Any news on the White Rim (UT)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Any news on the White Rim (UT)?

Have permits for two nights in end of September 2011, and, now that its 2011, gotta start planning out my year. I was planning on calling the canyonlands ranger station but thought I'd check here to see if anyone knew if they have started repairs, or if they are planning to repair it.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll probably give a call in the next couple days and will post anything I hear.

Des(s)ert Rat
    I've heard nothing, and would appreciate an update!

mtbr member
    Bikes can make it down but your support vehicles will need to go in via potash. Last I heard there were no immediate plans to repair the road.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

frejwilk
    The contract for rebuilding the road has been awarded. The project is currently underway. Not sure what they're able to do with the snow, but the Mineral Bottom road including the temporary hiking route is closed until the work is complete.

I've only seen spring 2011 as the completion date. September should definitely be safe for a trip.

FW

SS Chimp
    http://www.nps.gov/cany/news082410.htm

Repairs were scheduled to begin on December 14th. The BLM indicates that blasting will close the Mineral Bottom climb to all users.
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    great. thanks for the info. I wound up emailing the Canyonlands NPS this AM, so I'll post anything I hear, when I hear it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    word from NPS jives with what frejwilk was saying. just got this email back from them:

Even though there's no way to reliably predict when it'll again be possible
    to complete a loop of the White Rim Trail, I'd suspect the itinerary you
    have reserved in September should be fine as-is . . . If I were you, as I'd
    mentioned, I'd sit tight with what you've got for the time being. Watch
    for news releases on our web site later this spring or into the summer, see
    what the status of repairs might be (in progress still or completed), and
    reassess at that point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    siiiick

thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is there a shorter WRIAD alternative that would cut out the Mineral Bottom climb?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I follow a Moab blog site on FB and several people reported that the mineral bottom road would open 29 mar to vehicle traffic. I checked the moab times and searched google, but I couldn't find anything to confirm it. if you have more info please post it, I plan a trip out there in the fall.....thanks

Desert Seeker
    Just received the following message from a post to an email list that I'm on:

Good morning -

Exciting news... it is official, the Mineral Bottom road will be OPEN and
    passable on Tuesday March 29, 2011. The road will be open to both
    commercial and private traffic. With the understanding that time is of the essence, we wanted to notify you as soon as possible so that you may book trips and plan logistics accordingly. An official joint agency press release (BLM, Grand County, NPS) will be forth coming. In the mean time, if you have any questions please feel free to give me a call. Please feel free to share this exciting news and forward this information to individuals, outfitters and companies that may benefit from this information. Thank you and happy spring!!

Jennifer Jones- Outdoor Recreation Planner
    Moab BLM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine
    Just received the following message from a post to an email list that I'm on:

Good morning -

Exciting news... it is official, the Mineral Bottom road will be OPEN and
    passable on Tuesday March 29, 2011. The road will be open to both
    commercial and private traffic. With the understanding that time is of the essence, we wanted to notify you as soon as possible so that you may book trips and plan logistics accordingly. An official joint agency press release (BLM, Grand County, NPS) will be forth coming. In the mean time, if you have any questions please feel free to give me a call. Please feel free to share this exciting news and forward this information to individuals, outfitters and companies that may benefit from this information. Thank you and happy spring!!

Jennifer Jones- Outdoor Recreation Planner
    Moab BLM
    Great news. Too bad I'm going to Moab on the 26-27th!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Canyonlands National Park White Rim

Hello:

The White Rim road and the Mineral Switchbacks sustained flood damage last year and have been impassable since. Work on the Mineral Switchbacks is estimated to be completed and the switchbacks reopened on March 29th 2011.

The White Rim is also projected to be opened simultaneously with the opening of the Mineral Switchbacks, however road work will continue on the White Rim well into the spring season.

During the coming spring season, we will be requiring day users to obtain permits and to comply with the same group size limits as overnight users do in order to avoid damage to natural and cultural resources along the road, improve public safety, and avoid conflict among user groups.

Beginning March 1, 2011 and continuing through May 31, 2011, the following will apply to day users on the White Rim, Shafer Trail, and Potash roads within Canyonlands:

Group size may not exceed:
    3 motor vehicles (including motorcycles)
    15 bicycles (bicycle groups may not exceed 15 riders)
    15 people total

Each group must obtain a Day Use Permit:
    Permits are free and unlimited
    Day Use Permits will normally be issued for use of the “Day Use Zone” which includes the White Rim Road south to Musselman Arch, the Shafer Trail, and the Potash Road within the park.
    Permits will be issued for other White Rim day use destinations if requested by the permittee.
    Permits will be available at the Arches Visitor Center, the ISKY Visitor Center, the SEUG office, the MIC, and at most Jeep rental businesses in Moab

These measures will remain in place through May 31, 2011.

The previous regulations applicable to travel on the White Rim will not change. For example:

Motorcycles must be street legal: sound limit is 80 decibels
    Operation of ATVs/OHVs is prohibited within Canyonlands, Arches, Hovenweep, and Natural Bridges
    Pets are not allowed on the White Rim Road, even in a vehicle. However, pets may accompany day user groups travelling by motor vehicle on the Potash and Shafer roads

Please feel free to contact me or the Southeast Utah Goup at 435 259 4351

Members who have read this thread: 0