, I think it's worth it to take your bikes. Especially if you don't mind exploring around a bit or hauling the bikes a ways for more bike specific trails.

www.stuckinthespokes.com