• 01-15-2009
    Freshies
    Any updates from St George?
    Hi all! I was wondering if there was any updated info on trails in SW Utah around St George. I was thinking of coming down from SLC this weekend, but we're trying to figure out if there's enough ridable in St George or if we should continue to Vegas.

From scanning the old posts, it seems Zen is good. How about Bearclaw or JEM? And Gooseberry?

Any info would be appreciated! We definitely do not want to come down & ruin your trails!

Thanks!
  • 01-15-2009
    El Chingon
    Barrel trail, Zen, Barrel Rolls, Anasazi, Broken Mesa, Church Rocks, Paradise Canyon are all rideable. I haven't been out on the Mesas to see what kind of Shape Goose, JEM, Slickrock Swamp Little Creek are in.
  • 01-15-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    The Bear-claw poppy (AKA Green valley Loop)
    Is badly damaged from people riding it wet. There are 2 inch deep ruts on 80% of what used to be a smooth and fast trail. People also rode off the trail to avoid the aforementioned ruts in the trail causing the single track to no longer be single. Its in really bad shape out there, but was dry when I rode it on 1-12-09. Stuki springs was still pretty wet. I turned around maybe a mile above clavical hill when I ran into deep mud and snow on the shady areas.
  • 01-15-2009
    furrykid
    I've been riding the Rockville bench all week and it is in stellar shape... Parked at the quarry trail head on 1/13 and rode the hurricane rim... it was in great shape except for a few small spots. The Jem seemed sloppy throughout still... As with the Bearclaw/Poppy this doesn't seem to slow people down though... it is getting ridden. I still can't see how slopping around doing irreparable damage can be any fun at all... You could get to the goose on the hurricane side in the morning but by mid day it would be pudding! I drove to the last road climb before guacamole the other morning and it may well be dry enough to get to by sat.
  • 01-16-2009
    LaMar
    It's very annoying that people ride on the bear claw trail when wet. That used to be a fun ride.
    The Green Vally Race way and the Zen trails are right there and they are dry. The Zen is a great ride. One of the best in St. George. The Green valley Race loop is still fun with the rock washes, but it's been beat up a bit by ATVs. I even saw some people driving their truck up part of it so they could just ride the down hill I guess. :madman:
  • 01-16-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    Its more then a little frustrating.
    The Bear claw poppy was one of the best times you could have on a bike. It added a great variety to the riding in the area. It was Smooth, Fast, and just begged to be hammered down it in the big ring. Rough rutted and not really single track anymore.
    I'm with you and don't understand why people can't ride church rocks, prospector, Zen Peardise, or road bikes when the bear paw/stuki system is wet. I imagine the people that trashed it are not reading this forum so I am not sure ranting here is doing any good.
  • 01-16-2009
    skyhogg
    There's alot of reasons that the people who DONT read forums like this SHOULD read forums like this!

I'm heading down from SLC on Jan 19th to scope things out. Been watching the weather and its been mid 50's all week and supposed to stay at least that warm so I think things will begin to dry out. Then those damaged trails need to be ridden to clean em up!

I'll post an update next week.
  • 01-16-2009
    Freshies
    Thanks for the updates y'all. I rode Barrel Roll today. It's in great shape--just a tiny bit of mud in a shady area about 100yds long. It's a great trail to get the winter cobwebs off. Not much climbing, not technical at all--perfect. It's just a little short, so I did two laps. Great weather. Just what I needed...

Haven't decided about tomorrow yet, but I'm sure I'll have fun.

