Anybody ever ride Indian Trail?- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Anybody ever ride Indian Trail?

I heard someone at a local shop talking about riding Indian Trail, and now I may want to try it as well. I've hiked it before, but it always seemed impractical as a biking trail. I've talked to some guys from Ogden Trails Network who said it is allowed, but not encouraged. Any thoughts or recommendations? Which direction do you recommend? Do you ride it as an out-and-back or a shuttle run? Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    I'm interested in this as well. Which bike shop was it? I know the signs on the Bonneville-Shoreline section say "bikes not recommended" but some parts seems like they'd be do able, no problem.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    It was at Binghams on Washington. One of the shop employees said he rides it up from the 22nd street trailhead; it has to be a 20% grade the whole way up and very rocky. It seems very rideable above Ogden canyon and the climb seems more rideable from the Ogden canyon end. I may try a shuttle from Coldcreek canyon. It's about 4.5 miles. When I hiked it, it seemed like it would be a beautiful ride There is some great singletrack. Let someone know your up there though. It's a bit isolated and not used as frequently (due to its difficulty).

The Sentinel

It wouldn't be much fun...

If riding it is allowed, that is a fairly recent development. The Ogden Trails Council was pretty against it a few years ago...not that anyone really cared. It's too steep for all but the best climbers, and there is no way to come down into the canyon without skidding like crazy. There are better trails out there.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member

Yes

I think it's a fun trail to ride. But I also like trails that are part Hike-a-Bikes. It's definately not enjoyable for everyone.

I've ridden it from rainbow gardens up to Nevada Viewpoint. It's one of the few trails that I've ridden in Ogden that is continually technically challenging (read...balance for rear tire traction). It is VERY steep, and there is some exposure. I think it's a great adventure ride. Just be respectful of hikers and please be easy on the trail (no skidding). And be careful.

Pic 1 the steep slog up from Rainbow Gardens.
    Pic 2 Approaching Nevada Viewpoint.
    Pic 3 Amazing view from Nevad Viewpoint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0