Any talk regarding the Moab 24hr- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any talk regarding the Moab 24hr

has there been any talk regarding anyone reviving the 24 hr race in Moab.
    some of us canadians were hoping to come down and do this one within the next couple of years and then i heard the bad news that it was cancelled.
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

Your Best Friend
    I haven't heard a thing. We did it five years in a row and really enjoyed it but the value for your dollar went down every year. I especially liked 2011 when we were all asked to pay for and register "Ghost teams".
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Yeah, "ghost teams". I was there in 2011 listening to the promoter ask to register "ghost teams". Which is code for "donate to my failing business model".

Why not hit the 18 hrs of Fruita or the 25 hours of Frog Hollow (Hurricane area using part of the JEM trail)? Those are other races that should help you get your fix for desert riding. Fruita puts you 1.5 hours driving time from Moab. And, in case you haven't been paying attention, Hurricane / St. George has some phenomenal riding.

Frame Building Moderator
    I think people just got tired of it. The format was tired, the venue was tired, the fire roads/sand/slickrock course is not all that popular anymore (though it worked well for a big volume of racers).

So no, I would not expect to see it happen ever again. It was a fun event and I really enjoyed it the one time I did it but there are lots of other options for 24 hour racing in the area so I can't say I miss it that much.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have not heard any talk of bringing it back. There are lots of endurance racing options but I can't really think of one like moab. 25 hours in frog hollow is a great event but the course is not anywhere near as challenging as moab. FH has about 1/2 the climbing and 1/8 the technical riding that the behind the rocks course did. Rumor is that FH is changing the course to get rid of the 1 mile of technical riding that the course did have. It that's true you will be able to ride it faster on a cross bike then a mtb. Great race but very different ride then moab offered.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I have not heard any talk of bringing it back. There are lots of endurance racing options but I can't really think of one like moab. 25 hours in frog hollow is a great event but the course is not anywhere near as challenging as moab. FH has about 1/2 the climbing and 1/8 the technical riding that the behind the rocks course did. Rumor is that FH is changing the course to get rid of the 1 mile of technical riding that the course did have. It that's true you will be able to ride it faster on a cross bike then a mtb. Great race but very different ride then moab offered.
    That change is for the 6 hours only.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Your Best Friend
    25 hours in Frog Hollow=most poorly organized race I've ever done. Never again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am not going to argue that the 25 of FH is a perfect, but I have done much less organized races. Actually I think FH does a few things well.

1. Course Marking. I have had no trouble navigating the course either day or night. I have done many events (Icups mostly) where the course has turns marked with one or 2 small flags which usually get runover making it easy to get off course. Seems like FH makes an effort to get the course marked early enough for preriding and to over mark it.

2. Vendors. This has been getting better each year. They had multiple options for light charging (Niterider and Lights in moton) Mechanial support from OTE sports in Hurricane who I saw working on at least 50 different bikes all night long and not asking for any Money except for parts they had for sale. Food was available from a couple different local businesses there was at least a Coffee place and a restaurant in addition to the Provided meals with race entry. There was a massage tent who was only asking for tips. Honestly for a small local event the vendors are the best I have seen. Only place I have seen better support for racers is National level races with major sponsors

There did seem to be some confusion among volunteers at registration and timing so im certain mistakes were made. I'm also not a big fan of the just take off whenever you see your teammate coming system. While I don't think it happens much it makes it very easy to just leave a few minutes early. Seems like handing off a baton or something is pretty standard fare for relay races. Overall I think the event is well done and very far from the worst I have ever seen.

PM me

Your Best Friend
    We did the very first one.

People left for their laps MINUTES before their teammates came in.

Four port-a-potties for the whole event.

No fires allowed, at all.

People who won the costume contest got better prizes than the people who won the race.

No on site water.

There are others but I forget right now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We did the very first one.

People left for their laps MINUTES before their teammates came in.

Four port-a-potties for the whole event.

No fires allowed, at all.

People who won the costume contest got better prizes than the people who won the race.

No on site water.

There are others but I forget right now.
    In the five years since that the event has evolved and gotten better every year.

We raced the first year and since I literally live across the street from the course, I have worked every race since. I like the course as its got plenty of room for passing on the doubletrack, plenty of singletrack and a touch or tech.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Your Best Friend
    I'm sure it has gotten better but...tell me more about her current timing system. If it is the same, I.e. no system at all, then it still sucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1. Fires are have been allowed in above ground containers for at least the last few years
    2. Cheaters, already discussed and I agree a handoff of some soft would be beneficial.
    3. Port-a-potties. Seems like there were at least a dozen maybe more. I never had to wait with more then 3 people.
    4. If your doing it for the prize your going to be disappointed with any MTB race. However I saw some pretty good prizes for winners last year. Light and Motion Lights, other good stuff I just can't recall.
    5. There is no running water in the area. There was water, sports drink, gu's, and even an amazing midnight cheese quesadilla at the start finish area.

The first race was 5 years ago and it has gotten better each year. Maybe 2014 is the year you give it a second chance

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I'm sure it has gotten better but...tell me more about her current timing system. If it is the same, I.e. no system at all, then it still sucks.
    You're such a hater. Did you not get what you wanted for your birthday?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Your Best Friend
    Ha. I haven't seen a well organized race by Cinnabun yet.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    My wife and I raced the first 25hr Frog Hollow event too (with some friends from Vegas to round out our team).

I've done the 24 Hours of Glen Helen before (off road motorcycle race) which was intense and a really good time, but the atmosphere is really amped up all night long with the lights and sounds buzzing all over the hills. The Frog Hollow event definitely didn't have that level of energy (for obvious reasons), but I chalked most of the short-comings up to a first-year event.

I would consider doing it again, assuming its improved quite a bit since then.

mtbr member
    I've got the perfect antidote for bad races:

Ride more, race less.