Another trail etiquette question DH at Deer Valley.- Mtbr.com

Poll: Okay to ride uphill at a lift served park?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Another trail etiquette question DH at Deer Valley.

My girlfriend her son ad I rode at DV today. We are all relative newbes I told them about mixed use trails and a little about etiquette. But it did not occur to me to tell them about people going uphill having the right of way. Here is my question DH lift served park riding is it a breach of etiquette to ride uphill? Signs at the lift base say not to. Seriously guys with more skill than I bomb that thing, It seems dangerous to ride up hill at a park. I decided to go Sunday to avoid the crowd and pulled over for faster riders once or twice a run.

Side note I had a blast, I rode a borrowed hardtail while her son had my cannondale (busted derailleur and a brake lever but he is okay) I loved it I had never really considered a hard tial on such a ride.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    If the sign says DH only, then you don't ride up the trail. I would bet that if it is a DH park then there are designated trails to go up for those who want to suffer the climbs rather than take the gondola. Riders have absolutely no business riding uphill on designated DH only trails and it is there for everyone's safety.

DH riders are going pretty fast 30+mph and there is absolutely for the most part no room for them to safely stop if you are riding uphill on the trail.

All users should respect trail designations regardless if it is at a bike park or other trail system. They are designated for a reason.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    If the sign says DH only, then you don't ride up the trail. I would bet that if it is a DH park then there are designated trails to go up for those who want to suffer the climbs rather than take the gondola. Riders have absolutely no business riding uphill on designated DH only trails and it is there for everyone's safety.

DH riders are going pretty fast 30+mph and there is absolutely for the most part no room for them to safely stop if you are riding uphill on the trail.

All users should respect trail designations regardless if it is at a bike park or other trail system. They are designated for a reason.
    Well said. I was there yesterday as well, riding the downhills. It is pretty vague, as you get to the edges of the lift served area, as to what is designated a downhill (TG and Corvair come to mind) and on those, I'm pretty religious about yielding to uphill traffic. On the obvious downhills, I'd also yield, but you just don't expect people to be coming up those runs, so it becomes a real safety issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    as MSU Alum said, as you get to the edges....Corvair is signed facing you if you look at it from the bottom ... seems legit to go up it. All the stuff in the meadow that takes you over towards TG/PC seems to be multi-directional. ( Flagstaff loop is a loop, can go either way)

Payroll is clearly "DH only" and signed as such.

Team Big Bear/Tour de Suds are both definitely used in the up hill direction. ( and again, have signs at the bottom indicating that )

Moosebones makes something of a loop and can be ridden in different directions.

i know DV owns it all, and this really isn't a valid argument, but a bunch of that trail pre-dates the resort and lift served riding ( although most of the old stuff has been replaced over the years )

Unless signed "DH Only" I think up hill has the right of way...

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I agree. Cannot fault users if the trail isn't signed. Heck, even when they sign a trail as one way only, still find users who disregard the sign and ride up anyways. I know one trail in Fruita, Kessel Run that was recently designated DH (one way) and it is signed that way at both areas where someone could hop on the trail and ride the wrong way.

This lady started up at the bottom of the trail and rode the wrong way up - we kindly told her that she was riding the wrong way... well when we went back up for ride #2, she was riding the wrong way on the upper part of the trail...after being told she was riding the wrong way and passing two signs that stated it was one way only. It was pretty clear she didn't give a crap and was going to ride how she wanted to.

Granted, Kessel Run isn't very steep and some question the one way designation but those in charge of the trails designated it that way and it should be respected regardless if we agree with it or not... I am sure there was alot of discussion in the group and they came to the conclusion to designate it... To be honest, I like having it one way only so you can have the opportunity to rip it as fast as you want to without worrying about someone surprising you around a blind corner.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    as MSU Alum said, as you get to the edges....Corvair is signed facing you if you look at it from the bottom ... seems legit to go up it. All the stuff in the meadow that takes you over towards TG/PC seems to be multi-directional. ( Flagstaff loop is a loop, can go either way)

Payroll is clearly "DH only" and signed as such.

Team Big Bear/Tour de Suds are both definitely used in the up hill direction. ( and again, have signs at the bottom indicating that )

Moosebones makes something of a loop and can be ridden in different directions.

i know DV owns it all, and this really isn't a valid argument, but a bunch of that trail pre-dates the resort and lift served riding ( although most of the old stuff has been replaced over the years )

Unless signed "DH Only" I think up hill has the right of way...
    I disagree and think that unless signed "uphill only" it should be assumed at resorts such as Deer Valley/Canyons that the trail is downhill only. It would be a dangerous assumption if you were an uphill rider expecting a downhill rider to yield to you. At the speeds riders are riding any crash wouldn't be pretty. Just curious if you saw a sign at the base of the resort stating no uphill traffic, why did you decide to ride uphill anyways? I know you are asking the question now about etiquette, but that doesn't explain why you ignored the rules of the resort before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Covair trail has a lot of intersections with other trails far away from the lift. I've never even really considered it a 'lift' trail and never thought twice about riding up it any time of the day. I've never had a bad experience there, either. I guess I need to be more careful in that area. I ride up Big Bear quite a lot, too, but it tends to be on late evening rides after the lifts are closed. I figure there's as much risk coming up Spiro or Pinecone on a crowded weekend, though...

I wouldn't ride up any of the 'downhill' trails close to the lifts, signed or not, when the lifts are running. It's just not worth the risk or hassle. It's not all that fun, either. The Mid-Week Race course at Silver Lake took us straight up Homeward Bound and gained about 1200' in a little over a mile. I'm a Texas-based flatlander 11 months of the year, so my perceptions are twisted, but that was just brutal. Of course, I signed up to try it again this year .

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    DH trails in DV are signed "no uphill traffic" pretty much all directly under Sterling lift. Not only is riding up bad ettiquette, its dangerous for everyone. All other trails in DV are two-way. Lots of uphill traffic on De Suds, Big Bear, Corvair, etc.

not sure what trails the OP used to go up, but I'd never consider riding up the lift serviced trails, too rooty, steep, and rocky. I have ridden up to the dog pound after hours, but thats the only time and place I'd go up the down.
    Last edited by miller542; 07-27-2014 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I agree with miller542, The Downhill only trails are generally right under the lifts, especially Sterling. Many of the other trails are xc trails, rideable in either direction. I rode tg yesterday while doing an xc loop , and while I rode it in the downhill direction I would not be surprised to see someone riding up it. It is one of the original trails in Park City (since before lift access)
    Less experienced riders take the lift up and then ride xc trails, they should expect to see riders going the other direction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    DH trails in DV are signed "no uphill traffic" pretty much all directly under Sterling lift. ........not sure what trails the OP used to go up,......
    Two of the three run ins I had where right at the base of the lift. The OP is me and I was straight DH on this trip and every other I have made to a lift served park.
    08 Rush Lefty, hand built flow XTR rims, Sram X9 rear d, Pushed RP 23 , 07 Ventana Cuervo, Trek 9.8 Icetech brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Another trail etiquette question DH at Deer Valley.

It's astonishing how many people choose to ride up clearly marked downhill only trails given the number of multidirectional trails in the Park City area.

I rode 4 days at Deer Valley the last few days and probably saw 5 people climbing up the downhill trails or fire roads. It got pretty dangerous and almost resulted in my falling when I was flying down the trails at a fast clip and suddenly had to stop because of an uphill rider. Not something you expect riding at a lift access bike park!