mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Another whole enchilada thread

read a bunch of threads, seems prime to hit it is september and october and who knows when burro will close in october. my questions are

1. is burro really awesome riding? or is it just the novelty of riding trees in moab, and starting from the highest point possible? i'm just wondering where it ranks on the highlight reel of TWE and if it should be a priority to be in moab when it's most likely to be open ie mid to end of sept, or **** it just go mid october and hope for the best

2. if burro is no go, the next highest starting point is hazard right? generally speaking is hazard usually clear all throughout october?

3. if there's any locals kicking around here, mid october, what are the odds of burro being snow free.. 50/50? or worse?

4. and finally, mid october, there should be no issue for any of the other flagship trails like mag 7 or hymasa/ahab/etc..?

thanks!

mtbr member
    1. Yes, it's awesome. No, it's not a novelty. Yes, it should be a priority.
    2. Yes, I believe so. Yes...but it depends. Mother nature, you know?
    3. I'll defer to locals, but probably better than 50/50.
    4. Everything else you mentioned should be very good.

There have been winters in northern Utah where the skiing wasn't good until Christmas. We had a Halloween where some people were lost in the Uintas in October due to heavy snows and their remains weren't found for years. YMMV!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1) Yes itís awesome. Fast, steep, tight, alpine single track. Burro and hazard are two of the best sections of TWE, in my opinion.

2) Top of hazard is the next drop point. Iíd say hazard is usually clear until November or more?

3) Every single time I have ridden Burro down itís been bookended by days when you couldnít ride it. Sometimes it snows in September and itís closed for a week, then itís clear for a few weeks. If you were there for a 5 days in mid October, Iíd say your odds of riding burro down on one of those days is 50%. However your one shot may be the very first day or the very last. Unlikely thatís itís available everyday. That all being said, in 2017, I rode Burro down on November 7. The next day it snowed and it was closed for the year. The tricky part is shuttle coordination. Shuttles fill up fast and timing one for a group is hard. Youíll have to make advanced reservations. A lot of the times, the shuttle drivers donít know how high they will go until the day of.

4) Mid October is prime time for the trails you listed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddock View Post
    1) Yes itís awesome. Fast, steep, tight, alpine single track. Burro and hazard are two of the best sections of TWE, in my opinion.

2) Top of hazard is the next drop point. Iíd say hazard is usually clear until November or more?

3) Every single time I have ridden Burro down itís been bookended by days when you couldnít ride it. Sometimes it snows in September and itís closed for a week, then itís clear for a few weeks. If you were there for a 5 days in mid October, Iíd say your odds of riding burro down on one of those days is 50%. However your one shot may be the very first day or the very last. Unlikely thatís itís available everyday. That all being said, in 2017, I rode Burro down on November 7. The next day it snowed and it was closed for the year. The tricky part is shuttle coordination. Shuttles fill up fast and timing one for a group is hard. Youíll have to make advanced reservations. A lot of the times, the shuttle drivers donít know how high they will go until the day of.

4) Mid October is prime time for the trails you listed.
    thanks, i'll be there five days, might be able to be there oct 6-11 so being a week earlier might help a tad. i'll make sure to keep my schedule loose

mtbr member
    I rode TWE last Tuesday and Burr0 is awesome and steeper than it can be conveyed on camera. You can't claim to have ridden TWE unless you start at Geyser Pass trailhead.
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

Colo RiverRat
    Hey Ethierjung! Yep, I rode the WE last tuesday too. But I will say that out of all the shuttles that dumped riders out at the pass all morning long.... only ONE guy really rode the Whole Enchilada! That was the guy from Canada who got up and left Moab on his bike at 5:30a and RODE to the Geyser Pass trailhead... then rode the whole thing down and then rode back to town. Truly an epic and made all us other riders look like weenies. What is that? about 8000' of vert climbing and 70+ miles? Yea, we are all weenies.............

