Annual trip to Zion. In search of a new ride.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bermzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    88

    Annual trip to Zion. In search of a new ride.

    Every year my ride group takes a trip to Zion. We always ride a couple days at Goose, one day at Little Creek, and a run down the Jem trail. Are there any other rad trails that we should check out? We prefer AM but a sweet XC trail is okay now and them.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,057
    Grafton Mesa (AM/DH) and Guacamole (XC Gooseberry-esque) come to mind. You might check out the new Quail Creek Trails just outside of Hurricane.

    There's some new trails around the JEM area too that need exploring. Goosebumps, Cryptobionic and Dead Ringer. If you've never done the full Gould's Rim to JEM to Hurricane Rim loop that's a good ride too.

    Or head over to St. George. There's a whole other two or three days worth of good trails 30 minutes away. Zen/ Barrels, Barrel Roll/Sidewinder/Precipice/Suicidal Tendencies, Bear Claw Poppy/Stucki Springs, etc.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  3. #3
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    North of St George there are trails I haven't rode but have been recommended such as Church Rock. That is a little west of where Hwy 9 to Zion intersects I-15. A bit tricky to go under the freeway to get there so ask about this area at one of the bike shops.

    With a short scenic drive you could ride the Thunder Mountain Trail near the west entrance to Bryce Canyon NP. Check videos on YouTube. It is a favorite of South UT riders. Mostly a flowy XC trail with some nice switchbacks to play with and fantastic scenery! The top is at 8,300' so check with the USFS to see if the snow melted.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,397
    Like KRob, I was going to suggest the new Boy Scout Trails at the Quail Creek Resevoir. They are like nothing else out there and while I would say they are XC in style, there are PLENTY of natural rock obstacles to spice up the ride. There is more than one that I won't be attempting anytime soon.

    Another one we rode down in St George area this last trip was the Zen Trail. That was a blast and the trail across the bottom has a lot of techy features. The trail as a whole won't tire you out like Goose but that bottom section is probably harder than anything at Goose.

  5. #5
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    The "bottom section" on Zen can be hard to spot as you are descending from the SW. The upper part along the rim has some attitude that will keep you busy and loose in the saddle but you have to make a sharp left before the power line road to return on the technical bottom section. I totally missed the turnoff.

    I watched from the power line road as riders disappeared on that lower return. I never saw them again. Something spooky there but I'll ride it next time.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,397
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    The "bottom section" on Zen can be hard to spot as you are descending from the SW. The upper part along the rim has some attitude that will keep you busy and loose in the saddle but you have to make a sharp left before the power line road to return on the technical bottom section. I totally missed the turnoff.

    I watched from the power line road as riders disappeared on that lower return. I never saw them again. Something spooky there but I'll ride it next time.
    Yep, we missed it but double backed and found it. Best part of the ride if you like slow speed techy stuff. Otherwise, it's a chunky Barrel Roll

  7. #7
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    I wanted to double back and try to find the trail but my wife was bleeding from an OTH on the descent so had to deal with that. She got kind of spunky on the trail and tried some technical stuff. Mostly she did great but there was an "exception" :-)

    In some ways I think Zen is harder than Gooseberry South Rim Trail but not sure yet. I was going to ride there a couple of weeks ago but I'm not into riding snow anymore.

    Outerbike in Moab this weekend!!!!

  8. #8
    Football44
    Reputation: GrandpaSnook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Grafton Mesa (AM/DH) and Guacamole (XC Gooseberry-esque) come to mind. You might check out the new Quail Creek Trails just outside of Hurricane.

    There's some new trails around the JEM area too that need exploring. Goosebumps, Cryptobionic and Dead Ringer. If you've never done the full Gould's Rim to JEM to Hurricane Rim loop that's a good ride too.

    Or head over to St. George. There's a whole other two or three days worth of good trails 30 minutes away. Zen/ Barrels, Barrel Roll/Sidewinder/Precipice/Suicidal Tendencies, Bear Claw Poppy/Stucki Springs, etc.
    ^Great blog. Learned a lot in just few minutes of reading. Well-traveled East coast guys heading out to St. George in a few weeks for the first time. It's gonna be sweet.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,986
    Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane has extensive info on new trail systems and established ones as well.

  10. #10
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    I'll be camping at Zion River RV Resort next week and riding at least two trails a day from Wednesday - Sunday. I'll extend the trip if necessary to ride all the better trails. I've only done parts of Gooseberry and the Zen trail so far so plenty to explore.

    Looks like great weather!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rottenbelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I'll be camping at Zion River RV Resort next week and riding at least two trails a day from Wednesday - Sunday. I'll extend the trip if necessary to ride all the better trails. I've only done parts of Gooseberry and the Zen trail so far so plenty to explore.

    Looks like great weather!
    I just did the new trails around jem the other day, goosebumps and dead ringer where fun.

    Thunder mtn is highly recommended. Very fun trail. The snow has melted off quite well at 3 peaks also.

  12. #12
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Yeah, I want to hit the JEM area trails right away. In that area I've only rode the road out to Rampage and back last Sept :-) It looks like a few days of riding there. Also targeting Guacamole, Church Rock, and those new trails at Quail Creek State Park mentioned in this thread.

    I've done half of Gooseberry's South Rim Trail before but would like to finish it this trip.

    I will not be trying the canyon jump at the Rampage site. I watched two crashes there at Rampage 2014. Riders and bikes get hauled off in stretchers.

    I was wondering if the snow was off Thunder Mountain. That is a favorite!!!! I made one of my Trail Analysis for Intermediates videos on YouTube on that trail. Not sure I want to ride it alone though. Wife will be with me in September and we want to bomb it with our new Yeti SB-95's.

    The hard part of this trip for me is not driving on to Fruita and Moab. If there is a surprise $1,500 deposited in my checking account next week I'll be there the following week.

    :-)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rottenbelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6
    I live in Cedar and all the snows pretty much gone. It should be gone at thunder also.
    I have been staying away from the rampage area gonna try something I regret I'm sure. I like the thin ridges and drops too much.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM
  2. Annual NWTA Field Trip
    By free-agent in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM
  3. Whatever happened to the annual bus trip to Ray's ?
    By ccaddy in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
  5. Trip Report: Zion NP & JEM Trail
    By big0mike in forum Arizona
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.