Any Recommendations for a Ride in SLC this Afternoon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Any Recommendations for a Ride in SLC this Afternoon?

Been riding up at Round Valley the last couple of days in the ice and snow and 20F weather, and was hoping to ride some dirt in the 30F weather of SLC. Have never ridden in SLC (just moved from CO a couple months ago), and was hoping for a recommendation for a couple hour ride. I like everything from flowy trails to technical all-mountain, and will have my Rip9 with me. Rides near I-80 / 215 would be great. Any advice including how to get there would be very much appreciated.

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Salt Lake South Area Mountain Bike Trails

Probably try Corner Canyon down in Draper. Not too far to get to from the SE corner of I-215.
    Thread over there discussing the conditions (last post on Sunday night): UtahMountainBiking.com :: View topic - Corner Canyon

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    Salt Lake South Area Mountain Bike Trails

Probably try Corner Canyon down in Draper. Not too far to get to from the SE corner of I-215.
    Thread over there discussing the conditions (last post on Sunday night): UtahMountainBiking.com :: View topic - Corner Canyon
    Sounds like the trails are still snowy, or is that just the upper trails (Clarks / Ghost Falls)? Sorry I don't know where these trails are in the grand scheme of Corner Canyon, but was hoping to do a little riding on some dirt, but definitely not mud. If it is just snow down there, I'll ride out here in PC again.

Thanks again for the info Nord.

mtbr member
    The Shoreline Trail between the zoo and Dry Creek is dry and in perfect condition right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris C. View Post
    The Shoreline Trail between the zoo and Dry Creek is dry and in perfect condition right now.
    If I had time to ride today, that's where I'd probably head. When we've had a week or so of clear weather, those trails are usually nice and dry, since they're SW facing, not a lot of trees, and get plenty of direct sun. Corner canyon faces north and has more trees, so it dries a lot slower.

The lower 1/2 of Pipeline in Mill Creek cyn is probably ok, too.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    The Bonneville Shoreline trail was good Monday eve, and so should be today also. Trailhead is across from the zoo on Sunnyside ave just east of This is the place state park. utahmountainbiking.com has a trail description to help you find your way.

edit: it was fine up and beyond Dry Creek too, clear and dry but the sub-freezing temps might have helped that. At the bottom of Dry creek is a nice sheet of ice courtesy of a small spring that you'll want to watch for.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I thought I read about people getting their cars broken into on this trail. Is there a safe place to park?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like a good trail, but does anyone have any recommendations for anything closer to East Millcreek / Cottonwood Heights? Every minute saved in the car is another minute riding, as I have to be back in PC by 4.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ You could park at the zoo where there's more foot traffic and ride the 100 yards or so and cross the street to begin your ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Sounds like a good trail, but does anyone have any recommendations for anything closer to East Millcreek / Cottonwood Heights? Every minute saved in the car is another minute riding, as I have to be back in PC by 4.
    Probably just lower pipeline up millcreek. Can't say for sure on conditions though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I thought I read about people getting their cars broken into on this trail. Is there a safe place to park?
    Sure, it happens from time to time (just like any other trailhead), but I've parked there dozens of times and never had an issue. Or park at the zoo if the trailhead is less busy this time of year and the zoo parking lot has space.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Glenwild may be ridable today on the south facing trails, I rode them last week on my Cyclocross bike without a problem. With the inversion today, it will be similar temperatures in Park City as Salt Lake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When did you ride it last week? I tried to ride it on Tuesday, and got about 10 feet up the trail before I turned around because it was so muddy. And we got a couple of inches of snow over the weekend, so I am sure that will be getting pretty muddy now, as it hasn't gotten above freezing since the snow. Scott from Go-ride was saying that the snow was too deep on the upper trails too on Sunday.

Does anyone have any recent Glenwild trail info? I would like to ride there if it isn't going to be a mudfest.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I rode Glenwilds South facing trails on Friday Morning last week, the ground was still frozen - so no mud. The upper trails are all closed - with a huge closed sign to prevent you from riding.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Im about to ride city creek/bobsled on bonneville shoreline today

DOH!
    Rode the front side of Glenwild yesterday (Tues) morning ~7am. On a Pugsley. Great conditions, if a little brisk (1* F). There a thin snow/ice layer system-wide; it gets a little deeper near the ridge, but it's packed solid.

There hasn't been enough foot traffic on the back side to pack it down sufficiently for even a fat bike. You can kinda sorta muscle your way through it, but it's not fun. At all. Forget regular-sized tires; you'll be walking.

My guess would be that if it gets warm enough to even partially melt the south-facing trails of GW you won't want to be on them. That dirt goes from frozen to a sticky mess far more quickly than one would expect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Im about to ride city creek/bobsled on bonneville shoreline today
    How was it? I'm thinking of heading up there after work on Friday if I can swing an early departure.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    bonneville was great, no ice/snowy sections at all. Bobsled was good except for the section where the spring runs out the trail, large ice slabs in the center ditch and in all the corners. After that sharp left hand berm at the end of the first section most of the ice was very thin and ride-able. I will do it again probably on saturday, just be careful until u see the ice, it snuck up on me.

In the end after hiking that little section it is still worth it, all the fun stuff after the beginning is great.
    Last edited by While At Rome; 12-08-2011 at 04:37 AM.