I was the guy on the '85 Rockhopper

Another whole enchilada thread-porc14.jpg
    Klingon

Ride Hard, Die Free

mtbr member
    I rode it 2 days ago. It's just past peak for fall color, but still beautiful. It is definitely worth adding in the sections prior to Hazard, if possible.
    Here are a few pix from the upper section. If it's cooler than about 75 in Moab at 10 AM, you'll need a jacket up high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another whole enchilada thread-20180923_112115.jpg  

Another whole enchilada thread-20180923_200047.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Last year it snowed a few times in Oct. but melted off fast. We had no real permanent snow until December if I recall correctly. The real issue is the shuttles are only permitted for a limited amount of trips so they will stop even if thereís no snow. You can always self shuttle but again, the NFS will close Geyser Pass Rd. If it becomes too muddy.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    It's been said, but bears repeating - Burro is AWESOME! I fell in with a fast crowd when I did it and was surprised to find that that was the most challenging part of the ride for me. I'm used to the gnarly rocks you find below in the desert, but the endless steep chutes of moon dust up top were terrifying at the speed we were going. It was the highlight of the day for me... And it was a pretty fan-freaking-tastic day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looked at the webcam today and the La sal's look covered in a thick blanket of snow. Any local reports ?

Thanks

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Yup, covered with snow, finally ! Not good for visitors but great for us. As of Friday they were shuttling LPS down, anything above that is mudded out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    And just in case you think "it's just a little snow".... there was a foot of snow on Burro and 8" on Hazard last Sunday - and it's snowed more this week. Even the road was impassable in places. TWE won't be open again until July.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I thought it looked like heavy cover. Looks like I will get what I can lower down. Thanks for the intel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So one more ? for the locals. Anything new to look for ? heading down there in about a week. I think I have ridden most all the majors and most of the minors. It's all good stuff. Always fun to find some new. Going through Ely Nevada on the way to try their trails.

Thanks

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    So one more ? for the locals. Anything new to look for ? heading down there in about a week. I think I have ridden most all the majors and most of the minors. It's all good stuff. Always fun to find some new. Going through Ely Nevada on the way to try their trails.

Thanks
    Make sure you've got plenty of gas and supplies if you're going through Ely on the way... It is the most remote, desolate area I've ever been in. Hours and hours without seeing a building or another car even, pretty unnerving.

mtbr member

Another whole enchilada thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    ..... going through Ely on the way... It is the most remote, desolate area I've ever been in. Hours and hours without seeing a building or another car even.
    We like it that way.

Hey eastsiderider, Check out the Iceplant trails including the new Powderberry Divide Trail. Also check out the High Roller route at Cave Lake. Theyíre both on Trail Forks.

Iíll be out of town this weekend or Iíd be happy to show you around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    We like it that way.
    No doubt, just nice to know that before you go. I almost ran out of gas coming from Moab to Ely, partially because the KOA's address was wrong and partially because I didn't realize we wouldn't be seeing signs of life for a couple hours... It did not look like a fun place to be stranded. Driving from there to Lee Vining the next day was even more remote, but at least I knew it would be at that point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hoping someone on this thread can help. Looking to ride in Moab during Thanksgiving week but looks like Coyote and Porcupine Shuttles are not running that week. Any other ways to get the trails that require shuttling? Local FB or forums where we can find a carpool!? Appreciate any tips!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kariglio View Post
    Hoping someone on this thread can help. Looking to ride in Moab during Thanksgiving week but looks like Coyote and Porcupine Shuttles are not running that week. Any other ways to get the trails that require shuttling? Local FB or forums where we can find a carpool!? Appreciate any tips!
    Late November? Shuttles are shut down.

Nothing in Moab *requires* a shuttle - well maybe Burro but that's closed already. Porcupine Rim is probably as high as you can get by then, and you can easily ride that from town. Almost everything else can be ridden from town or ridden as a loop.

There are a few taxi companies in town with bike racks - not sure where they go or how much they'd charge.
    Last edited by sunderland56; 10-30-2018 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    Late November? Shuttles are shut down.

Nothing in Moab *requires* a shuttle - well maybe Burro but that's closed already. Porcupine Rim is probably as high as you can get by then, and you can easily ride that from town. Almost everything else can be ridden from town or ridden as a loop.

There are a few taxi companies in town with bike racks - not sure where they go or how much they'd charge.
    I do not know anything about these guys, but I have seen their vehicles around: https://moabtrailtaxi.com/

mtbr member
    Rode from Kokopelli down this weekend. Self shuttled to there and were all alone on the trail the whole way except for one trail runner and one dog hiker near the bottom. Based on trail conditions I'm sure we could have driven to and started at Hazard/Werner campground, but we had a person doing the trail for their first time with us and didn't want to push their endurance.
    2016 Stumpy 29er