Thanks again.
  • 01-16-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    I think riding will help some.
    But I think it will need to be graded and raked if it is to return to its forum glory. Not sure how to remove all the ruts, and return it to single track however.
  • 01-16-2009
    wasea04
    I say we pay a security guard to tag the foo-yos who ruin our trails with a paintball gun as they try to enter the trails :D But seriously stay off trails when they're not ready to ride.......common sense........singletrack is for bikes not atvs trucks and dirtbikes, I don't know quite what to think about the growing popularity of the sport, I kind of feel like it's a mixed bag between the pros and cons........of course that's probably how people felt ten years ago when I started riding.......but then I didn't tear up trails and have done maintenance on most the trails in the area at one time or the other through various clubs and teams.
  • 01-16-2009
    wasea04
    I'm turning into a bike snob.........don't make me something I don't wanna be! :)
  • 01-17-2009
    furrykid
    guacamole is open for sure now.
  • 01-17-2009
    LoIQ
    Guacamole is ridable but the road up is not drivable. You'll have to ride up the last hill. I rode Rockville Bench today and it was good with the exception of a couple of patches of ice in the wash
  • 01-17-2009
    shelbster15
    1 Attachment(s)
    Goose needs some more time
    Gooseberry mesa road has seen a lot of traffic on it. The road still has muddy spots but the worse damage has all ready been done, i cant see it getting any worse, things are drying out and that bad spots are getting better. There is a handful of muddy areas, mostly on the road to the trail head. Not passable in a car but a suv or truck can make it without the use 4 wheel drive. North and south rim both have snow/mud/ice on them. More snow on north rim and is up to 6 inches in places. There is also icy areas due to constant shade which make biking in some spots impossible. I would recommend staying off for at least 1 to 2 more weeks as long as the sun stays out if you dont want to do any more trail damage then is already done. There was 3 vehicles in the parking lot and a couple camp sites being used. The trails are seeing bikes daily but would recommend waiting just a bit longer.
  • 01-17-2009
    Freshies
    Well, I'm home now in SLC. And although it's dark, I can sense the inversion sitting like a stink-cloud over the valley. Bleargh.

Today, I ended up riding Zen. What a fun trail! I'm not really sure that I'd describe it like Gooseberry on a hill (as the UMB site does). It's quite a bit different. It reminded most of Baby Steps in Moab. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more the next time too, as I had to stop a few times to find the route.

At the end of the Zen ride, I was SO TEMPTED to ride Bearclaw Poppy. I mean, it's RIGHT THERE. There were dozens of cars headed up that way. Well, at least I was tempted until I saw a bunch of bikers return. Their bikes were entirely caked with mud. I feel sorry for y'all--that trail is getting NO love...

Sooo...I headed over to the Anasazi trails for the 2nd ride of the day. Again, in great shape. I couldn't clear that first doubletrack hill though. :mad: The trail network there is fun, especially the singletrack south of the petroglyphs. It was a good contrast to the more techy Zen trail. Way more hikers than bikers out there for some reason. And I couldn't get the trail name TempiPOOP out of my head. :D (Although, I'm sure I've just insulted many Anasazi by leaving out the accents in the name.)

On my way out of town, I had a yummy Big Ben burger at the joint in Santa Clara. I have a weak spot for non-chain local burger joints. :)

Thanks again for the great info. If you ever need beta on Wasatch stuff in the summer, drop a line.
  • 01-17-2009
    wasea04
    Glad to hear you had a great time.
  • 01-18-2009
    MHCBH
    other options close to Bearclaw
    Hi all,
    I've apreciated everybody's updates re:the St. George trail conditions. I wil be down there in a little over a week, Jan. 26-28 and will be planning on doing some road and mtn. riding. I will be staying close to Green Valley and was planning on doing most of my mtn. riding on the Bear Claw loop, since that is close to where I'm staying and is really the only trail in the area that I'm familiar with. However, from the recent posts, it sounds like Bear Claw may still be really mucky. So here are a few questions that maybe you can help me with:
    1 - is the entire Bear Claw trail torn up or just the "upper part" - near Clavicle hill, etc. Would the lower Bloomington end still be ok to ride?
    2 - what are my other options that are close by,considering that I will not have my own car and will have to ride to the trail (our condo is on Valley View Drive, just north of Dixie Drive - by the Sinclair and Don Pedros)

I am not looking for anything very technical. I hear that I may be able to access some trails in the foothills of Green Valley, near where you would usually access the top of Bear Claw. Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • 01-18-2009
    LaMar
    1 Attachment(s)
    You've got to try the Zen. It's a good mix of just about everything.

As far as road you could head out to Sand Hallow. It's not a bad ride. I rode out there on Saturday. Weather was just about perfect.
  • 01-20-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    You should be fine.
    When I rode the bear claw last week it was dry. I ran into mud above clavicle hill heading for stuki springs but it was dry from blommington to the water tower above the 3 fingers. The racecourse in green valley was just fine, and this was a week ago, and a week full af 50 dergee days. Have a good trip, and if it rains please give the trails the time they need to dry.
  • 01-21-2009
    gnriden
    Good time to ride Bear Claw.
    Its a good time to ride the clay trails now,. They are drying out now and could use the traffic to pack them in. There are still some wet spots in places but have become mouldable and we need to pack it down to get rid of the big ruts . So go ride already! 01/2109
  • 01-23-2009
    dawgrider
    St George Trails - Saturday Update
    It has been drizzling down here all day. Your only hope would be Church Rocks or Bootleg in Boulder City. I rode Bearclaw a few days ago (before the rain). It's badly rutted.