Any SS people in here?- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

Any SS people in here?

This past year, I sold my 26er FS bike and bought a SS rigid 29er. I am really liking it and I don't think I'll be doing too much of the geared bikes in the near future. Just wondering how many others are doing the SS thing around here.

I ride a Monocog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, I was. But then I moved to OR. Still SSing with a rigid 29er though. Good times;-) Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I SS on a ridgid 29er, Surly KM. I mainly use the bike as a commuter though. Its got too much gear to ride anything significant (32-18). I like to ride up dry creek and and long the BST with it. I think 32-20 would be good gear for stuff like Flying Dog.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm converting my Cannodale F4 right now, just waiting for the rest of the parts to show up so I can give it a go. I've got my Prophet for the fast and hairy stuff so this will be a bit of a trail tinkerer type of deal just to get my feet wet in SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Up in PArk City there are tons of SS. I rode one pretty much exclusively all spring until I got my new bike...

sugoi chairinko
    I built up a 29er SS over the winter, not knowing whether I'd like it or not, and it's pretty much all I rode all summer. I love my FS bikes; a BLT and a new Pivot Mach 4, but I just can't stay away from the sweet SS action.

I ride a Monocog flight; XT brakes, Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Stan's Arches, cheap crank, left over bar, stem, saddle, seatpost. Nothing flashy, or very light (24 lbs), but I love it! I run 32-20, and find it just about right for everything in the Wasatch.

Apr 2007
    Yeah, I run 32x20, too. My chainring's toast, so I am going to order a 33T. I haven't done too many different trails around here, but I think the only trail that might give me some trouble is Little Cottonwood Canyon (Quarry, or whatever it's called).

I'd like to switch out my frame next year to a Vassago or KM, but this Monocog does great.

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Yeah, I run 32x20, too. My chainring's toast, so I am going to order a 33T. I haven't done too many different trails around here, but I think the only trail that might give me some trouble is Little Cottonwood Canyon (Quarry, or whatever it's called).

I'd like to switch out my frame next year to a Vassago or KM, but this Monocog does great.

i'm sure there might be a few more if you are having trouble with that flat trail

although i climbed this summer in my middle chainring only, just riding a SS might be too much mashing or walking the bike for me.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm also curious about SS'ing around SLC. Can anyone tell me if the Dry Gulch-BST-Bobsled loop is too brutal with 32-20 to run several times a week as part of my exercise regimen? I haven't had a single speed since I was a kid but am attracted to the idea of standing up and getting a more upper body workout on rides. Then I look up at those huge hills and think, wtf are you crazy?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by esXso
    I'm also curious about SS'ing around SLC. Can anyone tell me if the Dry Gulch-BST-Bobsled loop is too brutal with 32-20 to run several times a week as part of my exercise regimen? I haven't had a single speed since I was a kid but am attracted to the idea of standing up and getting a more upper body workout on rides. Then I look up at those huge hills and think, wtf are you crazy?
    32-20 is a pretty standard 29er gear, probably too small for a 26er if you are reasonably strong. I would try a 32-18 first and adjust if necessary. Yeah, it's hard.

JMH

Waiting for Godot
    I'm also curious about SS'ing around SLC. Can anyone tell me if the Dry Gulch-BST-Bobsled loop is too brutal with 32-20 to run several times a week as part of my exercise regimen? ?

you should already have that gear(or one close to it) on your bike right now. go see if you can do it. if not try the next one down, then thats the gear to start off with.

i was noticing that i never used my 22 front chainring anymore, so when i sheared four teeth off of it, i just took it off. you will be amazed at how fast you get strong from using bigger gears if your knees can take the abuse.

for winter training i put a new 22 on to really work on spinning and keep HR down on longer rides.

Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode 32-18 all over the Wasatch and it seemed to work well. A bit tough sometimes, but less spinning out on the flats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's pretty hard core. I live in the Liberty Park area and my "training ride" is riding from here, up Dry Creek, to the Bob Sled, and then coming back down Dry Creek.

I may see if I can climb up Clarks in Draper before it snows again. It'd be nice to have a 20/18 dingle rear cog so I can switch from trail to commuter mode no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Commit to the 32-18. When i bought my bike (jamis exile) it came with a 32-16. I knew I couldn't do that, but I thought maybe a 32-18. It was tough at first, but you get used to it when that's all you have to pick from.

My favorite climb was PCMR up Spiro and Thayne's Canyon to Scott's Pass and up Puke Hill. Rode it all to Scott's Pass (with one foot dab in a rocky tech section), then walked Puke. Your legs get stronger and you get used to it.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    34 / 20 for the rigid 29er. I just tried a 32 / 20 on the 29er a few weeks ago and it felt really spinny to me on a corner canyon ride.

And don't let UCME decieve you about his 32/18 being an easy gear to push around, he's a strong rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    34 / 20 for the rigid 29er. I just tried a 32 / 20 on the 29er a few weeks ago and it felt really spinny to me on a corner canyon ride.

And don't let UCME decieve you about his 32/18 being an easy gear to push around, he's a strong rider.

q,

good to hear you. I'll be in SLC 12/20-1/3 and eager to ride. Pushed my 32-18 up 2100' in 50 min on Monday. Felt good, but the Wasatch elevation is going to be tough to deal with ;-)

e

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode a GF Rig 32:18 29er all summer. While I might switch to a 19 tooth cog for stuff like Park City up Spiro to Crest to Puke hill etc there is no reason to lighter than an 18 for Flying Dog. FD is actually alot easier than Dry Creek to City Creek or the reverse is. I agree with previous comments to the effect that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Talentless Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by snack64
    I rode a GF Rig 32:18 29er all summer. While I might switch to a 19 tooth cog for stuff like Park City up Spiro to Crest to Puke hill etc there is no reason to lighter than an 18 for Flying Dog. FD is actually alot easier than Dry Creek to City Creek or the reverse is. I agree with previous comments to the effect that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    Hey snack64 is your shoulder healed up? Rumors are swirling that you may move to MT. I'm putting together a ss for early season training, hope to keep up on the climbs this year.
    JC
    Sierra Club Sucks

Apr 2007
    Warmed a little bit lately. I was tempted to break out the SS out of hibernation. I need a new chainring, though. Looking for a 33T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Totally. I expect to be riding my single speed most of the time this season.

Members who have read this thread: 0