Anyone doing the Park City Point2Point? Singlespeed Category? Gearing question...- Mtbr.com
    The Tyranical Teabagger

Anyone doing the Park City Point2Point? Singlespeed Category? Gearing question...

Dudes...figure I'd post this in the Utah group. I'm doing the P2P again this year, DNF-ed at mile 52 last year because I was wrecked. I did it on an SS last year and because pride has gotten in the way I'm going to do it on the SS again this year. Last year I did it on a 20t cog and I feel that I could have finished it on that gear if my hamstrings didn't get all jacked up. However, I'm curious what the fast dudes are using for gearing? I live in Georgia and normally run an 18t. I'm considering a 21 or 22 for the race but I feel like that's some weak sauce. I also want to finish this damn thing.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    You figured out the part where PC sits at 7000 feet and you live.....not at 7000 feet. Relative humidity is a bit different also, if I recall from my years in GA.

Are you buddies in GA going to give you more crap from pushing only a 21t or from not finishing? Or you can always change your chainring to still brag that you did it with a 20t.

And yes, I'm giving you more crap than absolutely necessary, meant in good nature...but hey...you asked for it.

In 5 years you'll remember that you finished it and (hopefully) won't care (nor will anybody else) what gear you did it in.

mtbr member
    I ride singlespeed rigid 29 here in northern Utah. My ratio is 28:18 which is the equivalent of 32:20 and is pretty standard for most around these parts. When I lived in Arizona and rode a lighter bike with less long climbs I did 32:18 but I wouldn't do that here. If I was doing that race I'd go 21 or 22. But so much depends on your personal fitness, style and technique, etc. and we can't help you with that.