Anaheim to Moab. is rent a car the only way ?- Mtbr.com
    Living Life Behind Bars..

New question here. Anaheim to Moab. is rent a car the only way ?

I thought I could fly in from John Wayne or LAX to the Moab field airport as I will be here on a business trip but it would seem there is only one airline making the trip and it's out of Salt Lake City. Is the 12 hour drive a bad one or is it at least scenic ? I was dreading this option but I am out of ideas and I cannot change the business flight to and from

Any help would be apreciated as I have never been to Moab before and cannot pass up the oppurtunity as I will be so close this time.

I am renting a bike so I am not worried about cargo space etc.

Bored Carp
    If you like barren desert, then yes, it is scenic. Highlights include the canyon at the Nevada/Arizona/Utah border, and if you are heading down the 70, the San Rafel swell. Both are pretty cool.

I don't really think of Moab as being close to LA (used to live in LA, have done the drive a lot). But I guess if you live in Canada, it is. Why not fly to SLC and then transfer to Moab and rent a car there? The flight from LA to SLC is short, you will save yourself a lot of driving.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Thanks for the reply. I would fly into SLC but unfortunatly the ticket is not changeable so I have to get there from LA and then back to Canada from LA again. I wish I could change it but no luck. I think I am going to stuck with the drive but I suppose that's the price to play.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'll be honest with you...

I don't know how long you plan on being in Moab, but consider this. After driving 12 hours, you are going to be wrecked. And this time of year daylight is at a premium. Not a lot of riding that day. Gas is $3.00 a gallon for a 1500 mile round trip. By the time you consider the time and the gas, I can't imagine that you couldn't find a decent airline flight to SLC from where you live another time, and skip the hassle of driving.

Another thing to consider is weather. Conditions on I-15/I-70 can get pretty wicked between St. George and Moab. Anytime from mid-November to late March that is a possibility.

But, if you are determined to check Moab off your list, and you are up for the drive, have fun.

man this is not looking good..........

Attached Images Attached Images

Bored Carp
    JMH has a great story about being caught in a blizzard at Soldier Summit. It involves following the lights of a truck in order to stay on the road, and hoping that the truck itself stayed on the road...

Summary of responses:
    12 hour drive to get to Moab - not so bad if you have an entire vacation in between the out and back. Kind of pointless if you only have a day or two. Save you money/time, plan a trip for spring or fall (see all threads titled "Moab in July?"), and bring your own bike. You will have a lot more fun.

Moab is awesome:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7600049411259/
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Options

Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    JMH has a great story about being caught in a blizzard at Soldier Summit. It involves following the lights of a truck in order to stay on the road, and hoping that the truck itself stayed on the road...

Summary of responses:
    12 hour drive to get to Moab - not so bad if you have an entire vacation in between the out and back. Kind of pointless if you only have a day or two. Save you money/time, plan a trip for spring or fall (see all threads titled "Moab in July?"), and bring your own bike. You will have a lot more fun.

Moab is awesome:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7600049411259/

I think it would be good to point out here that Soldier Summit is between SLC and Moab, not LA and Moab. It is even more or a risk than i-15/i-70 LA to Moab, since it goes higher.

Getting to Moab is a bit of a hassle. There is the puddle jumper from SLC to Moab, but they have had a lot of issues with the 'airline' that flys the route, and there are negotiations underway right now to change the provider again.

Otherwise, your options are pretty limited. Fly to SLC and drive four hours, three of which are two lane and includes Soldier Summit, or fly to Grand Junction and drive 1.5 hours, which is a good option until you find out how much it costs to fly into there, fly to Durango or Telluride, three hour drive and again, generally very expensive, fly into Denver and do a chancy in the winter 6 hour drive (which has take me up to FOURTEEN hours, and once I couldn't make it at all), or fly into LasVegas and drive 8 hours. I guess Flagstaff and a four hour drive is another option....

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I think it would be good to point out here that Soldier Summit is between SLC and Moab, not LA and Moab. It is even more or a risk than i-15/i-70 LA to Moab, since it goes higher. ...
    True, but we don't have any good stories about that drive yet (though, you could ask our friends at Corsair about getting stuck in the smoke this summer on the 70 - it took hours and hours to traverse) :-).

We have also been caught in a September snowstorm in the Escalante (also very high altitude). Not a big deal for JMH and I at the time, but we felt really bad for the guys on motorcycles standing in the weather, hoping it would pass...

I do love driving in Utah, though, it is one of my favorite things to do. We always find such great stuff when we take a new way home.

Members who have read this thread: 0